Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been an avid cyclist since 2006. I participated in the local bike races and events and take my kids to the local community bike rides. I'm active in the local bike community and know many of the local riders in my area. But recently I've just been kind of ho-hum about biking. As we all know new gear always makes biking more interesting, but with the price of gear getting progressively more expensive seemingly for little to no reason I've been reticent to upgrade anything as nothing I own seems to warrant spending the exorbitantly expensive costs. I still ride for fun but the enjoyment I used to get from getting new gear it no longer attainable at the economic prices that the bike industry has set. It's not like I'm poor, I can afford to get whatever my heart desires, but I'm not willing to pay the price the bike industry is asking.

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Actually if anything bikes have gotten cheaper over the years.

A bike that cost $4000 in 2006 is vastly inferior in every way to a modern $4000 bike. What has changed is that the a lot more people are buying top of the line bikes which have gotten more expensive. But they too are vasty superior to older top of the line bikes.

Just look at this bike:
https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/element/2019?tid=71
Less than $3000 canadian!! Absolutely killer bike, I bet other than being heavier is far superior to the a $7000 bike from 2005.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I can't justify spending the amount of money some of these newer bikes/parts cost. I don't mind buying second hand, and sure some of my gear is dated but I cant say that's making me less interested in biking. Two of your three bikes are more current than anything I own, but if I were you, I'd be expecting a good 5/10 years out of those bikes.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in the same boat, I can't justify spending the amount of money some of these newer bikes/parts cost. I don't mind buying second hand, and sure some of my gear is dated but I cant say that's making me less interested in biking. Two of your three bikes are more current than anything I own, but if I were you, I'd be expecting a good 5/10 years out of those bikes.
I'm happy with my bikes. But I still have not tried boost or eagle 12 speed or carbon wheels, or gone with an orange fork (Which i really really want).. I can afford them, I just don't feel the price is worth it.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
Years ago I was really into buying and selling guitar gear. I would play all the time, but only when I was testing a new piece of gear or configuration. Now looking back I wasn't into playing guitar, I was into guitar gear. I still pick up an acoustic once a week or so, but it's not really a hobby of mine anymore.

My point is that if what makes you want to ride is a new piece of gear then this may not be a passion of yours. Something like RC cars or similar where gear fiddling is a more integral part of the hobby might be better.

I'm really not trying to be diminutive, there's nothing wrong with it if biking isn't for you, but that's my honest reaction. I love to ride. I honestly don't care about bikes, upgrades and all that. Obviously I do what I can to keep a decent ride under me, but the only gear question that determines my excitement for riding is 'does my bike work?' If it does, I'm pumped and I love every second I get to be out riding.

Do you dig? Trail building can help bring a new appreciation for the sport. Nothing better than riding a trail you built, or even just a spot you maintained.

Good luck!

I still have not tried boost or eagle 12 speed or carbon wheels, or gone with an orange fork (Which i really really want).. I can afford them, I just don't feel the price is worth it.
They aren't going to make biking more fun for you.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
Is the price of equivalent bikes, adjusted for inflation, actually going up, or is the upper limit of what the ultimate high-end bikes just going up? I think part of the feeling that bikes and parts are "more expensive" is partially in our heads.

I don't have experience buying new bikes, just frames and parts. I am partial to steel hardtails, and the price of my current Karate Monkey frame only went up a few bucks since the first time I bought a KM frame in 2011 and the new one is much improved for the nominal price change.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I'm happy with my bikes. But I still have not tried boost or eagle 12 speed or carbon wheels, or gone with an orange fork (Which i really really want).. I can afford them, I just don't feel the price is worth it.
Give it a few more years, prices will come down or the trends will shift again.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yeah, not to pile on but iterations of this complaint/debate have been discussed.

One of the things I love about biking is that the cost of it, within reason, is what you make it. I can (and have) ridden some of the most challenging technical local trails where I ride on a $400 hard tail. That's what I started on and rode for 5 years before I got my first decent bike. That was a long time ago but you could easily get a decent used hard tail for around that price today.

The bike I ride right now the most often would be considered top of the line but I bought it used with one season of riding on it for less than half of what it would have cost when it was released. To me it was an incredible value for what I was getting, but still cost more than some bikes do brand new.

I like to tinker with my bikes. I buy stuff I don't need. I mostly do all of my own work. Because I enjoy it. But at the end of the day, riding is what I love, no matter what bike I am on or how much it costs.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The rise of the $400-600 CAD cassette has been a bit of a gut check moment.... I mean, it's great to have all those speeds, but.... still.

Of course, I'm also getting older and angrier as time passes, and that might be clouding my vision of ..... modern bicycle technical excellence and value?

·
Registered
241 Posts
started this about 2 years ago (53 years old) on a 450.00 bike which I thought was crazy for a bike. Now, @ 55 and buying bikes that cost many thousands of dollars. I am in so much better shape that it seems cheap, way cheaper than a triple bypass anyway.
just my .02

Reactions: Fajita Dave

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
Anyone have an apples-to-apples comparison to make? I am trying to think of a common denominator, but it's hard to make since bikes change so much. I have a hunch that the bike you can buy for $1000 today is MUCH better than what you could get for $1000 a decade ago. Keep in mind, 2009 was ten years ago now!

·
since 4/10/2009
34,356 Posts
meh. then don't upgrade your stuff?

Once I buy something, I mostly don't "upgrade" it just for the helluvit. I ride it till it's dead and I maintain it until then. MTB is my hobby, so I'll spend some money for nice stuff that will last and be easily serviceable. I also expect to keep the stuff I buy for awhile. I'm not going to buy something only to get tired of it in 6mo or a year and then replace it with something else. I tend to be more thoughtful of my initial purchases so I'm sure they'll work for me long term.

·
Registered
17,242 Posts
It's not like I'm poor, I can afford to get whatever my heart desires, but I'm not willing to pay the price the bike industry is asking.
I can't relate to this. If I could afford to get whatever I wanted I'd buy everything that I want. I love cycling and immensely enjoy what I have but can only drool over some stuff that I'd like to have.

If anything new tech has made cycling even more interesting even if I can't afford it.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
Anyone have an apples-to-apples comparison to make? I am trying to think of a common denominator, but it's hard to make since bikes change so much. I have a hunch that the bike you can buy for $1000 today is MUCH better than what you could get for $1000 a decade ago. Keep in mind, 2009 was ten years ago now!
Can't speak to $1000 price range ten years ago, but how about $700 16 years ago? Hardtail with an air fork, 26" wheels, cable rim brakes, quick release skewers, probably a 75 degree head angle or something similarly ridiculous. Today $700 gets you any number of 29ers with hydraulic disc brakes, trail geometries and thru-axles.

By comparison, a $700 bike in 2003 was essentially a similar build to a $100 Wal-Mart bike today. (Not in quality sure, but as far as the technology.)

It's all relative so I can't say that means bikes have gotten cheaper, but I can say that getting a good experience on the trail (or at least a bike that gives you the best shot at it) is cheaper today than it was then.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I've always been a high end admirer, but never a buyer. Biking is a hobby, not the only one and among responsibilities that need funding. I'm perfectly happy buying used or a few years old. The one thing that has annoyed me lately isn't the cost, but the many current standards for hubs, BBs, etc. I can't keep up!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Years ago I was really into buying and selling guitar gear. I would play all the time, but only when I was testing a new piece of gear or configuration. Now looking back I wasn't into playing guitar, I was into guitar gear. I still pick up an acoustic once a week or so, but it's not really a hobby of mine anymore.

My point is that if what makes you want to ride is a new piece of gear then this may not be a passion of yours. Something like RC cars or similar where gear fiddling is a more integral part of the hobby might be better.

I'm really not trying to be diminutive, there's nothing wrong with it if biking isn't for you, but that's my honest reaction. I love to ride. I honestly don't care about bikes, upgrades and all that. Obviously I do what I can to keep a decent ride under me, but the only gear question that determines my excitement for riding is 'does my bike work?' If it does, I'm pumped and I love every second I get to be out riding.

Do you dig? Trail building can help bring a new appreciation for the sport. Nothing better than riding a trail you built, or even just a spot you maintained.

Good luck!

They aren't going to make biking more fun for you.
I hear you, I was thinking the same thing. Do i ride because I enjoy riding or do I ride just to test out new gear? Welp, I realized I do both. I ride because I enjoy going out and being free in nature and I ride to keep me in good physical shape. I also like toys and playing with new ones. Part of what kept biking interesting to me was trying out new toys. Another thing that's occured to me is I've ridden the trails around here hundreds of times so I know my area on a bike like the back of my hand, so admittedly the thrill of discovery is a little lost for me. I look forward to epic trips in undiscovered territory. Having a new bike toy sort of made up for some of that also.

Lately I've picked up a fishing rod and some tackle and even mounted a rod holder on my bike to make my trips a little more interesting. I've gotten to the point where I leave the bike at home and just hike around my local lake with my rod. The trails I've been riding for years have suddenly become new territory for me again.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One thing that comes to mind is the price of helmets. Backin 2006 the average cost of a decent MTB helmet was about $40. $70 tops. Today they go for as much as $300 with the average being about $70 for decent helmet. Materials haven't changed much.

·
beater
6,133 Posts
Same, aside from 148. I have no problem with incremental changes, because I don't feel that I need to make them to my current bike, or update it as anything changes. When I decide to get a new bike, things will be different. I can't say it bothers me that much. Most people don't update or replace their cars or phones every year. I don't see bikes as that different.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.