Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been running Maxxis WT tires for a couple years, as when I first got the bike 2.3 tires didn't seem to sit properly. Sidewall bulged out and the tire seemed to square off.

Always felt that I had too much tire for the bike, Ripley, so I got bored and gave 2.3 Minions a try. They seem to look ok on the 35mm rims. Sidewall isn't bulging and the tread seems ok.

Maybe Maxxis has updated their 2.3 tires to sit better on wider wheels? Mounted width is sitting around 2.35.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,179 Posts
I tried one last year towards the end of the season on the front, did not work for me, couldn't lean the bike past a certain angle. Put it on the rear of the bike and all was well (except rolling resistance). 2.5WT no issues.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're going to get better grip from the 2.5WT vs 2.30 anyway. I had tons of grip with my 2.5DHF.

Guess I'm just happy that the 2.3 seems to be sitting pretty good on my 35mm rim.

I'll focus on some cornering and see if there's any negatives. Obviously the 2.3's weren't as plush as the 2.5. Only had one ride on it, so far so good.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ran 2.3 dhr2 on 35mm rim a while back and I did not like it, grip was higher in low speed situations but when at the limit the grip was on/off with very little communication in-between. Have since happily gone back to 26mm rim width.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
I wish Maxxis would update their 2.3 line to fit wider rims, but for now I have heard the 2.3 aggressor works well on 30mm rims. I think yeti actually ran a 2.5 dhf front/ 2.3 aggressor rear on 30mm internal width rims on several of their bikes. My next bike is probably going to have 30mm rims and I like narrower rear tires so I hope to be able to run some maxxis 2.3 on it. I think other brands like 2.3 specialized work well on 30mm rims also. But having 2.3s work well on 35mm rims is a bit much I think.

I'm thinking they may have. Makes sense..not too many rims on an aggressive bike are under 30mm these days.

2.30 DHF on a 35mm rim:

That looks quite impressive actually, I'd be curious as to how a 2.3 dhf works on the rear with a 2.4/2.5 maxxis front, like a 2.4 dhr2 or 2.5 assegai. The 2.3 dhf has been one of my favorite tires on the rear for sure but I stopped running it because I also run a dhf upfront which caused issues for me, so I now run dhf/ aggressor.

If I am correct, the Ibis hd3 actually came with 2.3 DHFs standard on 35 mm rims and reviews thought they worked well, Maxxis wide trail tires didn't exist then. Although I also think they had issues with sidewall tears on those rims when hitting rocks that you probably wouldn't have on wider tires. But DHFs and the aggressor seem to be the exception in that they can be run on wider wheels.

EDIT: Actually the profile of that DHF on the 35mm rim still looks fairly round! It looks like it will work well.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks quite impressive actually, I'd be curious as to how a 2.3 dhf works on the rear with a 2.4/2.5 maxxis front, like a 2.4 dhr2 or 2.5 assegai. The 2.3 dhf has been one of my favorite tires on the rear for sure but I stopped running it because I also run a dhf upfront which caused issues for me, so I now run dhf/ aggressor.
Just switched from the 2.5DHF to the 2.3DHF, with a 2.3 aggressor on the back. The 2.5DHF was bomber, but felt big for the Ripley.

Once the aggressor wears out, in the back, I may try a 2.3DHF back there. Don't think the aggressor rolls much faster.

Ride tonight was pretty good. The 2.3's seem to be corning well. No washing out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.