Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I missed the Downieville Classic last year...first time in 6 years...

From what I have heard, the whole event has turned into a 3 ring circus...is that true?...

I noticed it was getting bigger and bigger, but did things really get turned up a notch in 2007?...

Is it more corporate than grassroots now?...I mean really, the DH selling out in less than 4 minutes?!?...I'm glad i decided to try the XC race this year...

I hear this whole thing between Weir and some guy named Beneke has turned it into a Shimano/Fox vs. SRAM/Rock Shox battle...

Am I wrong?...if so, set me straight...I want to know what to expect before I head up there.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Maybe if you are a Pro, but for the rest of us mortals it is the same great event INMHO, and I have done it every year for the last 6 years. I never even knew about the whole Weir/Jergen thing till the article came out and I know some of the guys that out the event on.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Last year was my first race at D-ville (first race ever, actually) so I can't say much about the vibe changes. What I do know is that from the time I was done until the time I had polished off 6 scoops of ice cream, I don't really remember very much. It was mostly pain, cramping, seeing stars, blacking out and failing to down a single beer.

This year I'll be around for the downhill part. Which brings me to another question ... do they allow people to go up the trail a bit and film/take pictures? What is the best way to get onto the trail and get some shots in?

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
NoBalance said:
Last year was my first race at D-ville (first race ever, actually) so I can't say much about the vibe changes. What I do know is that from the time I was done until the time I had polished off 6 scoops of ice cream, I don't really remember very much. It was mostly pain, cramping, seeing stars, blacking out and failing to down a single beer.

This year I'll be around for the downhill part. Which brings me to another question ... do they allow people to go up the trail a bit and film/take pictures? What is the best way to get onto the trail and get some shots in?
Yeah, you can go up the trail to shoot photos. best wa yto do it is to volunteer as a course marshall and bring the cam.
You get a tshirt, free camping in town, and free food if you volunteer.
I did it last year, it was really fun, laid back and easy work. Mostly cheering folks on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Its still a great event and race! Yes, it is more popular each year, but thats because it's such a great race, party, and good times.As usual, the media,or someone from this site, has to hype up some confrontation between companys or riders to say something different about the downieville classic other than its a great event year in and year out. So, just get here and have a good time whether you're racing and watching, or just hanging out and have a great time.....THATS THE WHOLE POINT......See you there

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the shimano/fox vs. SRAM/rock shox comment comes from the weir vs. beneke friction...a magazine that ran the story about the 2 of them alluded to it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.