Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

HavasuPai Falls

8K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Bikingdaily 
#1 ·
You think that the natives will let you bike down HavasuPai Falls? Me and my friends hiked it this summer and were wondering about it. Has anyone ever done it or ever tried?

#2 ·
I think I have seen bikes down there, but that was a few years ago. It could have just been a local kid though, Im not too sure, as it was a ways away. I have always wanted and wished for my bike on that hike too. That would be pretty fun! I would probably pay the 75 bucks to have all my crap flown in though.

#6 ·
last time I checked any sort of mechanized travel, bikes included, are forbidden in the Grand Canyon proper. There have been many blogs of travels thru the Canyon via the AZ Trail but you must disassemble your bike and carry it. No wheels are allowed to touch the ground.

I'd call the Forest Service and check, but I'm pretty darn sure they will confirm what I am saying. A year or two ago a few guys made a trip thru the Canyon on bikes and blogged all about it. They were arrested, or at least fined when they were caught up to at a mtb race in Tucson. Their public blog was there downfall and the Rangers made an example of them.

Don't do it without the proper OK.

#10 ·
tmarkos said:
I do remember that story, if it's the same one I believe their bikes were confiscated, but they were riding in the National Park. Havasupai is not part of the National Park. It's Tribal land, you would need to call the BIA.
Ahh... but isn't Havasupai at the bottom of the Canyon? Or am I thinking of another place I hiked to long ago? I thought it was Havasupai Falls. In any event if it is at the bottom of the Canyon you must carry your bike to get there, no?

#12 ·
eatdrinkride said:
Ahh... but isn't Havasupai at the bottom of the Canyon? Or am I thinking of another place I hiked to long ago? I thought it was Havasupai Falls. In any event if it is at the bottom of the Canyon you must carry your bike to get there, no?
I've never been--although I'm going in Sept--but from what I understand, it's on Native American land, so they don't follow the same rules and regulations. I could be wrong about that, but the stories I've heard about trash and alcohol make it sound like they don't follow the National Park regulations.

#13 ·
skinny-tire said:
I've never been--although I'm going in Sept--but from what I understand, it's on Native American land, so they don't follow the same rules and regulations. I could be wrong about that, but the stories I've heard about trash and alcohol make it sound like they don't follow the National Park regulations.
Yes, tribal land is sovereign with seperate courts and laws, but my point is that you must cross National Park land to get there, and out of there. I could be wrong, that's what I'm trying to find out.

#14 ·
Bikingdaily said:
You think that the natives will let you bike down HavasuPai Falls? Me and my friends hiked it this summer and were wondering about it. Has anyone ever done it or ever tried?
Making those steep switchbacks to the bottom would be hard. We used to have family reunions every every other Labor Day weekend there. Last time I went, I ran it with a small pack since we stayed at the lodge.

#15 ·
The village, falls, and campground are all outside of the National park and also outside of the Grand Canyon. It's another 8 miles down to the Colorado River from the campground. Paste these coordinates into Google maps for an idea.

N36 15.421 W112 42.218

I would say there's less than no chance they'd let you ride a bike down there.

#17 ·
story from the past

It's legal, I believe, but a bad idea. Was there over 30 years ago, amazingly beautiful place, nicest in Arizona.
Two young guys tried it about 8 years ago. It's mostly sand. For miles, sand.
When you get to Mooney Falls it's a 200' drop down a tunnel on a chain ladder. Spectacular below Mooney, didn't get to Beaver. Bike won't fit. Bring a long rope if going to Beaver Falls.
This is a hike not a bike ride. Expect to hear a lot of laughs at you. Best time to go is April but think you need reservations.

#18 ·
abegold is right, it would be miles and miles of sand and hike a bike. Even if the tribe allowed it, I don't think that it would be a good idea. Spectacular hiking place, great in any summer month less the monsoon season :eek: It is a place that everyone should experience at least once. Navajo Falls is my favorite and much less popular.

Have fun, skinny-tire!

#19 ·
Could be fun

I"ve camped there numerous times. My group would always find the full moon in June and hike in during the middle of the night so it was cooler. Looking back I've often wondered how that 8 miles would have been different on a mountain bike. As said, the ONLY drawback would be the sand. There's quite a bit - those of you that have ridden San-Tan know the feeling. But then, if you're on a fat tire or 29er it may not be that bad. The switchbacks are going to suck whether you're on foot or on a bike so why not be on a bike? I just assume be pushing a bike.

I say, if you get a green light from the tribe - DO IT and let us all know how it went!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.