Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between these two bikes. I was able to ride a 17" monocog flight 29 around a parking lot and liked it. But, I am also interested in the Haro Mary. I can't find a LBS with this in stock though. Has anyone seen this and the flight and what is your opinion of the two? BTW: the bike shop selling the monocog was trying to sell me a 9er SIR because he thinks the EBB is a better way to adjust the chain tension. I can't afford the 9er, but the Mary has the EBB and fits my budget.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
a buddy of mine has a haro, it's a beautiful bike, very similar construction to teh regular monocog (i've never seen a flight), but nicer looking FWIW.

i personally hate the EBB, and much prefer sliders or track ends for adjusting tension. i run an inbred and it's also a fantastic bike for the price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The shop near me has the Haro Mary. It's very nice looking and though I haven't ridden it, it seems pretty solid.

A lot of the EBB choice has to do with disc brakes. With an EBB you can have vertical drops and don't have to reallign the rear disc brake everytime you change a flat, which might be why the shop guy thinks it's a superior tension method. There's another thread about EBB on Gary Fisher Rig that talks about some of the problems with EBB up right now though that might provide you some insight on that problem.

There was also a thread a week or two ago where another guy was trying to deicde between the same two bikes you're considering, you might do a search and take a look at the comments in that thread. Personally, I think you can't go wrong either way you go.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Seen both, have a couple of friends with Flights and they love'em. personally i dig the Mary, just a really Pretty bike, my local shop has one, and that thing catches my eye everytime, don't care for the geared version. like it was said earlier, don't think you can go wrong either way. good luck in your decision making

here's one of the guys Flights Link

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've seen and ridden them both. I personally like the Haro Mary S/S since I think they got the whole geometry thing spot-on.

I would "go out of my way" to ride a Haro Mary S/S if at all possible (even if I had to drive 100 miles to find one) - I think you'll make up your mind pretty quickly when you see it in person :thumbsup:

·
high plains drifter
388 Posts
last weekend

I saw one close up on the car rack unloading at the trail head and that was the closest I got to it the rest of the ride usually a 1/4 mile ahead the hole ride.was it the rider or the bike ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
haro and RL's geos are very close. i just found out that i cant fit the 17 (too much post needed) and the 19 might be just too long. kinda feels like the 18vs20 deal on the haro. but the haro might give me the seattube length i need. but i cant ignore the shorter toptube on the monkey which i like (22.5ish vsv 23 and change)

R

·
Registered
215 Posts
I test-rode the Flight 29er yesterday, and walked away extremely impressed. Really nice spec, a great tubeset, surprisingly light -- I honestly can't find anything about it that's questionable --*except* the sliding rear dropout. It looks like a solid and sensible solution to getting the rear wheel off and on and keeping the chain tension right, but there's something about those tiny bolt heads that just scare me. But I don't like EBBs, either, so I *think* I'm going to get a non-Flight MC 29er, put a disc on the front, and leave the rear alone with its track ends and V-brakes. Then I'll upgrade parts as things break.

I saw a Haro Mary at a different shop last week, but didn't get a chance ride it. Love the bars, not so much the EBB.

·
Got Mojo?
1,190 Posts
get the haro, save some Benjamins

rocky_taco said:
I am also interested in the Haro Mary. I can't find a LBS with this in stock though. Has anyone seen this and the flight and what is your opinion of the two? BTW: the bike shop selling the monocog was trying to sell me a 9er SIR because he thinks the EBB is a better way to adjust the chain tension. I can't afford the 9er, but the Mary has the EBB and fits my budget.
I rode with a couple of guys last month. One dude had just got his Haro Mary SS, another was on his SIR 9.

I am convinced they are the same frame.... The folks in the Niner section were not too happy about the comparison..

·
Registered
123 Posts
hey

We sell both bikes, I like the Mary a bit better....for the money. Nice frame, nice specs and if you like you can run a derailur. Itg has a removeable derailur tab. Go with the EBB, easy to fix a flat with out having to adjust a remove the brake and the frame is better aligned.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My opinion would change based on your size and weight.

over 200 lbs? the mary.
why? The paragon sliders WILL move.

if you are under 200 lbs. the flight rules... the tubeset is snappy and responsive and will spring just enough to make it really fun.

The RL also has an advantage in wet/mucky/nasty conditions as the ebb can fill up with junk and creak.

all in all you can't beat either of them for the price.

i've ridden both. me? i'm a fat kid so the haro works out better for me.

The jamis exile SS is also pretty nice, well aside from the hydros.

·
Got Twins?
297 Posts
Go with Mary...

rocky_taco said:
I'm trying to decide between these two bikes. I was able to ride a 17" monocog flight 29 around a parking lot and liked it. But, I am also interested in the Haro Mary. I can't find a LBS with this in stock though. Has anyone seen this and the flight and what is your opinion of the two? BTW: the bike shop selling the monocog was trying to sell me a 9er SIR because he thinks the EBB is a better way to adjust the chain tension. I can't afford the 9er, but the Mary has the EBB and fits my budget.
We've got three riders on Mary SS's and they love them. Think of the Mary's as a less expensive cousin to the Niner SIR9. You just get a complete bike. Our team shop carries the Mary's, if you're close, you may want to make the drive in. See the shop site in my signature.
Don't have experience with the Flight. I hope they swapped out the headset from the Monocog 29 bikes. Not to start a flame war or anything, just from what I read (on MTBR.com 29er board) and heard the mechanics in my shop comment on when the bikes came back or were built up.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.