Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new pair of brakes for my Santa Cruz Blur (moving my Avid Juicy Fives over to my new Surly Karate Monkey). Have been looking at the 2007 Hope Mini and the Mono M4 brakes. They look fantastic!!!! Has anyone tried them yet? How can they be compared to the Avid Juicy line of brakes?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hope-fully I Get to try my new '07 MM's today

I bolted the front on last night. The postmount installation is a breeze. 180 front / 160 in rear, buzzsaw style rotors. I might upgrade to the two piece rotors later. I will be thrilled if they perform half as good as they look!

I will report back after I ride with them this weekend.:)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I got my M4's (7") w/ the steel braided housing about a month ago. I'm hoping to have my Nomad built up by next weekend, so I should hopefully have an opinion in a couple weeks :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm running a Mono Mini with the floating 160mm rotor on the front of my singlespeed. I've only done maybe 10 hours on it so far but it's been great in that time.

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,214 Posts
I've got the new Mono Mini and M4 combo on my singlespeed. Although I haven't really put them through their paces, yet...the performance feels to be exactly the same as the older style mini/M4 that I had on there prior.

The machine work on the new style is quite trick. The new saw tooth rotors are swanky. They've removed even more material from the calipers and the reservour/perch assembly. However, they added some weight back with the new post mount and mounting hardware. So, any net loss in weight is probably a wash.

I really wish they hadn't gone away from the IS mounts. Less parts. Less stuff to come loose.

On my squish bike I have the new V2's. But, I'll have to wait on these as well. I only have a driveway test for now.

Note: Czech out the brake tract contact area on the V2 compared to the M4.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smooth!!

Thanks for the pics guys! They look sooooo goood!! :thumbsup: I may order them this weekend! thinking about the normal type of rotor (not the floating one) and the normal hoses (the non-braided).

I guess you've seen this prototype Mono Light brake ? :D :D

Aquaholic said:
I've got the new Mono Mini and M4 combo on my singlespeed. Although I haven't really put them through their paces, yet...the performance feels to be exactly the same as the older style mini/M4 that I had on there prior.

The machine work on the new style is quite trick. The new saw tooth rotors are swanky. They've removed even more material from the calipers and the reservour/perch assembly. However, they added some weight back with the new post mount and mounting hardware. So, any net loss in weight is probably a wash.

I really wish they hadn't gone away from the IS mounts. Less parts. Less stuff to come loose.

On my squish bike I have the new V2's. But, I'll have to wait on these as well. I only have a driveway test for now.

Note: Czech out the brake tract contact area on the V2 compared to the M4.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered the Mono M4 brakes

1 Hope Mono M4 Disc Brake Front 2007
(Hope Mono M4 Moto Front 2007 LH Lever - Standard Hose, Hope Mount Adaptor
Front Post to IS 183mm 74mm Post to IS 183mm, Hope Disc Mono Mini/M4 Saw Disc
183mm 6-Bolt)

1 Hope Mono M4 Disc Brake Rear 2007
(Hope Mono M4 Moto Rear 2007 RH Lever - Standard Hose, Hope Mount Adaptor
Rear Post to IS 160mm 74mm Post to IS 160mm, Hope Disc Mono Mini/M4 Saw Disc
160mm 6-Bolt)

:thumbsup: ;) :D

They will be mounted on my Santa Cruz Blur. The current Juicy 5 will be moved over to a Surly Karate Monkey frame thats on it's way :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
No squeal yet

I don't think that they're fully bedded yet, but they are squeal-free and that includes riding in pretty damp conditions, but not full-on soaked yet. They do make very light "whir" type noise on occassion. Very faint, but I do hear it when slowing from higher speeds on the front rotor (180 ss Hope Saw-style).

My Hayes squealed really loudly when wet (around here that is always).

·
Registered
52 Posts
New Mono-mini update

JAKEtheDOG said:
Would love to know this myself. Thinking of ditching my Juicy 7's in favor of the new Hopes.

Also, what's the upcharge for the floating rotors and braided line?
I was able to get out for another ride yesterday. I did hear my first squeal. It was raining and a little wetter. It was nothing compared to the Hayes that they replaced and it went away real quick.....but one of the brakes did give me a little squeal.

I bought mine from Monkamoo. I think that the two piece rotors are an $80 upgrade for the set. I can't remember what braided lines are, but the prices are all on their website.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Just installed my M4's. Out of the box, they feel great! FAR better than the 07 Juicy 7's. I'm riding tomorrow and it will be raining and muddy, so I'll give feedback then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.