Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FatBike Fiend
Joined
·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder, Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers in conjunction with the Mat-Su Borough Parks and Rec Dept. are holding a snow slalom bike race at Hatcher Pass on Saturday, January 12 at the Borough Sledding Hill at MP 11 Hatcher Pass Road. Look for signs as you drive up the canyon. This is part of the nation-wide winter trails day and their will also be warming fires, hot chocolate, ski and snowshoe demos, avalanche beacon demos, ski tours, etc, etc.

The race is free and will start at noon so get there a bit earlier to sign up. Helmets are required, knee and elbow pads are not a bad idea... Studded tires, FatBikes, cruisers, road bikes, whatever are all allowed as long as it has two wheels and a handlebar. Each racer will get three runs and the best two count toward your time.

We put the course in yesterday, it's got about 25 gates with a short steep section and a small jump with a good landing thrown in for interest. Should be fun so come on out. A bunch of locals will be riding the XC trails at Moose Meadows afterward.
 

·
FatBike Fiend
Joined
·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All skills welcome

Mudsplattered said:
What is the skill level? Would my 16 year old mending up from an injuried wrist survive?
Should be fine, the course is pretty easy on the top and bottom but has a fairly steep but short section at mid-course so there will be some sliding around. I expect all the racers will be negotiating the steep section fairly slowly to avoid biffing and gaining some speed near the bottom to make up for it.

It's meant to be a fun race so all skill levels are welcome and the ski patrol will be standing by for any incidental carnage:crazy:.
 

·
let's ride...
Joined
·
64 Posts
I did a similar event last year at Aleyska and it was a blast, but... the course they had put together was under about 8" of fresh powder and the gates were to close together to actually make the slalom portion much more than exercise in controlled chaos.. they did have a couple of low rolling doubles that were an absolute blast and a large tabletop that made for some good heckling at the start of the course... any chance the slalom course will be groomed? or otherwise semi packed.. Making the course open to all bike and tire combos should make for good spectator viewing. One other thought--several kids showed up on ski bikes--mountain and bmx bikes modified with two skis and fixed bottom brackets--and Aleyska wouldn't let them compete.. a real disappointment for such perfectly suited specialty equipment...
 

·
FatBike Fiend
Joined
·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's groomed

hellbilly77 said:
I did a similar event last year at Aleyska and it was a blast, but... the course they had put together was under about 8" of fresh powder and the gates were to close together to actually make the slalom portion much more than exercise in controlled chaos.. they did have a couple of low rolling doubles that were an absolute blast and a large tabletop that made for some good heckling at the start of the course... any chance the slalom course will be groomed? or otherwise semi packed.. Making the course open to all bike and tire combos should make for good spectator viewing. One other thought--several kids showed up on ski bikes--mountain and bmx bikes modified with two skis and fixed bottom brackets--and Aleyska wouldn't let them compete.. a real disappointment for such perfectly suited specialty equipment...
I did the Alyeska slalom a couple times over the years, it'll be similiar but the gates aren't as tight and the one jump isn't as big. It'll still be semi-controlled chaos, though, there's a steep section right in the middle of the course. Hard to say what mother nature will dish up before the race, but the course was groomed late last week and will be again the day before the race so there should at least be a decent base.

The rulz are two wheels and a handlebar, but if a couple or more ski-bike grommets want to show, we'll make a seperate class for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
How 'bout this question...Do I even need a drive train for this event? I'm thinking about stripping my bike down to eliminate...err, minimize collateral damage. I don't see where a rear deraillerur would be beneficial but maybe I'm not thinking of something.

I also can't decide which setup I want to ride but I'm leaning towards standard 2.3" 29rs. I don't see how studs would help and I don't think I want subject my snow rims to that abuse.
 

·
FatBike Fiend
Joined
·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Equipment

SkiMonkee said:
How 'bout this question...Do I even need a drive train for this event? I'm thinking about stripping my bike down to eliminate...err, minimize collateral damage. I don't see where a rear deraillerur would be beneficial but maybe I'm not thinking of something.

I also can't decide which setup I want to ride but I'm leaning towards standard 2.3" 29rs. I don't see how studs would help and I don't think I want subject my snow rims to that abuse.
Drive train is totally optional, though a bit of pedalling may help speeds on the flatter sections. We've got about 4" of new very light snow on the course over the last few days. The groomer will be up there tomorrow in the afternoon so there should be a good base but there may be some loose stuff with freshies on top of that. I don't think the course will be icy unless we get some freak rain storm or something before the race so studs probably won't help too much. I'm leaning toward fat rims and tires, myself. The course is smooth with one little jump thrown in, rim abuse should be minimal. Bodily abuse is another matter....

See you there.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Hey , After your skills are fine tuned on Saturday, come down to Alyeska on Sunday for Alyeska's snow jam mtn bike race. It starts around noon,to be sure go to the web site. Have fun!
 

·
FatBike Fiend
Joined
·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dmat said:
Hey , After your skills are fine tuned on Saturday, come down to Alyeska on Sunday for Alyeska's snow jam mtn bike race. It starts around noon,to be sure go to the web site. Have fun!
Wow, it's like a circuit! Should be fun with all the new snow.
 

·
FatBike Fiend
Joined
·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The course is set

A few of us were up at Hatcher Pass today and did some final tweaking of the course. Due to the somewhat intimidating steep middle section of the course, we dicided to have two classes:

Novice (read: sane) will run just the bottom section which is fairly easy with about 10 gates to negotiate.

Advanced, i.e. insane, will run the whole course including the steep middle section.

There was only about an inch of new snow and Warren from the Borough was up there with the big groomer. The temperature was about 9 degrees above and there was a good base underneath which should set up even more overnight.

Here's a few pics of the course.
 

Attachments

·
FatBike Fiend
Joined
·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More pics

9 racers showed. The course had set up really nice overnight, there were very few casualties. Powder80 won the unicycle division. Thanks to Chris Gierymski for taking the race photos and Blulia for yesterday's photos.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Awesome shot of BillM ! Talk about a steely-eyed gaze...
 

·
FatBike Fiend
Joined
·
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
And the results are....

Combined two run times:

1 Taylor Buxton 01:58.19
2 Tony Berberich 01:59.71
3 Kevin Del Duca 02:14.56
4 Mark Gronewald 02:16.16
5 Bill Merchant 02:17.90
6 Dallas Sutton 02:20.51
7 Darrin Mason 02:22.82
8 Howie Powder 02:23.74
9 Chris Popham 02:24.18

Unicycle Division: One run:

1 Howie Powder 02:26.76

Valley Frontiersman Article: http://www.frontiersman.com/articles/2008/01/13/sports/doc4789c701af59e127709514.txt
:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
thanx to all

thanx gronewald-plotnck , merchants, vmba and state parks for putting on a cool race / gathering on an otherwise cold but beautiful day. i think even though the field was small for a first time event it was a great turnout and generated some good buzz
and cool picts
 

·
ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
Joined
·
245 Posts
WOW!!! thats AWESOME!!! looks like alot of funn... any good places to watch??? i wish i had know about it sooner. i would have liked to checked it out... any new races planned soon???
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top