Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
Wouldn't use it in a million years. So what happens when you happen to hit a rock, root etc.. hard right where that nice pointy brass plug is?

No thanks.

He would have been better off making it like car tire system where it's just the soft plug material.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Genuine Innovations sells a 5 pack of plugs with the insertion tool for about $6. if you already have the tool, refills of plugs cost even less. they work great for trailside repair of a puncture in a tubeless tire. I carry them in a small ziplock bag so the plugs don't dry out.

·
climbing optimized
249 Posts
I got one for tubeless street motorcycle tires. The plugs are very difficult to load into the tool. The hole I patched still has a slow leak.

I'd recommend trying something else.

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
Anyone tried new Dynaplug air (Dynaplug® Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Tools and Accessories Or megaplug (Dynaplug® Online Store | Dynaplug® Megaplug Tubeless Tire Repair Plugs).
I looks promising, but it really works? "nonsymmetrical holes", sidewall rips...
It still has a nice big pointy brass plug to damage the wheel. Nothing promising about it.

The whole point of tubeless is to run lower pressures. Lower pressure mean more tire deflection, letting that nice pointy plug hit your rim.

Sorry I think it's a stupid idea and no way I'd use that on my carbon wheels. I wouldn't even use it if I was still running AL rims.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
So when you put that in and it comes out, gets pushed in, stretches tire enough it wont seal what will you do then? I carry a patch kit and a tube and something to line the tire with if it rips.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,084 Posts
Question are they scaled down for bike tires vs. the normal automotive plugs?
Yes, they're considerably smaller and seem to be less sticky than the automotive ones. Seems some have had luck with them. I cannot recommend the Genuine Innovations plugs personally as the only puncture I've had that Stan's wouldn't plug, these couldn't either (even with 2 plugs stuffed in there). I now follow the same method dirtrider76 mentions above.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've used the Genuine Innovations product and it works great.
Me too. I wouldn't mind if they were more sticky, but otherwise they seem to work fine....and they're cheap, light and stow in you tire kit without fuss.

I looked at the Dynaplug stuff. I couldn't get over the fact there was a comparatively GIANT, sharp, metal bit on the end. Having plugged many auto tires over the years and knowing you can go through a bike tire casing faster left me wanting nothing to do with an added sharp point to A) be swinging around inside the tire B) possibly puncturing the rim tape and C) possibly causing more problems from a later 'pinch' of sorts. Dynaplug would be much better off getting rid of the pointy bit and just using the plug like virtually every other tire plug on the market!

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
I have this... haven't had a chance to use it yet. Not too worried about the brass plug puncturing my tire. My tires rarely, if ever, bottom out.
Ironically, now they won't need to to damage the rim. That plug sitting in there gives you even less room to compress the tire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts