Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is creaking after sub 200miles. I'd love to keep the bottom bracket and simply replace the bearings with something better.

Does anyone know if Race Face uses a 6806 bearing?
How hard was it to pull the original bearings and press in new ones?

tips or advice would be helpful

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
The bearing size is going to be dependent on what type of bb you're using.

I never even used my bb92. I installed it and noted that the bearings were notchy, a sign of overcompression. Pressed them out, spun smooth. Put in a Wheels Mfg, spins perfectly. They aren't hard to get out of the shell.

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
IMHO for all the efforts of trying to do that, BBs are cheap enough to buy a new one. But make sure to get everything tightened to spec (or close to it). Hell that mileage if bike hasn't been submerged or sitting for years, the bb might be under warranty.

That said, don't just go beating things with a hammer, won't be hard to do. I haven't done it on this specific BB but I've done it on others and was rather easy, really not in there that tight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Magically Delicious
11,882 Posts
Mine is creaking after sub 200miles. I'd love to keep the bottom bracket and simply replace the bearings with something better.

Does anyone know if Race Face uses a 6806 bearing?
How hard was it to pull the original bearings and press in new ones?
Why do you believe that you've isolated this noise to your BB? I doubt that's your noise. This is not a pressed BB.

Pop a crank arm off and see what bearing that you have. It only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely BB noise, was easy to isolate. Agree that checking bearing size is easy. From my reading certain BB cups make pressing bearings in and out easy while others can mangle the cups. So was really looking for first hand experience

·
Magically Delicious
11,882 Posts
Carefully pop the bearing seal, clean (if necessary) inspect the bearings and lubricate with your prefered grease. Reassemble, torque in accordance with specifications and go ride.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
^what he said if you want to service the cartridge bearing.

Enduro should have bearings if you want to replace the bearings and reuse the cups. Any shop should be able to pop the cartridge out and put a new one in the cup. I have one side of an XType BB with a bearing intended for a Trek Madone and another BB with a set of enduro bearings.

·
Magically Delicious
11,882 Posts
How does one service sealed cartridge bearings (besides replacing them)
Carmine Automotive wheel system Alloy wheel Synthetic rubber Tread

30 mm BSA Wheels Manufacturing BB with bearing shown.

These photos are from a VPP Suspension sealed bearing service, but the task is identical to the bottom bracket sealed bearings, or most any other sealed bearing whether hubs or whatever.

Colorfulness Aluminum can Photography Close-up Metal
String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Black Guitar accessory Material property
Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Carmine Black Material property

Carefully remove the silicone coated, thin metal seal and be careful to not damage it. I use some curved, spoon-like dental tools to slip under the seal and gently lift it from the bearing.

Metal Carbon Circle Input device Leather
Finger Colorfulness Nail Cameras & optics Photography

If necessary, clean bearings, inspect and prepare to lube.

Jewellery Metal Material property Body jewelry Silver
Technology Carmine Close-up Bicycle accessory Wire

Work grease of your preference into the bearings. Carefully reinstall the bearing seal smoothly and evenly to prevent damage.

Note:If you seek lower rotational friction from your BB or hub bearings, you will not want to full-pack your bearings like shown here. These are pivot bearings that see minimal rotational movement and I full-pack them. Choice of grease is another consideration depending on your objectives (protection or efficiency, or combination of both).

There are a few more bearing protection tricks incorporated into reassembly, but maybe later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.