Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just started urban riding, and coming from a bmx background i don't really know too much about deraillers and things of this nature. every time i do a 180 or a 270 on my khs dj100, the chain pops off. i have to assume that it is because the derailler is cheap.but i was wondering if it would be better for me to go to a singlespeed and use a chain tensioner, cause i am getting tired of my chain popping off.also what is decent street tire? i was looking at maxxis hookworms...

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
yeah, for street abuse, going singlespeed will help a LOT! so much simpler. But be careful which tensioner you get if you decide to go that route. Don't get a spring loaded one, or the same thing might happen as your cheap derailleur. if you have some questions about converting to singlespeed, you can search the forum since there is much info to be found here about that subject.
The Hookworms are waay overkill and too heavy. If you want a dedicated street/urban tire, look at the Tioga FS100, or for a little less money, the Kenda Kiniptions - I have one in the rear and love it, as well as a DMR Moto RT in the front.
also take a look at the Halo Twin Rail, or the Schwalbe Tabletop.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm gonna have to go ahead and reccomend Maxxis Holyrollers, I got a set on my bike, I liek them a lot, good grip and all of that. And I feel you on cheap 'railers, I got one on my biek and am just waiting to go ahead and get good tensioner, can someone out there reccomend any? I was looking at the DMR sts...thoughts would be good!

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
The dmr sts is a good tensionner that works like a rennen, but for less money. I'd also like to say that a hookworm is an extremely heavy tire(3lbs) and that you can get just as much grip with a less expensive, less heavy tire. Holy Rollers are pretty good, Kenda Kiniptions are good if you do tarmac and concrete only(mine don't hook up too well as soon as there is any kind of loose soil). Dmr's line of tires is pretty good too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah

i don't really care too much about weight, but i will look into the kenda's. i am going to look into doing a single speed without the tensioner, a guy i work with has his p3 set up without the tensioner,and it works fine.

one more question, is a manitou splice a decent fork? i don't put alot of stress on my forks,i am a pretty smooth rider,i know its not really a urban/freeride fork, but would it work?i might get a pair of marzocchi drop offs though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i have the splice comps, which are the way to go, dont bother with the regular ones, but i like mine they are nice but not quite broken in yet...

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
no the splice is a weak fork, get something like a stance static or drop off comp. your chain isnt popping off because you have a cheap RD, its because you have gears...period. I run a chainguide on my bike and still abubicas, 180's and even on some 360's the chain pops off, go SS this will fix your problem.

·
tuck-n-roll master
636 Posts
joshfromkent said:
what if i take a few links out of my chain,would that fix the problem?
You might have better luck running a chainguide setup, but those are way overpriced. Converting to singlespeed is a lot cheaper, and a lot more efficient. A chainguide setup usually runs around a hundred bucks, while a singlespeed kit will run from around 25-35.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
The P. 3 can run SS because you can adjust the rear wheel's position in the dropouts to adjust the chain tension.

Your bike (I think) has vertical dropouts, so your wheel is stationary. You should get a DMR tensioner with a SS kit of some sort.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.