Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine owns a LBS and is a Jamis dealer.
I hear alot of really good things about Jamis bikes. I curently own a 2005 Rocky Mountain Switch, with some mods like CK headset and front hub, triple 8 fork. I love the bike, period, but,
I ride with my wife, and need a "do it all" bike. I am not really into the big hit stuff as its not really my thing, but like to tackle it once in a while.
Can the Dakar XLT 2.0 handle the shore if I decide to ride it once in a while? can it handle whistler?
I am up to 7 bikes( wife has 4, me 3) and need to cut back... the maintenance on them is becoming a full time job alone..
Anyway I am trading, no money involved my switch for the dakar... my only concerns, the fork isnt 20mm, and only130mm travel, 150 would be nicer, can the frame handle 150mm fork?
I will be getting the bike tomorrow. I got it in olive/black ano, as the GTO orange/black ano stands out too much for me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
is it an '05 xlt? if it's '04 and below, ask the lbs to change the chainstay, it is prone to breakage. if its '05 and up, no worries on that. by the way, it's an awesome bike, no disapointments :thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thomson4Life said:
is it an '05 xlt? if it's '04 and below, ask the lbs to change the chainstay, it is prone to breakage. if its '05 and up, no worries on that. by the way, it's an awesome bike, no disapointments :thumbsup:
its an 06... i will be receiving it in the box as per my request that way i will put it together

·
Paste eater
3,717 Posts
wickerman1 said:
its an 06... i will be receiving it in the box as per my request that way i will put it together
A 150mm fork would make the HT angle really slack ~67degrees. I've got a 130mm Vanilla and LOVE it. It still climbs like a mule and the vanilla eats up the descents... I ride Some gnarly trails but I also cover long distances so it's a great compromise IMO. Maybe an adjustable fork would work well for you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
with the right build ZI thik it would ride the shore fine...

wickerman1 said:
A friend of mine owns a LBS and is a Jamis dealer.
I hear alot of really good things about Jamis bikes. I curently own a 2005 Rocky Mountain Switch, with some mods like CK headset and front hub, triple 8 fork. I love the bike, period, but,
I ride with my wife, and need a "do it all" bike. I am not really into the big hit stuff as its not really my thing, but like to tackle it once in a while.
Can the Dakar XLT 2.0 handle the shore if I decide to ride it once in a while? can it handle whistler?
I am up to 7 bikes( wife has 4, me 3) and need to cut back... the maintenance on them is becoming a full time job alone..
Anyway I am trading, no money involved my switch for the dakar... my only concerns, the fork isnt 20mm, and only130mm travel, 150 would be nicer, can the frame handle 150mm fork?
I will be getting the bike tomorrow. I got it in olive/black ano, as the GTO orange/black ano stands out too much for me.
i.e. coil shock for the shore, and a Marzocchi All Mountain 1 fork... (sell the stock fork immediately or keep it as a backup)

the all mountain has adjustable travel (TAS) from 130mm to 150mm, and ETA for climbing efficiency. Also has QR dropouts for wheelset compatability. You may consider getting your wheelsets' spoke tension tightened up as well to increase stiffness (since no Thru-axle)

the Marz ROCO is avail in a 7.875" x 2" stroke shock, and when the new vanilla R comes out they will prob have that size as well.

I think it is a great "all around" frame. beefy enough to not fold under hits, but can be built to ~ 30 with careful parts choices.

i feel that it runs a little bit small too... I am 6'1" and I got the 19"... very flick-able and is great for drops and stunts and DH singletrack

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
It may void the warranty, but I run a Z150FRSL with no troubles as do two other people I know. In fact, one of them put a triple clamp on the sucker for downhilling at Windrock, Tenn., which is pretty close to some of the stuff in BC. My bike was borrowed by a visiting friend who won Expert DH Nationals at Mt. Snow but wanted a trail bike (he rides the giant DH Turner) for the weekend. He frickin' loved it and rode it hard...
But it has been stated here that this voids the warranty....
Make your choices.
Mike

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike Brown said:
It may void the warranty, but I run a Z150FRSL with no troubles as do two other people I know. In fact, one of them put a triple clamp on the sucker for downhilling at Windrock, Tenn., which is pretty close to some of the stuff in BC. My bike was borrowed by a visiting friend who won Expert DH Nationals at Mt. Snow but wanted a trail bike (he rides the giant DH Turner) for the weekend. He frickin' loved it and rode it hard...
But it has been stated here that this voids the warranty....
Make your choices.
Mike
well the most I'd want is 150mm, which I was thinking maybe the travis, but i think i'll keep it as is for this season and maybe change something over the rainy winter months.
I should have it tomorrow night, i nthe box, but once built which should take about 20 min at most, then I'll post pics of her... i'm very stoked to get this bike now... i know I've made the right decision, because trail riding with a freedire/dh bike just doesn't work.

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
912 Posts
Great choice, I've been thinking in a Nixon intrinsic, 145mm, for my 04. Pls post pics, maybe, of the building process as well. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts