Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea just go to your local Dicks Sporting Goods. It's a Front Suspension Mountain Bike 24 Speed and its Ant-Freeze green. They intrduced the Thruster 29er for 2009 and it has disc brakes and SRAM components. For a newbie, this might be the way to go. Im not sure what type of warranty it has or if they sell another upgraded model. Kents been around for a while but an Aluminum frame, suspension fork, and disc brakes for $399 its worth a look see. I wounder how it rides and handles? A person could up grade the parts as they break. Or just get a better bike to start with. What do you think?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Ya mean this rig????

As seen at 2007's Interbike (with slightly different component spec)

I think there has been another appearance of this bike in a department store previous to this. (I recall posting this pic to another thread)

Funny that they are still using that green color after all this time!

·
Administrator
11,987 Posts
The Thruster 29er 29-in men's mountain bike features large wheels for a greater surface area over any terrain for improved action. It's constructed around a lightweight 6061 aluminum frame, with SRAM X-4 shifters and derailleurs for lightning-fast and accurate shifting through all 24 speeds.

Features

Benefits

• Bike Type: Mountain Bike Are super versatile, you can ride them in the dirt or ride them on the pavement.
• Bike Frame Material: Aluminum - A light material that offers you a responsive ride.
• Type of Shifter: SRAM X-4
• Front Brake: Pro Max Mechanical Disc - Powerful stopping that is easy to control, with no heat transfer to rims. These brakes will give you great braking even in muddy conditions.
• Rear Brake: Pro Max Mechanical Disc
• Fork Type: Zoomer 29er
• Handle Bars: Riser - Raises the handle bar position for more comfort and better control.
• Rims: Alloy - Made from aluminum-alloy which is very strong and light. Gives you a better braking surface that will not rust.

Key Specs:

• Bike Gender: Men's
• Bike Wheel Size: 29 inches
• Wheel Width: 2.1 inches
• Number of Gear Speeds: 24 Speed
• Seat Post: Alloy
• Some Assembly Required : Yes

Country Of Origin : China
classic. Glad they clarified that the rims won't rust. I was worried about that with my Salsa rims. Gonna pick me up one of these now that I know its rims are rustproof. Exactly the kind of things that other manufacturers neglect to mention in their ad copy.

and improved action! I am all about improving my action, specifically with bobcat like advances.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Why B***H?

Just another barrier broken by the 29" wheel on its way towards mainstream acceptance, 10 years later. So what if it is as much of a pos as all the other $399 bikes? It should fit the bill perfectly for the cheapskate crowd, of which there are plenty out there. Most bikes of this caliber barely ever make it out of the garage anyway, and if they do pavement and bike paths will be the terrain of choice and it will work well enough for that purpose. When and if the idea of riding a bike takes hold with the buyer of a Kent then the chances of upgrading and staying with 29" wheels will be high, and then you all will have a willing audience to dump your cast offs on.

·
Registered
268 Posts
AW_ said:
Is it really called THE THRUSTER???

Man.. I thought Huffy had the best names... Swampwater, Sledgehammer, etc... but THE THRUSTER is in a whole other category!!!!
... with a ZOOMER fork.

I don't really care if the market is flooded with cheap 29ers. What I find humorous is the description of the thing. I know throwing around meaningless terms is not unique to the Thruster or restricted to cheap bikes. At least this one looks like a mountain bike instead of a ride-in-the-park hybrid grandma bike relabeled as a 29er mountain bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Zion Rasta said:
Obviously you guys are not the target customer. Joe the plumber is....

That $399 bike will overwhelm a beginner.
I don't think Joe the plumber can afford a bicycle. What-with all domestic residential plumbing work being sent to the Indian sub-continent to be done by non-union five year old plumbers. All said, I think I'd still buy a Redline or Motobecane if I was shopping in that range...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.