Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Shimano XT I think its a M750, here's the item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250257141076&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=015

I put it on and I can't get the outer cage any closer to the big chainring than 6mm. I've spent hours on this thing. The inner cage hits the middle chainring if I get any closer. So it shifts ok but rubs a lot when its on the outer cogs, and the chain shifted off onto my foot once. :madman: I have a Shimano M341 22/32/42 crankset running an 8 speed. So in my inexperienced mind, it seems that this derailleur isn't compatible. So I guess unless I'm doing something incredibly stupid (which is likely, this is my 1st time doing this), I'll probably get rid of this one, and buy a different one, possibly a newer XT. So will the M770 work out better for me? Also, can a 9 speed chain be used on an 8 speed drivetrain?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thats pretty much identical to the setup i did.

After looking around a bit, I noticed this:

# M770 Low clamp, bottom swing 44t front chainring max
# M772 Low clamp, bottom swing 48t front chainring max

So perhaps the derailleur I have now is a 48T max. The radius of it does look different than my 44T chainring. In that case, a m770 should work.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
If you're running a 9 speed front derailleur with an 8 speed drivetrain you'll find the chain rubs on the side plates once you try to get to more than about 5 of the 9 rear cogs.

I have run across the same clearance problem with the inner plate hitting the middle ring on a new XTR derailleur on my ETSX Rocky, I have about 4mm of space between the cage and the big ring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.