Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over in the Ells forum:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=5087657&postcount=25
I mentioned earlier in the thread that IBIS charged my friend $250 to replace his broken rear triangle on his carbon Mojo. IBIS said it was misused basically and did not warranty his frame. Truth be told, he was riding some free riding type jumps (which he did not tell IBIS) and they stated they were not going to warranty his frame and charged him $250. I think they should have warranted the frame, but he was doing some 3 to 4 ft jumps. Personally I think a 5.5" travel bike should be able to do this, especially with a rider weight of 160 LBs (and 43 years old) but who knows.
Doesn't sound right to me.
Anyway, I would take a Moj off a jump (with a Lopes Link) quicker than I would the alum beer can thin Epi....even with an alum rocker.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm pretty sure that this is the same one that I've commented on before. If so then I beleive that he had probably smacked his chain stay on a rock somewhere along the way and weakened it without him realizing it. But its hard to say exactly wahat happened. Ibis did charge him for the swingarm after they examined it and I believe they said that since it didn't delaminate from the inside that it wasn't a manufacture's defect.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
I think it sounds legit because how would he get the idea to FR the Mojo if he never visited this forum? It's recommended for FR by Derby and others overtalking the Mojo's already good performance.
Non sequitur. Look it up.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
I think it sounds legit because how would he get the idea to FR the Mojo if he never visited this forum? It's recommended for FR by Derby and others overtalking the Mojo's already good performance.
How else? Puuuhlease. How about by himself. People can come up with ideas on their own. Quit trying to stir $hit up....again. :rolleyes:

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
Free Riding first, is a term that is open for much interpretation.
Most us us in this forum probably have a slightly different definition from someone like, say... Matt Hunter or Brian Lopes.
Can the Mojo be used in a freeride application? Absolutely, with due regard and skill. Does the Mojo make the rider an instant FR huckster? No. So a small drop to flat in certain circumstances can stress a frame more than a major huck to a well placed landing on a good transiton.
And anyway... the OP's original statement was one of incredulity with Ibis's reaction to the damage, not to the damage itself as Jerk Chicken seemed to illustrate.
Furthermore.... Though Ibis does have remarkable customer service I don't think they should be responsible for all damage to frames. Just because they have warrantied broken subframes in the past doesn't transfer a broken subframe get-out-of-jail-free card to ALL busted frames, nor does failure to do so constitute a lack of faith in their product.

·
flow where ever you go
1,526 Posts
One person paying 250 for a swingarm does not equal bad CS. Extraordinary Ibis CS has been the norm on the boards and in my personal experience. Ibis often doles out free replacement parts, but when there is no sign of manufacturer defect Ibis should charge minimal replacement value under the "no fault replacement" part of the warranty. In that case, 250 for a swingarm sounds about right.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
In fact I have never recommended, nor will I recommend Freeriding the Mojo.

It is remarkable that riders do huge Freeride jumps on the Mojo! If I was 20 to 40 years younger I'd be jumping larger than the 4 foot drops I do with my Mojo, and I am tempted! I know the bike could do it.

I wouldn't call 4 foot jumps freeriding, it's just fun trail riding, but to a beginner/intermediate rider maybe it is.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Here's the thread that was a result of all of derby's postings on how to build the Mojo for FR and DH and how it's never broken and other stuff. It forced Hans to make a disclaimer:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=361007&highlight=derby+mojo+freeride

There are some quotes and references from Derby's words that forced Hans to make a statement. There are quite a few more out there in the search.

·
Turn off the TV
239 Posts
I had to replace my rear triangle for $250 also, thought I got a good deal considering I sliped off a ledge and I broke it, actually poked a hole in it. I also just recieved a new front triangle because of an issue and it was covered. Each time the CS was great and I was fine with the results. Some people always want something for nothing and others refuse to believe anything is their fault. They will at some point in their life realise thier faults. Then there is Jerk Chicken, [email protected]#$ stirer (sp) extraodinaire, you go boy.

·
Unpredictable
2,213 Posts
JC (as you probably prefer to be known) - you are the reason Hans posted his clarification dickwad. You call it a disclaimer because you only believe you are right. If you spent less time posting here, you would have more time to view the sunshine coming out of your own date while you suck your fat hairy balls................ What an asswipe. Hope you get alum splinters in your nether regions for Christmas.

Oh - am I allowed to swear here - will I get banned or maybe sued? Sorry to (most of) those I have offended.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
This is about as rediculous as the kid hucking his carbon Scalpel and getting all pissy that the upper shock mount sheared off.

As much as I love my Mojo, it's not a freeride bike as much as the photos of Brian Lopes ripping DH runs and videos of him and Cedric tearing up A-Line would have you believe. It's a carbon 5.5in travel trail bike. No way would I ever consider this a jump/freeride bike, even with my set up.

Sorry, but the Lopes Link doesn't change any of this. It stiffens the rear up and eliminates some side to side flex, but that doesn't translate into hucking invinceability.

The idea that someone like Brian Lopes would invest in a company like this speaks volumes about the bike. Having said that, I think it puts Ibis in a bit of a conundrum with it's customers who want to ride the bike like he does. Unfortunately for them, they don't have a garage full of Mojo frames laying in wait, like Lopes does, when something goes wrong.

If you're hucking most of the 5in travel bikes on the market, you're going to run into problems with breakage so just deal with it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
slcrockymountainrider said:
This is about as rediculous as the kid hucking his carbon Scalpel and getting all pissy that the upper shock mount sheared off.

As much as I love my Mojo, it's not a freeride bike as much as the photos of Brian Lopes ripping DH runs and videos of him and Cedric tearing up A-Line would have you believe. It's a carbon 5.5in travel trail bike. No way would I ever consider this a jump/freeride bike, even with my set up.

Sorry, but the Lopes Link doesn't change any of this. It stiffens the rear up and eliminates some side to side flex, but that doesn't translate into hucking invinceability.

The idea that someone like Brian Lopes would invest in a company like this speaks volumes about the bike. Having said that, I think it puts Ibis in a bit of a conundrum with it's customers who want to ride the bike like he does. Unfortunately for them, they don't have a garage full of Mojo frames laying in wait, like Lopes does, when something goes wrong.

If you're hucking most of the 5in travel bikes on the market, you're going to run into problems with breakage so just deal with it.
Hooray for common sense! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is good sense.
Anyway, I would take a Moj off a jump (with a Lopes Link)
hmmmm
Oops I guess I should have said joking or something, I thought it was a given.
But I wanna ! Sure as he...ll wish I had not started this thread.
Anyway, How bout hucking a Epi with the new alum link not the mag.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
ghawk,

Sorry if I didn't see the humor in your post. I was going off on the quote you posted at the beginning of this thread from the EW forum, not what you wrote.
There's a lot of this going on in every manufacturer's forum. Some of the complaints justified, most rediculous. I recalled some thread either on this site or Ridemonkey quite a while back where some kid was ripping on Cannondale when his carbon Scalpel broke after jumping it way beyond it's limit.
I think one of the world's worst jobs would be the person responsible for handling mountain bike warranties. We're the most bit**y, whiney, people out there who think that just because it's called a mountain bike, the thing's indestructable.

I still stick behind my argument that the Lopes Link doesn't transform the Mojo into a hucking a machine. I think it could easily handle some jumping, like any high end mountain bike. But I wouldn't run out and get all Josh Bender on it just because I bolted one of those things on it.

I wouldn't be sorry you started this thread. It's good dialogue.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Against my better judgement I'm going to chime in. Ironically enough I was out for a pretty tame ride with my 3 sons who are home for Christmas today. My middle son is somewhat of a renegade, he of course was riding my Mojo! I was on my Trek, My Mojo is equipped with a Fox Talas 36R, Mavic CrossMax SL, 2.30 beefy tires, my point is, it's a pretty beefy build. Anyway a mile or so into the trail we are on a bridge crossing, I was waiting topside in order to ensure my non-riding sons were able to pick their way down the hill before the bridge. So my son on the Mojo begins to entertain himself by hucking off of this bridge, probably 4', no speed, wheelie to flat.
Later on so as not to ruin the day I was schooling him on why that was not cool.
So anyway my son says to me, something to the effect of this. So Dad, are you telling me you paid 5K for a bike that won't take a baby huck like that, look at what you have been giving you old trek Liquid for the past 5 years. He went on to say if I paid that much for a bike that was that fragile, I'd think I got "F'ed in the A".
So I tried to combat that but you know what I couldn't, I mean seriously he is right.
On the flip side I wouldn't let the fact that the Mojo is not a DH, or FR bike go unmentioned, it is a more than capable AM/XC play bike that I have pretty big exspectations of. If itr can't meet them it is as simple as this, I bought the wrong bike. Fix it (and no 250.00 to replace a broken rear triangle is not extreme), and sell it and get a bike that withstands the type of abuse (if thats what it is) you subject it to.
I have to state that I have taken my Mojo out only 4 times, each time it has been ridden pretty hard, it has been subjected to some extreme riding (as determined by me) some pretty big hucks, 15 - 20 MPH forward speed 10' to 20' gaps mostly pretty kind to the bike though, I mean I'm not trying to destroy it or anything. Never more than 5' to 7' of height.
Anyway........I absolutely can not keep the smile off of my face when I ride my Mojo, it is awesome, and it is .....so far exactly what I thought/hoped it would be. Or to quote my son, "no worries dad, this is a sic sic bike". Ride it as hard as you want, if it won't take it sell it, get another bike.
Hard to argue with that simplicity.......isn't it!

YZF571

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.