Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you seen my steel framed, 5" tired, threaded bottom bracket fat bike? Me either.

I've lurked here for a long time and never spoken up. I much prefer researching to asking questions, but I'm at a loss here. I'm looking for help in finding a new fat bike with a specific set of attributes. I would like a steel frame, a 190mm/5" rear, a threaded bottom bracket and no suspension.

I've looked, researched, Bing/Google/Duck Duck Go'd and still haven't found "the one". I was very certain that the Surly Ice Cream Truck was it, but the press-fit bottom bracket took it of of my list.

Does the bike I am looking for exist? It seems an obvious set of attributes, given all of the check boxes fat bike riders are looking for. Why is it so difficult to find?

I'm not planning on immediately running 5" tires, but the option is nice. Part of me (a rather large part, actually) is telling me to just buy a Pugsley and shut up. But, I worry about the longevity of the offset hub and go back to looking for the above.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
...I worry about the longevity of the offset hub and go back to looking for the above.
There is absolutely no problem with that. The Pug has been around since fatbikes were a tiny niche, and I'm not aware of any hub issues connected to the offset wheel.

Just normal hub problems like poor maintenance, jetwashing, immersion in salt water, etc.

The nice bonus of offset is you have a huge range of lightweight high quality hubs available at mass market instead of niche prices, so cheap replacement if you manage to wreck one.

I think it's a Moonie you want though if you want 5" tyres, although you can get the 4.8" into a Pug.

·
Thingamejigger
1,215 Posts
I worry about the longevity of the offset hub and go back to looking for the above.
As Velobike say's the hub's are not a problem, just standard mtb ones so you can fit anything you wish... but a pugs won't run your 5 inch tyres...... a Moonlander on the other hand.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was very certain that the Surly Ice Cream Truck was it, but the press-fit bottom bracket took it of of my list.
IMO, every off-the-shelf frame is a compromise. The only way around it is to have a custom frame built to your specifications.

I am curious as to why you don't want a press-fit BB. It wouldn't stop me from buying a frame if it meets my other criteria, but maybe I'm missing a compelling reason.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Beicster is right. The Lurch (which I have sitting in my garage) checks off each of your boxes for a great price and a solid spec list. (I'll sell you my 21" w/ 160miles on it...)

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
of all of the shortfalls that a moonlander may have, the 135mm hub is not one of them. Do some perusing here and you will find many threads about nearly every make of 190mm hub having problems. Apart from SLX/XT free hub issues, which are endemic to the shimano line, there are no such problems with 135mm offset hub bikes.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Have you seen my steel framed, 5" tired, threaded bottom bracket fat bike? Me...

I'm in the same boat.

I don't necessarily need 190 spacing (my Moonie is for 5" tires), but wouldn't rule it out. Steel, short stays, slack front, threaded BB, rear sliders, thru axles, and preferably a matching steel fork.

I'm also interested in the ICT but am afraid of the press fit BB. I spoke to a frame builder last week and although he doesn't like press fit either, he felt in that application the super wide BB would provide more support and mitigate the press fit negatives. I also haven't read any complaints coming from the ICT/Salsa threads about any creaks or issues.

Forgot to mention the Vassago VerFetten. 170/177 spacing only but seems to hit most everything else. Price is reasonable too. I'm really surprised this frame hasn't gotten more attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
870 Posts
It seems there are so many options to bikes nowadays hardly anyone is happy with what's available. Me, I wanted a 135mm symmetrical build on steel frame with big center traingle, with sliding dropouts and fairly slack geometry. No such beast exists so I made my own... if you have the money and time maybe take a frame building class and build your own, it's a great way to learn the trade and then you can build future frames as well if you invest a bit more in some tools.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I'd trust a 135mm DT Swiss or King more than 95% of the 190mm+ hubs on the market right now.

I'd only really trust the 197mm DT Swiss, but a bit less, since it is a v1 right now and it seems that fat bike hubs are exploding a lot more than I'd expect right now. We'll see if some new overall engineering thought needs to be brought into the picture after a few more years of broad use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, a lot of great information from everyone!

I should clarify a few things. I misspoke, in the original post. I'm not concerned about the 135mm hub, but the long term availability of offset rims. Additionally, I would prefer the full bottle and cage boss assortment, because I bikepack. Usually with kids, so I am often bringing gear for other people. Realistically, I would like to keep costunder $3,000.

I am pretty sure the Motobecane Lurch fits your criteria.
I had considered the Lurch, but there are a lot of concerns about current build quality and an over large q-factor, so I ruled that out. The Benefat looks great, but lacks bottle and rack bosses, which I would prefer to have as well.

I am curious as to why you don't want a press-fit BB. It wouldn't stop me from buying a frame if it meets my other criteria, but maybe I'm missing a compelling reason.
I've never had a press fit bottom bracket, but I don't like what I am hearing about them. On multiple forums, anytime someone asks about them, the thread is completely filled with people that hate them. Their concerns seem valid and, as I don't *have* to have one, I think I'll steer clear of them.

Like stated above Matter Benefat and Twenty2 Cycles does a steel Bully as well.
That Bully is really cool. Any idea what the prices are?

Forgot to mention the Vassago VerFetten. 170/177 spacing only but seems to hit most everything else. Price is reasonable too. I'm really surprised this frame hasn't gotten more attention.
The VerFetten is a great looking frame, but it also lacks the bosses that I am looking for.

I hadn't heard of all the 190mm hub issues. What's going on with those?

Thank you again, for all of the ideas.

[edit] Apparently, there is a limit to the rep you can give out... :eek:ut:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Take a look at wayward Cycles Oodnadatta, 197x12 thru axle rear and 150x15 thru axle front, does have a press fit 30 BB, frame and fork are steel, 44mm headtube, $1199 Australian dollars.

I just ordered one myself and will build up to replace my Ti 170/135 fatty :)
Wayward Bicycle Company

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a pretty bike. Reminds me of a wide Genesis Caribou. I wonder what it costs in importation fees?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts