Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my Purgatory off the front and replaced it with a Buthcer. I was debating between the Minion and the Butcher and went with the Butcher, hoping I made the right call. Anyone care to comment? Looking for feedback from someone who has ridden both. I know these tires were made by the same person and are very similar tires.

I've only ever ridden with an X-King (on my XC bike before getting a proper trail/AM bike) and the Pugatory. The X-King was complete misery on AM trails, as I'd expect on AM trails, but the Purgatory is decent. However, it gives out unexpectedly while cornering sometimes and it's affecting my confidence.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
I rode the 2.5 DHF exo front and rear for a couple years on my AM/FR bike and liked them quite well. I switched to the 2.3 Butcher on a recommendation from a friend and found I liked it at least as well. I think the 2.3 Butcher was a good bit larger and had deeper lugs, yet didn't seem to roll any worse. It seems it lasted a bit longer than the DHF as well.

I can't think of anything I liked less about the Butcher They are very similar though as hitechredneck said. Good call.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It really comes down to which version of DHF and Butcher we are talking about to get a real comparison.

IMHO, the best thing about the butcher is the SX casing option, which is between Maxxis EXO and 2-ply. Not sure which version you got though.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People don't gash a lot of tires around here so I got the "control" model. Might get the "grid" next time if I feel like I need more. Running tubeless with "control" models of the purgatory has been fine.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I prefer the Butcher. Have used the 2.5 in DH and SX and the 2.3 in SX and now Control n 650b. The 2.5 butcher is bigger than minion 2.5, about same size as my minion 2.7. i actually prefer the SX (with a heavy DH tube for shuttling/park) to the DH version, the DH version has harder rubber as a foundation for the knobs to give them more support but if you ride it long enough so the softer outer rubber wears down (its not very deep!) and the harder rubber is exposed it gets slippery. But hey its a race day tire. I dont think they make the 2.5 dh casing one anyomore. The 2.3 control is a bit small, measures 2.25" across the knobs. But for the price, grip, tubeless, and light weight on a trail bike, cant be beat! both Minion and Butcher are waaay better than the purgatory, especially up front. Heck the Ground Control has more grip than the purg.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Having used both excessively, I prefer the Minion. The side knobs on the Butcher, especially the SX, get under cut rather quickly on our sand/granite surfaces. Once that happens, the tire squirmes horribly. The Minion side knobs are supported much better and flex less.

Both tires are great and I have no issues going with whichever one I can get my hands on quicker/cheaper, and both are worlds better than the Purgatory in both cornering and braking IMO.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty thrilled then cuz the purgatory is amaze balls compared to the only other tire I've used up front (again--to be expected since it was an XC tire)

·
No Clue Crew
4,107 Posts
Having used both excessively, I prefer the Minion. The side knobs on the Butcher, especially the SX, get under cut rather quickly on our sand/granite surfaces. Once that happens, the tire squirmes horribly. The Minion side knobs are supported much better and flex less.
This. I liked my Butchers but the longevity of the SX knobs left a lot to be desired. I've got a couple Minions in the garage but bought them on sale after I bought my current Nevegals so haven't tried them yet. I'm lead to believe the Minion will not deteriorate as quickly as the Butcher.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I used Minions for 9 years. Switched to Butchers and even though they are actually made by Maxis and are pretty much the same mold they do feel like they hook up better than the Minions but that could just be my imagination. Sickest tire I have ever used imho.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'm on a Butcher front now. I moved my Purg front to the rear and it bogged BAD. Switched it to an Ardent 2.25 and it is amazing so far. So much faster and 90% of the braking.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yeah I'm on a Butcher front now. I moved my Purg front to the rear and it bogged BAD. Switched it to an Ardent 2.25 and it is amazing so far. So much faster and 90% of the braking.
I did the same, switching the Purg to the back because I didn't like the profile, and it wasn't big enough. I'm running a Chunky Monkey up front, which I like a lot, but I don't really care for the Purg out back either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts