Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a Kona Hei Hei 100/120 and have been doing some XC racing for fun only. It's also my only bike so I use it for everything. The bike is great but when I'm out just trail riding I wish I had a little more rear travel. I have even taken the bike to the bike park but I am not the kind of guy to do 10ft drops or massive jumps.

With the current evil sale I am now thinking about getting the Following MB frame or putting together another bike with a Wreckoning LB frame.

Thing about the Wreck is that I will mostly be taking it to the bike park less than 10 times per year and rest of the time I would be on the Kona so it would barely get used. The Following MB would definitely get way more use as my do everything bike. Would it be fine for the bike park on regular stuff with small jumps?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The Following MB is sold out on their site. Like mentioned above the Offering would be the better choice.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Following MB is sold out on their site. Like mentioned above the Offering would be the better choice.
What that said... I just went from Following MB to Offering - better climbing and down all around. No downside at all.

·
Hisforever
1,856 Posts
offering rips like all the evils before it, just goes up a little better than the rest of them.

still not a yeti or an ibis but pretty dam good

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended up ordering a wreckoning frame. I really like my Hei Hei so 2 bike quiver will offer more versatility.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Since you already have a short travel bike...you might as well get the longer travel bike vs going with something in the middle.

·
Registered
578 Posts
just lined up my Wrecker and my FMB up on my driveway, and I'll be darned, neither one of them climbed up to the street! i couldn't believe it, with all of this talk about how well a bike climbs, they did nothing on their own.

I had, all at the same time, a Wrecker, Offering and FMB. I could climb the FMB faster for longer than both of the others. I could descend the Wrecker faster, for longer than the others. I have eliminated the Offering from my stable...it was a Jack of Many Trades, Master of None.

But, but, but! That 77* STA! That means it has to get to the top faster! I hear ya. Can somebody deliver the message to Nino Schurter that the 73.8* STA on his Scott Spark is costing him dearly! The Trek SuperCaliber is an appalling 70.5*. I guess XC bikes don't go up hills. The steep STA is a by product of longer reach. Its the only way to keep TT in check while opening up the attack position. Easy enough to market to get more money out of our pockets.

At any rate...I would choose a set of open ended wrenches over a crescent wrench every time, if the bank account supported it. both approaches will get the job done, but both are not the right tool for every job. Congrats on your Wrecker.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
just lined up my Wrecker and my FMB up on my driveway, and I'll be darned, neither one of them climbed up to the street! i couldn't believe it, with all of this talk about how well a bike climbs, they did nothing on their own.

I had, all at the same time, a Wrecker, Offering and FMB. I could climb the FMB faster for longer than both of the others. I could descend the Wrecker faster, for longer than the others. I have eliminated the Offering from my stable...it was a Jack of Many Trades, Master of None.

But, but, but! That 77* STA! That means it has to get to the top faster! I hear ya. Can somebody deliver the message to Nino Schurter that the 73.8* STA on his Scott Spark is costing him dearly! The Trek SuperCaliber is an appalling 70.5*. I guess XC bikes don't go up hills. The steep STA is a by product of longer reach. Its the only way to keep TT in check while opening up the attack position. Easy enough to market to get more money out of our pockets.

At any rate...I would choose a set of open ended wrenches over a crescent wrench every time, if the bank account supported it. both approaches will get the job done, but both are not the right tool for every job. Congrats on your Wrecker.
So did you climb better on your Wrecker than you could on your Offering and did your FMB descend better than your Offering?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yeah that's one of the reasons I decided against a so called jack of all trades. I always laugh at the shops I visit that tell me that their best selling 140-150mm bike will climb just as good as my hei hei.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts

When you tested all of the Evil 29ers were you running the same wheels and tires on each?

I can't speak to the FMB, but I think the Offering climbs better than the Following V1. I currently have both set up with identical wheels and tires. The Offering weighs about 1 pound more than my Following build. I've ridden them back to back on the same trails and the Offering definitely pedals better/feels easier. I don't use strava or time anything so I don't have objective data, but from a subjective standpoint the Offering is a better climber for me. The Bible of Bikes guys came to the same conclusion.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
When you tested all of the Evil 29ers were you running the same wheels and tires on each?

I can't speak to the FMB, but I think the Offering climbs better than the Following V1. I currently have both set up with identical wheels and tires. The Offering weighs about 1 pound more than my Following build. I've ridden them back to back on the same trails and the Offering definitely pedals better/feels easier. I don't use strava or time anything so I don't have objective data, but from a subjective standpoint the Offering is a better climber for me. The Bible of Bikes guys came to the same conclusion.
The FMB and the V1 have the same STA. The FMB in medium has a 15mm longer reach than the V1.

·
Registered
578 Posts
So did you climb better on your Wrecker than you could on your Offering and did your FMB descend better than your Offering?
DELTA has incredible midstroke support....leverage ratio starts firming up at the sag point, similarly on each model. After each gets beyond their sag, they all behave almost the same. Their Anti Squat numbers are dang near identical, also. All of that tells you they are going to behave very similar to pedal and rider input. I was not measurably faster uphill on any one of them. On the downs, it depends on how rowdy and for how long. For standard trail riding, the Offering was no faster on the downs. For bike park flow trails, the Offering was fine. Put it in the chunk, it was immediately apparent that the rear of the bike couldnt keep up with the F36 front....whereas the Wrecker did just fine.

My Wrecker is full time outfitted with DH carbon layup, Cush, and DD or DH treads. In spite of its heft and rolling resistance, it still responds to input with forward momentum. The Offering and FMB were outfitted with DD casings and no inserts.

****disclaimer**** my FMB is 140 front w a -1* angleset.

·
Registered
468 Posts
DELTA has incredible midstroke support....leverage ratio starts firming up at the sag point, similarly on each model. After each gets beyond their sag, they all behave almost the same. Their Anti Squat numbers are dang near identical, also. All of that tells you they are going to behave very similar to pedal and rider input. I was not measurably faster uphill on any one of them. On the downs, it depends on how rowdy and for how long. For standard trail riding, the Offering was no faster on the downs. For bike park flow trails, the Offering was fine. Put it in the chunk, it was immediately apparent that the rear of the bike couldnt keep up with the F36 front....whereas the Wrecker did just fine.

My Wrecker is full time outfitted with DH carbon layup, Cush, and DD or DH treads. In spite of its heft and rolling resistance, it still responds to input with forward momentum. The Offering and FMB were outfitted with DD casings and no inserts.

disclaimer my FMB is 140 front w a -1* angleset.
This post of yours is what first got me looking at your Offering vs Wreckoning vs Druid posts. The new V2 Offering has very balanced geometry, but it doesn't seem like what I want, especially wishing 210-225 pounds and wanting a bike park rig primarily. I wish I could demo the new Mega 290 and the Wreckoning. Enduro MTB's write-up of the 2021 Mega 290 has me so curious about that bike. But the new Wrecker has better all-around geometry and is actually available haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts