Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
uofabill
213 Posts
Yessir

I just switched from CrossMax to some wheels with Rhynolites and I am using the Stans system.
I started out trying to use some Michelin Wildgripper Comp S UST tires. Fuggetaboutit!
What I learned, first the hard way, then from e-mailing Stan is that it is virtually impossible to mount Michelins on those rims. I ruined one of my high dollar rim strips trying to wrestle those Michelins on there.
What you will find out is that the spoke valley or rim gorge (depending upon what different people call it) on Rhynolites is pretty shallow compared to some other rims, which makes mounting tires more difficult.
I am now running Conti Explorer Protection tires and Stans and the Contis are much easier to mount (although still pretty tough) than the Michelin UST's.
Another thing Stan told me is that Hutcheson UST tires are easier to mount than other brands of UST.
He also said he rarely uses UST tires with his system, it is designed to be used with regular tires.
Next time I need tires I may try, Blue Groves. I read lots of positive things about them on this board.
As far as the Rhynolite rims go, I am a clyde and finally had to accept that I need a beefier rim for long XC rides. I am really liking the rims other than the difficulty of mounting tires.
The Stan's/tubeless system requires a learning curve and it can be pretty frustrating getting tires aired up the first time. My experience has been, some tires seal pretty quickly and can be aired up with a floor pump and others are extremely stubborn and I had to find a compressor with an air tank so I could get a big blast of air in there fast. When you have that it goes well. It is one of those things where you need to read and follow his instructions carefully. It will save you some grief.
Stan also discourages the use of CO2 to air up tires with his sealant in them. He says it renders the sealant useless. Having said that there have been quite a few posts on these boards disputing that claim. A lot of users on here say they are using CO2 + Stans with no problem.
Hope this helps.
Wild Bill

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Regular R.Lites or XL Rhinos?

ronny said:
If so how well does no tubes work on Rhyno lites?

Thanks for the input.
It makes a difference on the regular RhinoLite or the XL Rhinolite. The regular and original Rhinolite was a wider rim. The later Rhinolite XL is a narrower rim. I have both, and they use different rim strips. You need to determine which strip you need to match which rim you have. Here's a pic of both.

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Not too frequently.

ronny said:
I guess what I want to know now is it a worthwhile upgrade on a heavy freeride/trailbike. Do you need to refill the tires frequently?
Depending where you live and the temperature during the summer, the most freqent you need to recheck the sealant is about once every 2 months--this mainly during higher summer temps. Checking is easy, because all you have to do is unseat a small portion of the bead and peek inside. If needed, then you just pour about 3oz in and close up the bead again. Either Rhino rim works very well with a Stan's setup. I've been using non-UST Mich. Hot S models in the 2.2 and 2.5 for a couple of Bullits and a couple of FSRs with bulletproof results. There are lots of other models of tires that works well too. Two of the other mechanics at the shop are using them on big hit styles bikes too with no problems whatsoever.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Which rim?

DiRt DeViL said:
Which is which? Inquiring minds want to know.
I'm guessing you're asking which is the regular and which is the XL Rhino. The older rim with the red Michelin and the "SUN RIMS" logo is the regular Rhino. The one with the black tire is the Rhino XL.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Looks like XLs, but...

DiRt DeViL said:
What are these? XL's or Regular.

You should probably just measure the external width of the rim. XLs are 27mm wide and regular Rhynolites are 30mm. I'm not really sure if the 30mm Rhynos are even available anymore.

·
Registered
335 Posts
i'm pretty sure that says 29.5mm in any case you will need the wider version of stans strips...the 22mm size will not work.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Tubeless rim strip with Valve Stem for 27-34mm Downhill rims - $25.00/each
Tubeless rim strip with Valve Stem and removable core for Rhyno Lite Tubeless Mountain Bike rims Fits: Rhyno lite, 521, 219 - $25.00/each
http://www.notubes.com/accessories.htm#Single
your call....actually a call to Stan may help but i think either of these will work

·
the bomb
531 Posts
agree, xl's

TNC said:
You should probably just measure the external width of the rim. XLs are 27mm wide and regular Rhynolites are 30mm. I'm not really sure if the 30mm Rhynos are even available anymore.
originals were NOT machined and welded.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
XLs use the same as an F219.

vermont said:
Tubeless rim strip with Valve Stem for 27-34mm Downhill rims - $25.00/each
Tubeless rim strip with Valve Stem and removable core for Rhyno Lite Tubeless Mountain Bike rims Fits: Rhyno lite, 521, 219 - $25.00/each
http://www.notubes.com/accessories.htm#Single
your call....actually a call to Stan may help but i think either of these will work
The older 30mm Rhynolite uses the wider strip. I have the wider strips in that one pictured with the red Michelin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts