Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build up a DJ/Urban rig. I would like to go aluminium for weight since I am smaller, though not a big deal. I am looking at building up a Fetish Cycles FIxation, link is below. Anyone know what kind of abuse these can handle? Seems to have the gusseting and boxed out rear to be pretty tough. Any comments would help. Any ideas for fork travel? I have a 150mm DJ2 off my big hit, thinking about running that for a bit before doing a 110mm travel change. Thanks

http://www.fetishcycles.com/Fixation.html

·
Registered
771 Posts
Alright, It is a common misconception that aluminum is lighter. I do not know much about the Fetish, but many times steel can be just as light if not lighter. Look at brands such as Black Market, Staats, Nemesis Project Cycles (Would be a good choice since your smaller and Nemesis is mostly 24''s)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In this case it is...

the steelhead weighs around 7lbs and the fixation comes in at 4.6lbs I was looking at getting a 17'' Fetish Cycles Fixation. I am 5' 7'', will this fit for DJ/urban and some dh/fr? I have also been thinking about a steelhead. Any suggestions? Has anyone heard much aobut these fixation frames? Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah but...

190 shipped for a fixation vs 750 before shipping for a sinister

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
East Coast Bender said:
Alright, It is a common misconception that aluminum is lighter. I do not know much about the Fetish, but many times steel can be just as light if not lighter. Look at brands such as Black Market, Staats, Nemesis Project Cycles (Would be a good choice since your smaller and Nemesis is mostly 24''s)
I agree with ECB !!!

Look into one of the higher quaility frames listed above .. I prefer the NemesisProject :D
But I'm biasis !

I have seen the Fetish bikes around S.F. at local bike swaps and such , nice but not the bike I would put my neck on the line jumping a set of doubles or jumping a big gap riding urban .

Bikes like the BlkMRKT and Nemesis Project frames use TrueTemper OX platinum material not just mill spec chromoly .
( IE: for aluminum you can't beat a Sinister !!!! FTW is the man !! )

Do some research on bords like this one and you find most customer's of these bikes ( nicer frames like the BLKMRKT, Nemesis Project , Evil Sovereign , IF's new jumping bike , Sinister DNA if you want aluminum ) who ride nicer urban rigs such as these flat out love them , were is owners of SteelHeads and Fetishes always seems to want something extra from there bikes and usually run into small but very frustrating probles like whees moving , chain line and these bikes leave them wanting something more .. something they cant get with these cheeper rigs ..... it's called ride feel !
You want your bike to respond to everything you put into it , most lowerpriced bikes have straight guage tubes which tend to take away from the bikes ride overall performance .

Basically with bikes you get what you pay for ! Do some research and buy the best !
You wont be dissapointed !!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah I am on a budget so spending $400-800 on a frame is not much of an option. So should I just get the steelhead ($151 at jensonuse.com) since I haven't heard any compaints instead of gettting a fetish. I want something strong and affordable. Any tips on frames under 250, I know it is a low budget for a frame, but hey. Anything will help. Thanks for your input guys. You guys know whats up, tell me what to do. Budget is a pain in the ass. Liste my best bets and prices if you could. I would love to spend the money on a high end frame, but can't exactly. Any suggestions. So no go on the fetish? what about the steelhead, those and an Azonic evolution II are all that I have been able to find that I can afford to put the cash down on. I'd spend 300 on something Ill and strong. Thanks fellas!

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
W7_311 said:
So should I just get the steelhead ($151 at jensonuse.com) since I haven't heard any compaints instead of gettting a fetish. I want something strong and affordable.
check out unrealcycles.com, all they sell is quality hardtails, and they have some good deals and variety.

if your budget is under $200, i would go for the steelhead. that's what i went for, it's a fun frame (steel definatly feels better than aluminum). i would agree with evilbc, at that price, quality is a roll of the dice, although i haven't had any issues with my steezhead.

·
CNC Dude
97 Posts
W7_311 said:
Yeah I am on a budget so spending $400-800 on a frame is not much of an option. So should I just get the steelhead ($151 at jensonuse.com) since I haven't heard any compaints instead of gettting a fetish. I want something strong and affordable. Any tips on frames under 250, I know it is a low budget for a frame, but hey. Anything will help. Thanks for your input guys. You guys know whats up, tell me what to do. Budget is a pain in the ass. Liste my best bets and prices if you could. I would love to spend the money on a high end frame, but can't exactly. Any suggestions. So no go on the fetish? what about the steelhead, those and an Azonic evolution II are all that I have been able to find that I can afford to put the cash down on. I'd spend 300 on something Ill and strong. Thanks fellas!
Check out the .243 Racing frames, or the On-One Gimp...

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
I've heard alot of good things about the Mountain Cycles Rumble. Fairly cheap as well.

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=586

I personaly picked up a Azonic DS-1 for $100. Works fairly well for DJ and Urban, but I'm not sure its a frame I would want to huck. The steelhead on the other hand has the extra beef to do it all, and the price is killer for a decent hardtail.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
East Coast Bender said:
ya, not sure how small you are, but i am 5'4-5", and i have a nemesis project street fighter.. it;s like 5-5.5lbs, and 24" wheels.

it is super nimble and is easy to flick around.

and there is the black market which if i remember correctly is/was 4.5 lbs. that;s a really good 26" bike too.

both of those are steel. i would not get aluminum, but if you are set on it, buy the frame in my signature. it was tight w/ 26's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mountain Cycle Rumble...

that is a good deal the only problem is they only have a small. I am 5' 6-7'', will a small fit me? I am open to more suggestions, links are a big help too. Thanks for the help.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
nobodies said SOUL CYCLES yet. they make great frames. they have a cheaper v. of the Banshee cromo and a cheaper v. of the Evil Imperial that rock my socks off.

im going to get one come next spring

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What about a 13'' Woodman elite? Anyone heard of these or think it will fit?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cove Foreplay...

How does a slightly ridden used Cove Foreplay for 400 shipped sound?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.