Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone has tried a beefed up 29er wheel on the front of their DH rig, kind of how they do it in Motocross with the 21" in front and 18/19" in the rear??

Obviously it would change your head angle a few degrees, and you'd have to have a clearance forgiving fork.

Post some pics or comments....

·
StraightOuttaCompton
3,145 Posts
there aren't enough advantages to do it. Other than rolling over stuff, i can't think of one advantage. But if you are having hard times rolling over rocks, roots, etc., then go faster.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
matthew4president said:
i saw a while back on ridemonkey some dude dremeled his fox forty to fit a 29er wheel.what a retard he ruined a 1600$ fork so he could have more rotational weight and worse turning.
He also took 26th in Pro on a home built carbon DH bike at angle fire. He's also played with numerous setups for gearbox bikes, some of which are being used now days (although I'm not claiming he's the sole originator). The dude is a pioneer, a super nice guy, and there's no need to sh!t talk him.

I'm not advocating everybody use a 29er wheel, but there are advantages and disadvantages. But seriously, if you don't believe me, why don't you go back to riding your 24 inch 2001 huck bike.

Why are you so incredibly against things you don't understand? My god...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know crazy idea's have never proved to possibly work, right? Like who in their right mind would put two shocks on the rear? That type of thinking would never lead to any innovations....

If a benifit is "going over things" faster and more easily, who in their right mind looking to go faster and improve their sport would not try it. Props to the industry pioneers and those who are trying to think outside the box.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Djponee said:
there aren't enough advantages to do it. Other than rolling over stuff, i can't think of one advantage. But if you are having hard times rolling over rocks, roots, etc., then go faster.
What about larger contact patch and increased traction? I guess if you're having trouble cornering you should go faster. :rolleyes:

Seems like people are pretty quick to bash ideas they haven't really thought about with any sort of depth.

Here's Alex (aka BCD) on his 29er homebuilt carbon bike. What a dirt roadie. His wheel size has no inherent advantages and carbon should never be used on a downhill bike, amiriteguys?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nouseforaname said:
Didn't BCD play with this? 29er DH bikes.
Yep, looks that way: http://bcdracing.com/psycho-billy-cadillac/inedible.htm

I think that a 29 on the front is so valid, I'll make a prediction that in a few years, most DH rigs will have 29" fronts. The physics all support it, and the common sense aspect makes sense too.

I would be willing to say that the industry is not jumping all over it right now, because they need to get the design, R&D and tooling built up to make it happen. I bet they are doing a ton of in house testing though. Test it out on the cyclocross and xc people, see where problems lie, and integrate it into the rest within 3-5 years.

Oh, and a larger brake rotor would also make sense to arise from the industry. 9-10 inch seems huge, but would make sense with a larger wheel/tire.

Does anyone make a beefy 29" front w/ 20mm?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
E_braker said:
Yep, looks that way: http://bcdracing.com/psycho-billy-cadillac/inedible.htm

I think that a 29 on the front is so valid, I'll make a prediction that in a few years, most DH rigs will have 29" fronts. The physics all support it, and the common sense aspect makes sense too.

I would be willing to say that the industry is not jumping all over it right now, because they need to get the design, R&D and tooling built up to make it happen. I bet they are doing a ton of in house testing though. Test it out on the cyclocross and xc people, see where problems lie, and integrate it into the rest within 3-5 years.

Oh, and a larger brake rotor would also make sense to arise from the industry. 9-10 inch seems huge, but would make sense with a larger wheel/tire.

Does anyone make a beefy 29" front w/ 20mm?
You could. Lace up a 29er rim to a 20mm hub.

Anyway, there are disadvantages - wheel's aren't as stiff, they weigh more, and a bigger wheel is gonna need a bigger tire (more rotational weight). Changing the wheel's direction is harder as well. Really digging the bike over in corners is harder, and sizing is more difficult. I don't know if it's gonna sweep the industry, since strength and weight are quite significant, and its tough to sell bikes when sizing is extremely specific (with mtb's anyway, its why you see so many companies that sell a "small" and a "large" size for their DH bikes).

I don't think its a dumb idea, its just not right for the trails I ride and the cost is prohibitive for now. I'd like to ride one though!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.