Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is mine...2013 Ford Focus..love this car! Lets see your "hot" hatches..VWs..Subis...Fords...whatever!

Attachments

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
Ain't got no bike mount on it, yet!

Just drove this off the lot last night, a 2014 Focus SE w/leather. Windows will be tinted tomorrow. Ordered a hitch for it already to use my killer ol' Yakima RimRock but I want a roof mount set-up as well. I have the bars on Control Tower mounts on my 2 trucks but no trays. I'm going with 2 Highrollers and I need to get 4 Q-Tower mounts for the Focus. Is that the base mount you're using TiGeo? Is that a pretty clean and safe set-up?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
When I first bought my bike I had a '95 Mitsubishi Eclspise GST:

Now I have a Lexus CT200h. I really would not call it a "hot hatch" as its a hybrid and the least powerful car I have ever owned, but great gas mileage. Same bike and carrier too.

Here is a picture of the whole car:

·
Registered
588 Posts
My CT200h 49mpg hybrid hatch...

With my hardtail:

With my FS:

The Swagman XC2 (from 05 or 06) outlived 4 previous cars.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Add me to the 2013 Focus hatch crew. I had a 2012 Fiesta hatch, but my son outgrew the back.

backanglesweb.jpg

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
Here's what I mostly drive. 225 HP, super light racing wheels, Stoptech brakes, Borla exhaust and fully adjustable coilovers and sway bars.

This one is getting a new paint job and some bronze wheels in a couple months. It will be my primary bike hauler. I have a Saris roof load bar to go in the door with a fork mount and I'll use a Sea Sucker for the rear wheel.

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
Okay...finally done. Week old 2014 Focus. Windows tinted now. I just put the Draw-tite hitch on yesterday after picking up my Thule T2 on a smokin' deal from Art's Cyclery. I decided against the roof rack that I nearly bought.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I really like the way they sit...as opposed to mine. How much was the hitch, and did you have to drill or were there already holes there?

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
I paid $130.06 delivered, from an ebaY store and that included a drawbar I will likely never use. There is no drilling and you need a 13mm & 11/16" socket for 6 bolts, and tin snips to cut a small section of the heat shield where the hitch mates to the frame.

I literally set my chrono when I started and it took my 52 minutes and I puttered around leisurely. The most time consuming part, but still easy, was using the supplied fish-wires to fish 2 carriage bolts and large rectangle washers into the frame of the car. There's a great video, I think at eTrailer.com or on Draw-Tite's site that shows all the little tricks.

Here's the dealer...when I ordered last Wednesday they stated delivery for next Wednesday the 7th but I got it in 2 days by FedEx free shipping!

Draw Tite Class 1 Trailer Receiver Hitch for Ford Focus Sedan Hatchback | eBay

Here's the video that is on at eTrailer.com. I bought the identical hitch from them a week ago but 3 days later they tell me it would be middle May before I'd see it. It was $132 there WITHOUT a draw bar.

If you would like some pointers on the install from my experience, just ping me!

http://images.etrailer.com/Merchant...tall-trailer-hitch-2012-ford-focus-24872.webm

BTW...the Draw-Tite hitch number you need for your hatchback is the #24872. The ebaY fitment guide is marginal so I checked with Draw-Tite and confirmed it would fit my 2014 Hatch (which is the same as a 2012 and 2013). I also called the ebaY dealer and he said if Draw-Tite said it would fit, IT WOULD FIT! And it did!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks man. I'll have to wait a bit now -- I just got this Thule Gateway 2 -- which is a great carrier, it's just yours is much more secure and a lot easier to take on and off.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ain't got no bike mount on it, yet!

Just drove this off the lot last night, a 2014 Focus SE w/leather. Windows will be tinted tomorrow. Ordered a hitch for it already to use my killer ol' Yakima RimRock but I want a roof mount set-up as well. I have the bars on Control Tower mounts on my 2 trucks but no trays. I'm going with 2 Highrollers and I need to get 4 Q-Tower mounts for the Focus. Is that the base mount you're using TiGeo? Is that a pretty clean and safe set-up?

Using whatever Yakima recommended. Q-Towers and don't remember the Q-Clip numbers were. So far after a year it has been v. secure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
Thanks for the reply! As seen in post #13, I made a radical departure from my initial desire based on a few things. I'm loving the Thule T2 platform!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts