Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this E-13 bash guard that will cover a chainring way bigger than I will ever run. I am thinking I will make it a smaller diameter via electric jigsaw, since there is no reason no run more ring protection than I need (clearance). Has anyone done this? Anything I should watch out for?
 

·
kona-tize me captain
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
AW_ said:
So I have this E-13 bash guard that will cover a chainring way bigger than I will ever run. I am thinking I will make it a smaller diameter via electric jigsaw, since there is no reason no run more ring protection than I need (clearance). Has anyone done this? Anything I should watch out for?
u shoudl watch otu for not doing it?

why would u blow the money just to cut one down that much. if your so anxious to cut somethign go pick up 1/4 piece of steel plate and cut that to fit
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
austinb89 said:
why would u blow the money just to cut one down that much. if your so anxious to cut somethign go pick up 1/4 piece of steel plate and cut that to fit
It isn't going to cost me anything to cut it down other than my time and 2 cents worth of electricity.

Do you think 1/4" steel plate would be an ideal material for a bash guard?

This bashguard is the size of a frisbee and it doesn't need to be that big.
 

·
wannabee
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
I'd say don't try it. If it's the acrylic guard it will melt and plug up the blade. Plus trying to keep the saw in the right position will be difficult. A machine shop might be a good choice. Steel will be too heavy. Try aluminum.:thumbsup:
 

·
kona-tize me captain
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
giantbikeboy said:
I'd say don't try it. If it's the acrylic guard it will melt and plug up the blade. Plus trying to keep the saw in the right position will be difficult. A machine shop might be a good choice. Steel will be too heavy. Try aluminum.:thumbsup:
word plus u might even risk cracking the acrylic actualyl arent e-13;'s macrolon or something?

i know steel will be to heavy but it will deff no doubt work;)

if u really just want to use ur existing frisbee guard, take it to a machine shop and have them put it on a lathe or cnc something liek that to make a nice smooth cut not a crazy jig saw
 

·
aka Jesse Palmer
Joined
·
857 Posts
offtheedge said:
then buy the right size
E-13's "small" size is still pretty big, I think it will actaully cover a 38tooth, so it looks like a frisbee on a 32 or 34 tooth ring.

You could get a Gamut or Truvativ "plastic" bash gaurd, they come in smaller sizes. Or try a 36tooth ring, I really like that size.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
offtheedge said:
then buy the right size
I agree that would be the best solution if I were starting from scratch and didn't have any parts, but I already have the parts, you see?
 

·
Why aren't you riding????
Joined
·
426 Posts
AW_ said:
I agree that would be the best solution if I were starting from scratch and didn't have any parts, but I already have the parts, you see?
so you will NEVER need that size again? you decided you will only run a 34t for ever?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=58

unless you have a lathe you're gonna struggle cutting it by hand, but if you're feeling crafty:thumbsup:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kjcorley said:
Ehh... what the hell, I say you give it a shot. How thick is the metal?
It is some type of plastic. Less than 1/2" thick. The one dude says "makrolon". The e13 site is all whacky, I am not sure what it is made of.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
austinb89 said:
word plus u might even risk cracking the acrylic actualyl arent e-13;'s macrolon or something?

i know steel will be to heavy but it will deff no doubt work;)

if u really just want to use ur existing frisbee guard, take it to a machine shop and have them put it on a lathe or cnc something liek that to make a nice smooth cut not a crazy jig saw
You guys sure aren't very adventurous.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kjcorley said:
I have to agree that is going to be fairly tough by hand. If you do give it a try, i would cut it slightly larger and then sand the sides down a significant amount to get it as round as possible.
Who said anything about round? I was going to either make it shaped like those saw blade rotors or maybe carve some tough guy skulls or flames into it with my dremel.
 

·
Why aren't you riding????
Joined
·
426 Posts
AW_ said:
You guys sure aren't very adventurous.
what I am is old and a machinist and I'm just letting you know that cutting
that polycarbonate by hand has a 99.9% chance of failure. Now I'm all for
dangerous power tool usage, but do yourself a favor and buy what you need.

After attempting to cut your ring you'll have to buy one anyways.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
offtheedge said:
what I am is old and a machinist and I'm just letting you know that cutting
that polycarbonate by hand has a 99.9% chance of failure. Now I'm all for
dangerous power tool usage, but do yourself a favor and buy what you need.

After attempting to cut your ring you'll have to buy one anyways.
Thanks for the advice.

I just found this thread where some dude pulled it off.

 

·
Why aren't you riding????
Joined
·
426 Posts
AW_ said:
Who said anything about round? I was going to either make it shaped like those saw blade rotors or maybe carve some tough guy skulls or flames into it with my dremel.
See now you're talking............dremel it like this
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
834 Posts
use a lathe to make it smaller or make one out of aluminum. me and my friend made ones for our bikes out of aluminum and they worked good but i sold it with my old bike
 
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Top