Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I inspected one of those Wal Mart 32-inchers and you know what? For 200 bucks they are pretty nice bikes. Some observations:

Weight: I estimate about 28-30 pounds. Definitely lighter than my Hammerschmidt/Specialized Enduro.

Frame: Aluminum. Welds are big but do not appear sloppy and the frame feels very light and solid. I've seen similar welds on bikes ten times as much. Makes me wonder what we're paying for on an eight-hundred-dollar frame. Good standover clearance.

Stem: Looks like a quill-type. Nothing inherently wrong with that but old-school.

Handlebars: Beach cruiser-type. Don't know the clamp size but has to be the smaller size.

Seat: Adjustable seat tube with a quick release. Saddle is comfy. Sprung. Lazy-boy type.

Wheels: Good Lord. 32 inches of madness. About a hundred spokes per wheel. Wheel was true, felt very solid, and all the spokes felt equally tensioned. Only rode in the store but they feel like they want to roll once you get 'em going.

Chain: Shimano type roller chain. Looks good, maybe not the best chain in the world but does not look cheap.

Brakes: Coaster-type..pity

All-in-all not bad. If I was an out-of-shape couch potato and wanted to get on a bike to ride local paved trails and gravel this would be an ideal starter bike. It is very comfortable. the saddle is like a sofa and the handlebars put you in a comfortable upright position.

Would also do good service as a errand runner or cruiser which I think is the whole point.

I'd replace the handlebars to get a little more of an aggressive posture (not too much) and the pedals for some nice flats. Too bad it doesn't have a free-hub. Don't care for the coaster brakes but again, if you're just tooling along on a flat paved trail...

Anything other than that? It feels very solid. I'd probably take it out very gingerly on flowing, smooth singletrack but our typical rootapalooza trails here would probably eat it's lunch.

Attachments

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,719 Posts
Secure your seatbelts boy's and girls because here we go again.
O.P. You do know there was a 672 page thread on this a week or two ago right.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Hutch3637

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Secure your seatbelts boy's and girls because here we go again.
O.P. You do know there was a 672 page thread on this a week or two ago right.:rolleyes:

Yes...somebody wanted a review. I'm seeing if I have handlebars and pedals and I'll probably buy one tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Such an ugly bike though. Even if it was a top brand selling for $1000 at my LBS, it's still an ugly bike. I'd be interested in a ride report though, on the trails, just out of curiosity. I'm not anti-Walmart bike, I wouldn't own one, but to each their own. I guess it's better to see someone on any bike than that person sitting on their arse at home.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Such an ugly bike though. Even if it was a top brand selling for $1000 at my LBS, it's still an ugly bike. I'd be interested in a ride report though, on the trails, just out of curiosity. I'm not anti-Walmart bike, I wouldn't own one, but to each their own. I guess it's better to see someone on any bike than that person sitting on their arse at home.
Its not a mountain bike, its a cruiser.

·
74 & 29 pilot
2,271 Posts
I inspected one of those Wal Mart 32-inchers and you know what? For 200 bucks they are pretty nice bikes. Some observations:

Weight: I estimate about 28-30 pounds. Definitely lighter than my Hammerschmidt/Specialized Enduro.

Frame: Aluminum. Welds are big but do not appear sloppy and the frame feels very light and solid. I've seen similar welds on bikes ten times as much. Makes me wonder what we're paying for on an eight-hundred-dollar frame. Good standover clearance.

Stem: Looks like a quill-type. Nothing inherently wrong with that but old-school.

Handlebars: Beach cruiser-type. Don't know the clamp size but has to be the smaller size.

Seat: Adjustable seat tube with a quick release. Saddle is comfy. Sprung. Lazy-boy type.

Wheels: Good Lord. 32 inches of madness. About a hundred spokes per wheel. Wheel was true, felt very solid, and all the spokes felt equally tensioned. Only rode in the store but they feel like they want to roll once you get 'em going.

Chain: Shimano type roller chain. Looks good, maybe not the best chain in the world but does not look cheap.

All-in-all not bad. If I was an out-of-shape couch potato and wanted to get on a bike to ride local paved trails and gravel this would be an ideal starter bike. It is very comfortable. the saddle is like a sofa and the handlebars put you in a comfortable upright position.

Would also do good service as a errand runner or cruiser which I think is the whole point.

I'd replace the handlebars to get a little more of an aggressive posture (not too much) and the pedals for some nice flats. Too bad it doesn't have a free-hub. Don't care for the coaster brakes but again, if you're just tooling along on a flat paved trail...

Anything other than that? It feels very solid. I'd probably take it out very gingerly on flowing, smooth singletrack but our typical rootapalooza trails here would probably eat it's lunch.
Notice the first aid kits that are located right underneath so you can bandage yourself up after it falls apart while you ride it.:D

MTBP

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Notice the first aid kits that are located right underneath so you can bandage yourself up after it falls apart while you ride it.:D

MTBP
Ha ha. Did not notice that!

Seriously though, I recommended it to a shooting buddy of mine who gets winded just walking down to the 100-yard-line. He wants to get some exercise and he bought one today, will ride it in his neighborhood which is mostly flat as well as on the local river trail.

Not bad for him. The usual aggressive mountain bike position or worse yet, a road bike, is too uncomfortable for someone to ride if they have poor conditioning and a big gut. Better to sit on a soft, cushy saddle in a secure-feeling upright position.

I did convince him to put the saddle at the correct height and not "slammed" like everybody seems to want to and I'm going to give him some better pedals.

It is not a bad bike. Most definitely not a trail bike nor are they selling it as such. But I know there is an interest in big wheels in the mountain bike community. I'm pretty much sold on 29ers, by the way. I really like the large wheels.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Its not a mountain bike, its a cruiser.
Ah, I didn't even pay attention to that. Well, in that case I don't care about a ride report. Still an ugly bike though...lol

·
Keep pedaling
422 Posts
Thanks for the review.

Do they sell the 32" tires separately?

My local Walmart doesn't have any 32" bikes. Their bike tire section has a lot of different diameter tires, (even 27" tires) but no 32" tires.

·
Life Is Short
2,569 Posts
Thanks for the review.

Do they sell the 32" tires separately?

My local Walmart doesn't have any 32" bikes. Their bike tire section has a lot of different diameter tires, (even 27" tires) but no 32" tires.
Furball, I live on the bottom of the Verdugos. Where is there a local Wal-Mart? Monrovia?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
was it the sparkly stickers that caught your eye?
Weight: I estimate about 28-30 pounds. Definitely lighter than my Hammerschmidt/Specialized Enduro.[/quote] Add another five pounds onto that I suspect.

You can look at a weld all day long from the outside, if it does not penetrate it is not worth a ****, if the metal it has welded is not decent, weld will hold and the metal go snap

yea Im sure they are true until they come off a curb and warp from eather cheap metal or improperly tightened spokes.

Nothing more to add, if someone wants a cheap bike to ride once a year this would be it.:eekster:

I do agree it is fine for just tooling around town, quality? :madman:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
was it the sparkly stickers that caught your eye?
Add another five pounds onto that I suspect.

You can look at a weld all day long from the outside, if it does not penetrate it is not worth a ****, if the metal it has welded is not decent, weld will hold and the metal go snap

yea Im sure they are true until they come off a curb and warp from eather cheap metal or improperly tightened spokes.

Nothing more to add, if someone wants a cheap bike to ride once a year this would be it.:eekster:

I do agree it is fine for just tooling around town, quality? :madman:[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It will do fine on a bike path or paved road. Trail-ready? Not hardly. Honestly though, it felt pretty solid and appeared...appeared...relatively well-made.

I have about $20,000 worth of bikes. Trust me...I appreciate a well-made bike. With apologies to the Big Box Bike crowd, while you don't need to spend $4000 to get a decent mountain bike, $200 won't do it.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
I have a cheap Target beach cruiser arhat I run my dogs with. The furthest I've ridden it's was 20 miles and I actually did a 1000 ft. climb on it, but I ride that thing daily. There's nothing wrong with it, and it does the job.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts