Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Nixon Elite with rapid travel wind down and need to take it apart to get a stiffer spring in there but I'm not sure how to get it apart.There's a 28mm hex head on top of the left leg that I'm not sure if t needs to come off for disassembly.

I tried to download the tech manual from Manitou's site but its not working.

Any help out there?

·
All show all the time
60 Posts
Tree said:
I have the Nixon Elite with rapid travel wind down and need to take it apart to get a stiffer spring in there but I'm not sure how to get it apart.There's a 28mm hex head on top of the left leg that I'm not sure if t needs to come off for disassembly.

I tried to download the tech manual from Manitou's site but its not working.

Any help out there?
I had a Nixon Elite back in September just when they first came out (It got sent back, long story). I needed to take the cap off the under the travel adjuster to check/change the spring. I ended up making (modifying) a tool to do this. A standard 28mm socket won't fit on there, because they are too thick, and the size seems to be a little off anyway. I ended up taking a 28mm socket, and grinding the outside of it down to make it thinner walled so it would fit in the crown, and I also had to round out some of the points on the inside to fit the shape of the hex cap. It was a lot of work, and I ended up not keeping the fork anyway. You might want to call Manitou and ask them if they sell a special tool to get at that cap.

Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.