Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I built up a Burner in March 05 (with a lot of great help from here) and injured my back shortly afterwards. I have only been able to ride it half a dozen times and it still looks like new (pic attached - it still looks like this!)

Sine I'm not using it, someone else should get the benefit from it. My question is how much should I ask for it and where is the best place to sell it in the UK?

Many thanks for your help guys,

Tidybeard

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry to hear about your back.....

Such a fine steed deserves a loving partner, try www.bikemagic.co.uk, or place it on the classified here (shipping may be costly to the US though). For what its worth, i saw a Burner go for £600 ($1100) not long back, slightly less well specced than yours though.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
fwiw dont price your turner in comparison to how much people sell theirs im america for on ebay, prices in america are much lower with almost everything bike related ive found.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try singletrack classifieds (www.singletrackworld.co.uk). I've bought and sold quite a lot of stuff from there.

The forum members tend to be quite knowledgeable which has pros and cons (i.e. they'll know what a Burner is but they maybe won't pay top dollar).

E-bay is more of a lottery but you can get a higher price (people seem to pay mad money for bike stuff on E-bay).

HTH

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. I'll look at all those possibilities.

I can still ride up and down flat surfaces but anything bumpy gives me big problems (two burst discs). The Burner seems a bit too good to ride on the pavement!

Thanks again all,

TB

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't mind at all. In January 2005 I started training quite hard, lifting some heavyish weights (without proper instruction - can you see where this is going?). After a couple of months I started to get some pain in my back but foolishly assumed it was my body benefiting from the training ("no pain no gain").

One day in early summer I picked up my Daughter and felt a click in my back. About 20 minutes later I was on the floor, unable to move. It was agony and an MRI showed up that two of the discs in my lower back had burst. They had been "bulging" (the squashy stuff between the bones was poking out) and because I ignored it and kept training they eventually burst - the squashy stuff just heads out into your system and in my case one of the discs was resting on a nerve.

Anyway, enough waffle. The upshot is that two years later after some good physio and various injections/procedures it's OK unless I put it under any stress (like running, mountain biking, heavy lifting, etc.) Thus my decision to sell the Turner.....although I wouldn't be surprised to see me keep it and have the most over-specced pavement cruiser around:thumbsup:

If there's a moral here I guess that it's if it hurts, don't ignore it:nono:

Take it easy,

TB

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
wowsa. such a sad story. hope ya can now at least pick up yer little girl.

i say sell it, buy yerself a beer and a big tired town bike with a trailer, then get her a few dolls. buy more beer with whatevers left.

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words CC. Any plan that starts with a beer and ends with a beer works for me:thumbsup:

No problems picking up my Daughter, she's only five (my little boy is two), I just need to take it easy and make sure I don't do any more damage. I'm only 35 and have another 100 years of life to enjoy!

Cheers,

TB

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Cactus,

Well, you did say keep you posted......

I had a good day today. This morning a guy at work offered me a good price for the Burner frame so I accepted.

Then I started to think about how to sell the rest of the bike.
Then I started to think about what if I had a bike with a bit more travel that was a bit more upright, bit more plush - maybe that would ease the back a little.
Then I started to think that I love riding my bike and I'm damned if I'm going to give it up.
Then I e-mailed Chad to see what he had around......
Then I ordered an RFX frame......
Then I realised I didn't have a fork to go with it so Chad sorted me out with a Nixon at a great price to get me moving.......
Then I looked at the pound/dollar exchange rate.....
Then I realised that my new RFX was going to cost me the net price (after selling the Burner) of 150 pounds (300 dollars ish)......

Not exactly what I had in mind when I decided to sell the Burner, but sometimes life's too short and you have to go for it, you know?

Like I said, I had a good day.......:thumbsup: Looks like I'm meant to be a homer....

TB

·
12,942 Posts
oh chad? got any killer deasl on wheels? my front qr wont work on this 20mm through axle nixon after all. and oh shyt! my brake lines are all too short! (maybe)

this is cool news pal! im stoked for ya and i hope it all works out.

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:D Thanks!

The Nixons are the Super TPC with QR (I did check that!) so I'm OK there....

Didn't think about brake lines but I do have quite a bit of excess at the moment - we'll see....

Anyway, I won't need brakes, I'll be riding my RFX to the shops and back on the pavement, remember?:eek:

Cheers,

TB

·
12,942 Posts
my bad. thought nixons were 20mm 1 and all. not much of a man-in-you fan ya see.

yeah, looked like ya might squeeze out a extra 2" from the hydro lines.

brakes are overrated. all they do is slow ya down.

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never had Manitous and was going to try the 130mm TALAS from the Burner but I think the A-C would be too short for the RFX. When I say a killer deal on the Nixons I mean about as much as I spend filling my car with petrol (!) so not too much risk - if I don't like them I'll easily get my money back on them and if I've got back into riding I'll sell the Nixons and the TALAS to fund some Van 36s or 66s or something.

Can you tell I'm excited:D Just need to remind myself to take it very easy at first and see how the old back holds up.....

I should just say that your sympathetic posts to a stranger reminded me of why I love riding and the biking community so much, especially the Turner board here. Now to sit by the front door and wait for the delivery van....for five days.....

·
12,942 Posts
for what yer gonna do, the nixon will be just fine. if ya start to get the least bit aggro, think of a change, just like ya say.

its a good group overall man. no worries. i get the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.