Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few things about Cannondale frames cracking, has that or anything else happened to anyone here?

I've just bought a Bad Boy Ultra by the way, feels like a road bike love it

·
a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
238 Posts
3 years and two bikes - nope. I'm fat and I ride hard too!

All mfg's have failures though...

·
Music & Bikes
1,625 Posts
All alu frames will crack one day or another....someone that say otherwise should read on the nature of Aluminium....

I cracked my frames twice in the last 15 years , I got a warrantied frame each time by C'Dale. their service for that is tops:thumbsup:

Was really happy to have a brand new frame each time that happened to me.;)

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,390 Posts
Seen many break over the years, but many Specialized, Trek, Giant, Schwinn etc too. It happens, and, as Fokof said Cannondale will make it pretty painless, provided you haven't made it painfully obvious that you did something dumb, to cause the failure=:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes. I had a '00 Raven 900sx cracked. However it was not the carbon fiber that cracked. It was the BB shell. The crack started on the drive side and went about half way across the shell right along the point of contact with the carbon frame.

Cannondale responded giving me a choice of a free '05 Jekyll or I could upgrade to a profit. Since I had already replaced the bike, I took the freebie.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I know of a guy who've had a few cracked C'Dale frames, I asked him about it last weekend and he explains it to the way Cannondale processes it's welds. But if it cracks no questions asked Cannondale gives you a new one.... Off course if you jumped a 50 foot to flat on a hardtail then it'd be another story :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've ridden and raced DH, accidently dropped 8' to concrete, and ridden hard on a 4x prophet for a year with no creaks, no complaints.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
nope

I've owned several Cannondales including my current ss with a big dent in the side of the down tube and a Jeckyl that I tried to break by stomping 15 or 20, 5' drops in a row landing sideways hoping for an warranty upgrade to the then new 140mm Jeckyl from my 120mm version without success so the ones I've had have been tough. I have broken 3 Mc mahons, 2 Foes and a Fisher so I am clumsy enough to break 5 frames other than Cdale.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have cracked at least 5 CAAD4 framesets. Maybe 6. These were XL or J sized F3000 framesets from 1999-2001. All were drive side chainstay failures just behind the BB weld. I got a new frame each time, no hassle, no problem. I also have ridden a Furio frameset around 10,000 miles and it has not cracked. In addition I have around 3000 miles on a 2006 F2000sl Optimo frameset, no problems.

Cannondale is excellent with their warranty. Never had any problems whatsoever. Great product and great service.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
THere you go.

apacherider said:
I have cracked at least 5 CAAD4 framesets. Maybe 6. These were XL or J sized F3000 framesets from 1999-2001. All were drive side chainstay failures just behind the BB weld. I got a new frame each time, no hassle, no problem. I also have ridden a Furio frameset around 10,000 miles and it has not cracked. In addition I have around 3000 miles on a 2006 F2000sl Optimo frameset, no problems.

Cannondale is excellent with their warranty. Never had any problems whatsoever. Great product and great service.
I also cracked a XL f2000 frame at the drive side stay. It was a 1998 model. Great warranty service.

After that bike, I went to a Jekyll, for 3 seasons. Currently on a Gemini set up as a trail bike.

·
Registered
525 Posts
This thread caught my eye. I had a 92 C'dale M2000 which I really liked, even back then frame replacements were pretty common. I guess that's why C'dale is so good about them, they've had a lot of experience.

Anyway... I used to work for a company that did training videos on alot of subjects. We were doing a 3-day shoot on welding around 1995 or so.
Pretty boring until the instructor started talking about welding aluminum. For the "how not to do it" section, he pulls out a Cdale frame that was neatly cut lengthwise in half. The outside had the full team paint scheme on it. He pointed out how the headtube weld had blowthrough, there were big gobs of metal that had "dripped" down the downtube. He also said the BB welds looked like they had been done twice. Finally he pointed out how their process of filling in the joints with extra metal and sanding them smooth hides that sort of crappy welding until it breaks.

During a break I asked hime where he got the frame and he wouldn't say except that somebody gave it to him. The shoot was not all that far from Cdale's PA factory, so I suspect he had an inside source.

The other eye opener was how thin those tube walls really are.

·
Registered
399 Posts
No problems yet with my 2004 Jekyll. If the frame did crack, I feel confident that the warranty would cover the break.:)

·
Music & Bikes
1,625 Posts
GT_guy said:
Pretty boring until the instructor started talking about welding aluminum. For the "how not to do it" section, he pulls out a Cdale frame that was neatly cut lengthwise in half. The outside had the full team paint scheme on it. He pointed out how the headtube weld had blowthrough, there were big gobs of metal that had "dripped" down the downtube. He also said the BB welds looked like they had been done twice. Finally he pointed out how their process of filling in the joints with extra metal and sanding them smooth hides that sort of crappy welding until it breaks
Did that instructor told you what the "T6" in 6061-T6 means ?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
My 2001 Jekylls swingarm decided to pack it in this season and because they no longer make the swingarm anymore , through their frame exchange program , I get a RUSH frame with the RP3 shock !!
Sweet !!!!
I was going to buy one earlier in the year .
Good thing I held off .
Anyone need a just rebuildt 100mm Lefty with DLR ?
....Craig

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Price$?

ccaddy said:
My 2001 Jekylls swingarm decided to pack it in this season and because they no longer make the swingarm anymore , through their frame exchange program , I get a RUSH frame with the RP3 shock !!
Sweet !!!!
I was going to buy one earlier in the year .
Good thing I held off .
Anyone need a just rebuildt 100mm Lefty with DLR ?
....Craig
Does it come with the front wheel? If so, cost, and wheel type?

·
Registered
525 Posts
fokof said:
Did that instructor told you what the "T6" in 6061-T6 means ?
I don't remember every word he said - it was over ten years ago.
I do know what T-6 means though.
What point were you trying to make?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
GT guy if their technique is so bad why haven't they changed it? I do not own a C'Dale, but Iam thinking about getting one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts