Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
deanopatoni thats a first for me............

deanopatoni said:
I'm wondering if this is a common problem place for Fuels to break.
(excuse mud)

deanopatoni
i've never seen that kind of beak on a fuel before, i had an slr front triangle fuel and it cracked at the weld between the top and seat tubes and had it replaced under warranty and some cash for a carbon front.....i've also had the slr alu rear triangle crack at the chainstays to which i had it replaced under warranty and some cash for a carbon version,i've since had no similar problems.
i love the fuel and i love TREK and their warranty systems....i'm a trek man for life! :D

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
marco said:
i've never seen that kind of beak on a fuel before, i had an slr front triangle fuel and it cracked at the weld between the top and seat tubes and had it replaced under warranty and some cash for a carbon front.....i've also had the slr alu rear triangle crack at the chainstays to which i had it replaced under warranty and some cash for a carbon version,i've since had no similar problems.
i love the fuel and i love TREK and their warranty systems....i'm a trek man for life! :D
I agree marco, Treks warranty is great. My original SLR Fuel90 front triangle broke in the exact same place as yours. They replaced it with a Fuel95 front (the one in the photo) in the UK even though i'd bought the bike in New Zealand!
This front has lasted 16 months. I'm worried that it's such a catastrophic faulure that this time they might say I had abused it (not the case), but fingers crossed they may give me another one.
Its a great bike, but as this is the second time its broken I'm considering getting a Turner Flux. (Dreams are free)

deanopatoni

·
Registered
264 Posts
Gotta ask...did that leave a mark? :D :rolleyes:

Yep, been there done that, but it's not a common place for cracking Fuel frames. You're the only other person I've read about cracking one at the top tube near the rear cable bosses. About 2 years ago I cracked my '01 Fuel 98 in pretty much the exact same place. 'cept I heard the creaking and throughly scoured my frame before full failure. Had the LBS guys tell me it was the sleeve in the downtube creaking and a bunch of other BS but I eventually found it before a painful full on failure. :eek: Real PITA to find a crack in black paint!

Like Marco I coughed up the $$$ for the carbon upgrade & been extremely happy with it.

·
Hup, Hup
536 Posts
I too snapped my Fuel (2001 Fuel 90) at the seat tube/top tube junction and it was replaced under warranty (2002 frame) (they even let me keep most of the original frame) :D . I did not opt for the carbon upgrade but there were obvious changes made to the junction on the new one. I have never seen the break at the cable bosses either.

No complaints about the bike, works great.

Size is a 19.5" frame BTW.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Why there?

Why the failure at the cable boss?

Is this a result of a crash?
Have you been carrying the bike on a car for lots of miles?

That is an odd spot for a failure....What did trek say?

Edit: I see it now. The failure was at the junction of the seat tube and the support gussets for the rocker pivot. That I have seen before, and I am sure that Trek will take care of you, as long as you are the original owner.

Do not be shocked if they offer a EX frame or a Liquid frame instead. They may want you on a heavier frame, that is stronger.

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
damion said:
Why the failure at the cable boss?

Is this a result of a crash?
Have you been carrying the bike on a car for lots of miles?

That is an odd spot for a failure....What did trek say?

Edit: I see it now. The failure was at the junction of the seat tube and the support gussets for the rocker pivot. That I have seen before, and I am sure that Trek will take care of you, as long as you are the original owner.

Do not be shocked if they offer a EX frame or a Liquid frame instead. They may want you on a heavier frame, that is stronger.
Yip, when the frame broke I was just cruzing along single track, went over a 1ft sort of drop off and then I noticed that I could not change into granny ring. Stopped, got off the bike and tryed pulling the derailier cable manualy to check that the mechianism was getting full movement, it was so I got back on. Rode along a bit, trying the front shifter again, but it still would not change down to the granny. I stopped to get off and as I did the frame gave way under me. My instant thought was 'wow, my seatpost has just bent'. But then realised it was a bit more serious than that (as the photo illustrates). It must of been a hairline fracture that was just waiting to break. I was very lucky that at the time I was not hooting down a hill.
Its a medium frame, I'm 5'10'' 170lbs.

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good Trek. Sit

deanopatoni said:
I'm wondering if this is a common problem place for Fuels to break.
(excuse mud)

deanopatoni
Final Update....
Trek have kindly agreed to replace my entire frame (with a SLR model), instead of just the ZR9000 front triangle. This is because there are no longer any ZR9000 frames in the standard Fuel range. They will be charging me a small fee (£60) but this is still a great deal as this is the same price as a bushing kit (which I realy need after 5 years use).

Conclusion.
Trek rocks!!! No fuss, honest, frame warranty.

Me out.....

deanopatoni

·
Vigilante Trail Groomer
155 Posts
The SLR frame has been discontinued for a few years now in the US. Are they still available in the UK? I own a MED 2002 SLR and haven't had any problems. But I don't do anything real crazy on it. THats what i got my 2005 Liquid for. Did you go through a Trek dealer or did you just call up Trek? I bought both of my Treks used so I could have a problem with Trek honoring a warranty. I'd probably have to go through the LBS that installed my Chris King headset. I'm pretty sure the mechanic there told me if I had any problems to go through them.

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LiquidX9 said:
The SLR frame has been discontinued for a few years now in the US. Are they still available in the UK? I own a MED 2002 SLR and haven't had any problems. But I don't do anything real crazy on it. THats what i got my 2005 Liquid for. Did you go through a Trek dealer or did you just call up Trek? I bought both of my Treks used so I could have a problem with Trek honoring a warranty. I'd probably have to go through the LBS that installed my Chris King headset. I'm pretty sure the mechanic there told me if I had any problems to go through them.
Good point. I just checked, it will be Alpha Aluminium. I went through my LBS with my original receipt.

·
Hup, Hup
536 Posts
deanopatoni said:
Final Update....
Trek have kindly agreed to replace my entire frame (with a SLR model), instead of just the ZR9000 front triangle. This is because there are no longer any ZR9000 frames in the standard Fuel range. They will be charging me a small fee (£60) but this is still a great deal as this is the same price as a bushing kit (which I realy need after 5 years use).

Conclusion.
Trek rocks!!! No fuss, honest, frame warranty.

Me out.....

deanopatoni
That's good to hear. It's always good to know that a company stands behind their products.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.