Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight the strangest thing happened to me. I ran over a raccoon...on my bike! I feel really bad for the thing, but what else do you do when a raccoon sees you, then starts charging right at you? It happened really fast - if it had been daylight, I would have seen it from further away and would have stopped from a distance until it cleared the trail. I didn't see it until it was about 10 or 20 feet away, and I was cruising at about 10 miles per hour on my cyclocross. When it saw me, it immediately started running right at me! I didn't really know what to do, so I just stayed my course. As I was going over it, I heard the raccoon do kind of a bark/yelp thing like a dog. I don't know what happened to it. I was riding with a female friend and we were both pretty freaked out by it, so we just kept riding and did not look back. We wanted OFF that trail - we were finishing up the last 2 miles of a 73 mile rail-to-trail conversion, and were afraid 10 of the raccoon's friends were going to jump us! Anyway, just thought I'd share my story and ask if anyone has experienced anything like this. Please note that I did not mean to harm the raccoon - I just didn't know what else to do. I was honestly a little shocked my cyclocross was able to take on a raccoon! :eekster:

·
since 4/10/2009
32,921 Posts
odd behavior. I've seen raccoons behave that way when they're protecting young, but it's a bit late in the season for that. I'd be concerned about a diseased animal. 99% of the raccoons I've seen (save for the one protecting young, and one I found that had distemper) have run away lickity split.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
odd behavior. I've seen raccoons behave that way when they're protecting young, but it's a bit late in the season for that. I'd be concerned about a diseased animal. 99% of the raccoons I've seen (save for the one protecting young, and one I found that had distemper) have run away lickity split.
Yeah, we kind of wished the raccoons acted more like the deer and squirrels we saw. Sometimes deer will sit there and stare at you, but usually they won't charge you! I really don't know how many raccoons there were. I thought I saw 4, but my friend thought she only saw 2. Fortunately, she missed the one that was on her side of the trail. Of course, it wasn't crazy and didn't charge her!

·
since 4/10/2009
32,921 Posts
Yeah, we kind of wished the raccoons acted more like the deer and squirrels we saw. Sometimes deer will sit there and stare at you, but usually they won't charge you! I really don't know how many raccoons there were. I thought I saw 4, but my friend thought she only saw 2. Fortunately, she missed the one that was on her side of the trail. Of course, it wasn't crazy and didn't charge her!
did you ride at Tyler State Park in Texas, by chance? I was out there with some friends who saw several raccoons today.

·
9 lives
16,819 Posts
I ran over a garter snake a couple years ago. A squirrel once ran into my front wheel and bounced off the spokes. I recently had a close call with a giant jack rabbit sitting on a DH trail. He had nerves of steel and wouldn;t budge so I had to ride around him
I've had close brushes with deer and bears ... but never a raccoon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It seems the poor thing paid for its mistake, **** happens.I have more trouble with deer and owls and beavers.Been a few times when I have had close calls with deer, at night time with a powerful headlight had one bound in front of me at close proximity.This was out on my greenbelt commute, happened three times thus far.Owls? had a few dive bomb my helmet, scared the crap out of me.Beaver? it was big and wet and in the middle of the path, made me a bit horny:ihih::crazy:

·
Is not amused
3,205 Posts
Aggression is one of the main signs of rabies, as well. That was one of my first thoughts when I read the OP.
I was thinking bath salts.

OP glad your okay. One time at night going over a huge log roll over there was a skunk sitting on the other side, luckily it ran off before I rolled over it and wasn't sprayed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
wierd only because on our trail ride yesterday there was a rabbit in the middle of a downhill dirt road section, I was already near full speed when I saw him, he never moved, thank god because your mind goes into this fast calculation of what to do, what to expect etc etc. My friend who was a few yards in front of me went one side and i went the other, basically neither us actually changed our trajectories. The rabbit never moved for the 20 other riders in our group, he must of been sick.

Almost hit a snake once in Australia, was on a footpath with my then 4 yr old son, don't know what kind of snake but in that country you don't stop to check!

The worst was about six weeks ago, a wasp flew into my mouth and by the time I spat and brushed him away he stung me twice on the lips. Hurt like hell for the next 5 or so hours.

·
Registered
602 Posts
A friend of mine ran over a 2.5' iguana right in front of me last week. He saw us coming and panicked I guess. He darted towards the lake to hide, but it was right in the path of my buddies bike. Not sure what happened to him since we just kept going.

·
'11 Opus Strat
464 Posts
Dude, ***** are huge, Like bigger than most fatty house cats. I've seen countless motorcycles wipe out, few cars even loose control because of hitting one..not to mention the damage they cause!. So if you were to "run over one", I think that should be rephrased to "Hit one and went OTB".. Try rabbits, shine them with your light at night and they don't move an inch! LOL

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dude, ***** are huge, Like bigger than most fatty house cats. I've seen countless motorcycles wipe out, few cars even loose control because of hitting one..not to mention the damage they cause!. So if you were to "run over one", I think that should be rephrased to "Hit one and went OTB".. Try rabbits, shine them with your light at night and they don't move an inch! LOL
Well, maybe it helped that I weigh 215 pounds and had a cargo bag on the back of the bike (attached to a rack) that added another 15 to 20 pounds. I'm a litte surprized I didn't wipe out, but somehow I managed not to. I'm just glad that raccoon didn't jump on my face!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Glad you're okay and surprised you didn't go over the bars. Only ridden part of the Wabash trail once and it is a beautiful trail. Hope to get out there sometime this fall. Not sure why a raccoon would charge you, unless it's sick or protecting babies.

·
'11 Opus Strat
464 Posts
Well, maybe it helped that I weigh 215 pounds and had a cargo bag on the back of the bike (attached to a rack) that added another 15 to 20 pounds. I'm a litte surprized I didn't wipe out, but somehow I managed not to. I'm just glad that raccoon didn't jump on my face!
Got lucky bro, hit a soft/squishy one! lol. They are one vicious little bastards, My grandparents had a Dairy farm when we were kids. We had to trap all the ***** to keep the excrement/diseases out of the barn, lot of the times we would get a mother and there would be 4-7 babies huddling outside the cage around her.. As kids we obviously couldn't kill them or just let them go because they wouldn't survive. Luckily we had a soft heart'ed Grandpa who built a big cage ( at least 10ft high with tree limbs and hiding boxes, 12x12 square ), Super sweet little things when they are young, but give them 8 months and it all goes bad, got to let them go ASAP! ( MILES AWAY from the Barn by the way lol )

1 - 20 of 61 Posts