Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got some 2008 rockshox totem IS forks (the coil ones with the single low speed compression knob) and might have a problem. I'm getting a clunk when I compress the fork, and then let it back up again (like when you go to start a manual), but its not a topout clunk, cause the clunk happens mid stoke, as soon as the fork starts to extend from its compressed position. It only happens when I run more than 4 clicks of LSC too. My LBS said that it might be the valve for the LSC opening and closing, but it shouldn't clunk - should it??

This is after a service too, so I've got all the right oil levels and weights (137ml of 5wt in the damper). The motion control damper hasn't leaked into the lower leg either (a few other people have had these problems), and all the adjusment work perfectly (rebound and LSC).

Anyone have a similar problem?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I had a roommate with a similar problem on a shock and he ignored it and kept on riding. It turns out that something was loose and the piston came right out one day (I was inspecting it so he didn't wreck). I would suggest you open it up and make sure everything is as it is supposed to be or if you don't feel confident with it yourself you might want to take it to a shop. If something comes undone while you are riding chances are you will do damage to it and end up paying a lot to either fix it or replace it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything looks fine.

Thanks for your reply, i have already taken apart the whole fork and checked to see if there is anything wrong, but it all seems fine, no wear or play in bushings ect.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have a Lyrik coil and sometimes hear the same noise. It could be the coil hitting the inside of the tube. Any chance can you hear it on only the left side? Rock Shox does make a heat shrink isolator kit that wraps around the coil for that problem. RS# 11.4309.336.000

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely coming from the left side.

It's definitely coming from the riders right side. To check it wasn't coming from the coil, I took the spring out, compressed the forks, then put my foot on the arch and pulled up quickly to extend the fork, and it still makes the same sound. I am pretty sure that it is related to the LSC, because if i use less than 4 clicks of it, the clunking vanishes....

Can anyone confirm the damper oil levels for a 2008 Rockshox Totem IS Coil?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts