Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the bikeshop to get my new rear rim the Bontrager Mustang elite tlr 27.5 x ? They didn't tell me what it was so I assumed that it would fit on my plus tires turns out they are normal size rims. Can I run plus tires on normal size rims safely?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went to the bikeshop to get my new rear rim the Bontrager Mustang elite tlr 27.5 x ? They didn't tell me what it was so I assumed that it would fit on my plus tires turns out they are normal size rims. Can I run plus tires on normal size rims safely?
It depends on the tire manufacturers recommendation as well as the internal rim width. 30mm seems to be the norm for rims these days and while I have seen 2.8's on them... I'd personally suggest having an internal rim width of 35mm - 38mm.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I had a Stumpy 6Fattie in 2016-2018 it came spec'd with i30 rims and 3.0 tires. I never had a problem, I would think most 2.8's will be fine on i30 rims, any less than that could be an issue like stated above...either side wall squirm or high pressure for support.

·
Registered
958 Posts
i25 and 2.8 is going to require stupid high pressure tho'.
Depends. I'm running 27.5x3.8 on i40 rims. Hodags w/out inserts. And I'm about 9psi front and 10 rear. It's awesome. I like the more rounded profile and support is fine.

If I understood math correctly could calculate the ratios and compare my setup to the OP's ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rippin da fAt
11,887 Posts
Depends. I'm running 27.5x3.8 on i40 rims. Hodags w/out inserts. And I'm about 9psi front and 10 rear. It's awesome. I like the more rounded profile and support is fine.

If I understood math correctly could calculate the ratios and compare my setup to the OP's ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prolly very similar in that regard. I just have a preference for less lightbulb shaped tires.
I really hated the 90's with road width rims being the "norm".

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had some plus wheels built up by Wayne at speedgear bike shop. I told him I planned to run 27.5x2.8 tires, and initially I wanted 35mm rims. He said they would work, but he also said he would feel better building with 40mm rims for a little better support. He's the wheel builder, so I conceded...figured he probably knew better than me. Anyway, I am really happy with the wheels. Glad I listened to him. FWIW, I'm a bigger guy (225 lbs). That may have factored into his recommendation for a wider rim.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
i45 to i50 for 3.0"

i35 to i40 for 2.8"

i have experience with the i45 x 3.0 , i38 x 3.0 and i40 x 2.8

i38 x 3.0". doesnt work imo.

ran i40 x 2.8" w rekon tires and it was awesome.

but if you run i35 you can run 2.6".

i30 x 2.8". no way. not going to work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.