Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the new 888VF2 arrived along with my new tread. I've got a Nevegal 2.7 up front, and a Nev 2.5 in the back. Switched out the grips to some lockizzle's and put the new fork on. I gave it a fresh oil change, sportin' the belray 10 weight, and the final weight of the bike is 49.2 lbs... :eek: It's a good thing we shuttle and ride lifts, because she's a fatty fo sho. I have to get some new der. cable as I snapped mine, and I have to get some spacers for my brake mount(that's what the deal is in the picture), but I'm stoked for Saturday.

However, I do have to say I'm a bit dissappointed with the VF2 version. The compression works great, but the rebound is just about non-existant. It does change it from a full on pogo rebound, but it's no rc2x that's for sure. I was thinking that it might be similar to my old Super T with the rebound,(as the compression is burly and just fine) but I was mistaken. Anyhow, folks, some of you were right, the RC2X vs VF2 is like comparing stock nissan frontier suspension to my fabtech aftermarket kit on my chevy...it's night and day. I think for those who've never really used bighit forks before, the fork would be fine, but I can tell just by riding it around in my driveway that it's going to have to get the internals upgraded before I head down to Snowshoe, which fawking sucks. I'm sure it's going to be fine for this weekend, but I'm already regretting my 66rc2x swap out...


So those of you who are about to say "I told you man", well....you were right:skep:

Oh well, The bike is sick, and I'm stoked. I just have to get the fork up to par.

Ride on,
Josh :cool:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Reamer said:
You're starting to creep me out with your "I CAN'T WAIT'S" :eek:ut: What can't you wait about? I must of missed a post you did or something...:confused:
good point ... kinda creepy :eek:

As for your 888VF2 , try swapping the oil in the rebound side to a 10wt or even 15wt
this will make a big differnce , also remember to check the oil height , damping on zokes is totally dependant on the perfect oil height if you want that fork to feel 100% rock star !

I suggest getting Torco or Golden Spectro oil ... Bel Ray isnt bad either .
Stay far away from anything that isnt full synthetic and anti foaming .
 

·
rollin
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
Evil4bc said:
As for your 888VF2.....
i dunno, something doesn't sound right. all marzocchi's that i've ever seen had a huge range in damping adjustment. you should be able to make the damping rediculously slow or rediculously fast. if you can't get it to slow down, you probably have air in the chamber, or there's too much thread lock on the damping adjustment and it's preventing you from turning the dial more (happened to me on my roco). but, you should be able to tune that thing to your liking. i have the 04 888rc, which should be the same, and i have no issues at all.

btw, that bike looks sick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evil4bc said:
good point ... kinda creepy :eek:

As for your 888VF2 , try swapping the oil in the rebound side to a 10wt or even 15wt
this will make a big differnce , also remember to check the oil height , damping on zokes is totally dependant on the perfect oil height if you want that fork to feel 100% rock star !

I suggest getting Torco or Golden Spectro oil ... Bel Ray isnt bad either .
Stay far away from anything that isnt full synthetic and anti foaming .
Yeah I've got belray 10 weight in both stanchions. I dissassembled the top caps, took the springs out and cycled the fork. What was weird was, there's no rod's that come up to the top of the fork like on all the other zokes I've opened up. It was just the top caps, that extended down about 3 inches, a 2 inch spacer or so, and then the springs???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sriracha said:
i dunno, something doesn't sound right. all marzocchi's that i've ever seen had a huge range in damping adjustment. you should be able to make the damping rediculously slow or rediculously fast. if you can't get it to slow down, you probably have air in the chamber, or there's too much thread lock on the damping adjustment and it's preventing you from turning the dial more (happened to me on my roco). but, you should be able to tune that thing to your liking. i have the 04 888rc, which should be the same, and i have no issues at all.
when all else fails, call marzocchi and speak to ronnie in tech.

btw, that bike looks sick.
Yeah I know what you mean. The adjustment caps at the bottom(rebound and compression) spin very freely, almost too freely. They don't click like all the other zokes I've owned which I found weird. If I back out the rebound all the way the thing pops up super hard, so I know that works, but I can't get to that super slow rebound speed that you'd normally expect from a zoke... I'm stoked non the less, but if I could only get the rebound to work better...maybe your right though, maybe there's air in the chamber from cycling the oil out for the oil change. Maybe it will settle in after some stompage. I'l see how it feels saturday...
 

·
rollin
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
Reamer said:
...maybe your right though, maybe there's air in the chamber from cycling the oil out for the oil change. Maybe it will settle in after some stompage....
try turning the bike upside down and let the air rise out of the damping cartridge. or try to bottom the fork out and see if that pushes the air out. with the first generation of the ECC travel control, if you rebuilt the fork, air would get in that cartridge and it wouldn't work. when i cycle the dampers, i always compress them, and then pull on it so it sucks oil back up into it, before assembly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Reamer said:
Yeah I've got belray 10 weight in both stanchions. I dissassembled the top caps, took the springs out and cycled the fork. What was weird was, there's no rod's that come up to the top of the fork like on all the other zokes I've opened up. It was just the top caps, that extended down about 3 inches, a 2 inch spacer or so, and then the springs???
The rods in the SSVF system extend down ... IE: the reason the ajusters are at the bottom .

As for the ajuster spining freely with no clicks ... this is normal for this version fork , but the harsh pop up sounds like it's oil height is too low .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Evil4bc said:
The rods in the SSVF system extend down ... IE: the reason the ajusters are at the bottom .

As for the ajuster spining freely with no clicks ... this is normal for this version fork , but the harsh pop up sounds like it's oil height is too low .

After that is it's still topping out really bad I might suggest adding the longer negitive spring from Zoke , never tried this in a longer travel fork ... but this is what I would try if it was mine . ok hope this helps
Do explain more, I'm intrigued.

The strong rebound is when I back off the rebound adjuster to no rebound assist. I cycled the fork as mentioned above, and refilled it to recommended height of 225cc's, give or take a lil as my extractor tube is fairly long. The oil should be right there at reccomended height. After all, I measured the oil volume that it came with and it was about 170cc's per leg, looked to be 5 weight...10 weight now. I was familiar with the Super T's and shiver assembly dissassembly but the 888's are a different ball game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Man my faith is a heavy pig too i don't want to weigh it like u did because im scared of how much weight i've been pushing around because i weigh like 130 lbs so 50 is 15 lbs off half my weight.:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Reamer said:
Do explain more, I'm intrigued.

The strong rebound is when I back off the rebound adjuster to no rebound assist. I cycled the fork as mentioned above, and refilled it to recommended height of 225cc's, give or take a lil as my extractor tube is fairly long. The oil should be right there at reccomended height. After all, I measured the oil volume that it came with and it was about 170cc's per leg, looked to be 5 weight...10 weight now. I was familiar with the Super T's and shiver assembly dissassembly but the 888's are a different ball game.
225cc sounds about right , so how slow is the fork with the rebound turned all the way up?

My 66vf ( same damping only shorter ) with 15wt in the rebound side creeps up at full rebound .

I have also noticed that these forks perform better with the compression ajuster set in the middle .

No after you have cycled the fork so there is no air in the rebound side after you have changed the oil , you should be able to feel the amount of rebound damping without closeing the topcap or putting the springs in , just cycle the fork with the cartrige dial open all the way then after you have gotten all the air bubbles out start to increse the damping with the dial on the bottom about 3/4 of a turn at a time ... cycling the fork after each ajustment . This should give you an idea if there is any air stuck in the cartrige or if your getting any cavitiation in your damping rods stroke . You should by thge end be able to get your fork to basically creep up . Good luck !

EDIT: No longer negitive spring is availible for the 888 or the 66 .. forgot about the differnce in DIA. of the damping cartriges .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NorcoRider said:
Man my faith is a heavy pig too i don't want to weigh it like u did because im scared of how much weight i've been pushing around because i weigh like 130 lbs so 50 is 15 lbs off half my weight.:eek:
Yeah I don't really care about weight. The bike is solid, and I have it setup the way I want it. It has a footprint to impress bigfoot, the suspension is 8 inches of stomping power, and the rest of the bike is solid. I'm not a racer, and I don't use it to pedal up forever as we shuttle around here now and I'm hoping to get in some ski resort riding this summer as I"ve found 3 places under 5 hours now. Next is my AM/trail short travel bike build, those specialized enduro trail's are looking might fine :thumbsup: , this is where I'll worry about weight. :thumbsup: I"m so stoked, just gotta get the front dizznialed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tip bro, I'll try that out tomorrow :thumbsup:

Evil4bc said:
225cc sounds about right , so how slow is the fork with the rebound turned all the way up?

My 66vf ( same damping only shorter ) with 15wt in the rebound side creeps up at full rebound .

I have also noticed that these forks perform better with the compression ajuster set in the middle .

No after you have cycled the fork so there is no air in the rebound side after you have changed the oil , you should be able to feel the amount of rebound damping without closeing the topcap or putting the springs in , just cycle the fork with the cartrige dial open all the way then after you have gotten all the air bubbles out start to increse the damping with the dial on the bottom about 3/4 of a turn at a time ... cycling the fork after each ajustment . This should give you an idea if there is any air stuck in the cartrige or if your getting any cavitiation in your damping rods stroke . You should by thge end be able to get your fork to basically creep up . Good luck !

EDIT: No longer negitive spring is availible for the 888 or the 66 .. forgot about the differnce in DIA. of the damping cartriges .
 

·
Xtremely Moderate
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
Two of me brothas in the HL crew pedal up Galby, Fromme, & Cypress on identically decked out Faiths. There are no hills in the OH that you can't pedal that rig up. :skep:

Hmmm. Me thinks I smell "fork discontent" again. I still think you should've kept the 66.
I predict a Fox 40 purchase next.................:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
e[I said:
o]Two of me brothas in the HL crew pedal up Galby, Fromme, & Cypress on identically decked out Faiths. There are no hills in the OH that you can't pedal that rig up. :skep:

Hmmm. Me thinks I smell "fork discontent" again. I still think you should've kept the 66.
I predict a Fox 40 purchase next.................:D
TYrust me there really are hills you couldn't even pedal an XC bike up. Not saying we have mountains or anything but there are a couple that the terrain is really wild.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Axis said:
TYrust me there really are hills you couldn't even pedal an XC bike up. Not saying we have mountains or anything but there are a couple that the terrain is really wild.
Oh yeah Josh faster rebound on a fork is nothing to worry about... the rear shock sure but the front... faster is better IMHO.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top