Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend just got a new juliana, she is impresed with the nevegals performance in all conditions here (hardpack, mud, gravel, rocks, everything!), but she really feels the very slow rolling resistance (tread or weight?).
Probably Im excited because I want her to enjoy even more her new SC bike.
Have you guys tried any other 2.1 or 1.9 xc tire with the similar versalitity as the nevegals without the high rolling resistance or weight penalty?
She is a xc enthusiastic.

thanks!!!!!!

· Registered
20 Posts
A recent trend (ok, only 3 people I've met out on the trail) has been to use the Kenda Small Block 8. They are super small little Nevegal treads all over instead of the big Nevegal treads. Those couple people have said that it's the fastest rolling tire they've used...hardpack conditions. I'm going to try it too, but haven't done so yet. Don't know about any other conditions besides hardpack.

· Registered
265 Posts
Does her Juliana have the wire-bead Nevegals that come with the 'D XC' or 'R XC' complete packages? If so, you could probably save a bunch of weight just switching out to the kevlar bead version. (The ones that come stock are some funky OE version with a wire bead). A kevlar bead 2.1 Nevegal weighs about 610 g. They are not heavy tires.

Rolling resistance? Well, I guess I'll have to give you that one :)

· it's the ride....
519 Posts
Try Schwalbe Nobby Nic, WTB Mutano or Moto Raptor, Maxxis CrossMark (for smoother track though). 3 that I can think of with lesss rolling resistance as compared to Nev. The kevlar bed should help also on reducing weighty feel.
Just my 2 cents..

· Registered
23,945 Posts
Can't get away from that heavy bogged down RR feeling with the Nev's on the road, but once on the trail I don't find I notice it. If you're gona get her the lighter and better Kevlar bead, get the DTC 1.95 version - DTC definitely helps. Can't beat the Nev's for grip on those surfaces.

· Got A Lust for Life...
2,955 Posts
In conditions other than hardpack...

RickL262 said:
A recent trend (ok, only 3 people I've met out on the trail) has been to use the Kenda Small Block 8. They are super small little Nevegal treads all over instead of the big Nevegal treads. Those couple people have said that it's the fastest rolling tire they've used...hardpack conditions. I'm going to try it too, but haven't done so yet. Don't know about any other conditions besides hardpack.
The tire doesn't really to a great job of keeping traction in anything other than hardpack. The knobs are simply too small to bit into anything loose. I ride in wet conditions most of the time now. I figured I would pick these up for the dry months out of the year. Well...we really didn't experience that this year. I gave them a go anyway and I took them off when I realized they didn't work for anything but hardpack. The Racing Ralphs are a much better faster rolling tire in a wide variety of conditions. They last awhile as well. I think the 2.25 comes in snakeskin now. I had a 2.4 on the rear of my SS and Heckler and was surprised at this versatility.

· Registered
422 Posts
My fast rolling tire combination consists of a Specialized Roll-X Pro up front and a Kenda Karma out back. Both are very large volume 2.0s, are relatively light, and fast rolling. But they don't work well in muddy conditions.

I also have the WTB Weirwolf 2.55LT which is a rather light (especially for the size) and huge volume tire. The small block pattern makes it a very fast rolling tire. It works well in snow...I haven't used it in the mud but I would bet it doesn't work very well.

Basically it's hard to get all-round versatility and low rolling resistance because the low rolling resistance requires the tread design to sacrifice performance in other areas. I have separate sets of wheels and tires for muddy conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.