Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ride and Smile suckas
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the MT Kings, I currently run 2.4 front and rear Supersonic with Stans, but the rear sidewall is beat up. I was going to go for the MT King 2.4 protection then I saw the Speed Kings with protection.
Any help would be appreciated.
They almost look like they would hook up better than the Kings because of the shape of that middle tread, but I know you can never tell by the looks.

Anyone Continental Speed Kings? Light too at 580g for the protection 2.3 vs 750g for the 2.4 King with protection.

Thanks
-Matt

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
I have the 2.4 Mountain King protection on my Titus Motolite and the 2.3 Speed King supersonic on my Scott Spark.

One thing I can tell you is I would never run Stans on the supersonic version. The sidewalls are paper thin.

The Mountain Kings seem a lot wider than the Speed Kings.

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
Tubedriver said:
The Speed King 2.3 are about the worst tire I have ever used. :nono:

The Race King 2.2 are about the best tire I have ever used. :thumbsup:
Just curious, why do you think the SK 2.3 is bad? I haven't take mine out on the trail yet. But they can't be worse than the Python Airlites I've been using?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree. These tires are good for nothing but a thrill ride because they are scarey as hell to ride. Squirly and unpredicitable.

Tubedriver said:
The Speed King 2.3 are about the worst tire I have ever used. :nono:

The Race King 2.2 are about the best tire I have ever used. :thumbsup:
r

·
Ride and Smile suckas
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tubedriver are you out west? I am in New England with wet, mud, rocky climbs, wet roots (no tires are good on wet roots) is this where you are running them?
Do you run them tubeless?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Take a look at the cornering knobs. See the VERY wide spacing on the cornering knobs? When lean into corner you will fall because there will be no traction at all. This will happen every time you lean aggressively into a corner.

For a 2.3, the Speed King has surprisingly little cushion, it feels like a 2.1 or 2.0 in terms of trail harshness.

Straight ahead traction is just "OK" .

The Speed King is lightweight but it is not worth it.

Report card for Speed King

cornering traction: F
straight line traction: C+
comfort: C
rolling speed: B
weight: A
durability: C

I have always ridden virtually nothing else but Continentals for the last 2 decades (Explorer Pro, Vertical Pro, MK, SK, RK) but Continental dropped the ball on the Speed King.

The Race King 2.2 on the other hand is a superb tire.

Report card for Race King 2.2 Supersonic

cornering traction: A+
straight line traction: B+
comfort: A
rolling speed: A
weight: A-
durability: C+

CupOfJava said:
Just curious, why do you think the SK 2.3 is bad? I haven't take mine out on the trail yet. But they can't be worse than the Python Airlites I've been using?
g

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am down in MD so I ride similar stuff (probably just a little less wet). Currently running them with tubes at about 28-30 psi.

I originally got the Race King for a fast summer tire but liked it so much that I just keep using it. Perhaps the only real Achilles heel of the tire is wet leaves because the short knobs/tread depth slide with the leaves and do not grip the earth beneath the leaves very well. But overall the RK has been the best tire I have ever used.

I ride the ultra light Supersonic version and it has held up fine to some limited rock garden type riding (but I am a light 140lb rider) but you might consider the Protection version if you ride a lot of rocky areas.

Another good all season, east coast tire is the trusty old Continental Vertical Pro 2.3. The VP is what I will be using as soon as we get some snow down here.

mcstumpy said:
Tubedriver are you out west? I am in New England with wet, mud, rocky climbs, wet roots (no tires are good on wet roots) is this where you are running them?
Do you run them tubeless?

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
mcstumpy said:
Tubless anyone? Could just 25 lbs of pressure give you the grip and cushin that Tubedriver wasnt getting running them with tubes.
screw that, Im running tubes only, no tires talk about plush
plus if it snows you just pump them up and viola 4" tires
but.... now do I have to carry a spare tire in my camelback?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I tried the 2.1 Speed King Protection. The worst tire I have ever tried. The carcass is way to skinny for a 2.1 (45mm). You have to run it at high pressures. The grip from the plastic "Made in India" rubber is terrible.
I have not tried the 2.3's, but I was so disgusted with the 2.1 that my money will go another way.
The 2.2 Race King is in total contrast with the above mentioned tire. It might just be one of the best I have tried.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.