Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to get the scoop on the trails and water situation. I NEED to ride this weekend. Not sure if the local situation NE CT is the same other places in CT.

John

·
Registered
391 Posts
My wife is volunteering for the LPGA open. She said that is it a total bust between the rain and fog. She said the only action is in the sponsors tents where they open the bars at 11 am. With nothing to do except drink I would be careful on the drive or in town. Sounds like a good time to hit Middletown and Portsmouth. I've been in Brazil for the last 10 days so it sounds like I haven't been missing much in the way of cycling. I guess Big River Area is a swamp.
Chris

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
So I suppose I was a little premature with the "Stupid Mud" thread. The only place I've been riding in the last two weeks has rails to trails--lame, but relatively mud free.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Case

Just got back from Case, and the top is certainly dry enough to ride. Some of the trails are messy from all the debris washed down. I would still keep clear of the bottom trails--especially Coups. And it is more buggy than ever; the mosquitos pay no attention to DEET anymore.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Guyechka said:
Just got back from Case, and the top is certainly dry enough to ride. Some of the trails are messy from all the debris washed down. I would still keep clear of the bottom trails--especially Coups. And it is more buggy than ever; the mosquitos pay no attention to DEET anymore.
Thanks, I think we're going to hit Middlesex on Sunday AM with the guys (you're welcomed to join if you would like), maybe Shenipsit (Soapstone) with the wife on Saturday.

John

·
In the rear with the gear
494 Posts
Rode Trumbull this morning and it was awesome. A little muddy at times, especially near the river but what do you expect. All the rollers are pretty dry though.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Snip...

Just got back from a short loop at the Snip. All the usual wet spots are wet and muddy, but not bad at all. The remaining 99% that was not muddy was firm and tacky... Nice. We rode mostly off by the Hopkins Road side. I think the stuff right around Soapstone would be a mess, as that area, especially the northern side, remains wet for a long time.

John

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guyechka said:
I rode up at Mashamoquet on Friday night, one section of trail was all wet and kinda yuck but still rideable. Yesterday went out to Yawgoo in Exeter, RI trails were dry, some areas were a little wet, but not bad at all. I think things are finally drying out. ::prays to the rain gods to cool it for a while::

OMG!!!! You are NOT kidding about the mosquitoes!!! You could play connect the dots with the amount I got over the weekend. Two types of bug spray - they would stay away for a little while but once the sweat broke the bug spray was useless. I'm going to invest in some water/sweat proof stuff if they have it.

·
ZEN RIDER!
950 Posts
Greyville

I rode Greyville Friday afternoon.
It was good considering the amount of rain we have had.
The ledges were fine, but the low land marsh/swamp was a little wet still.
Wouldn't be bad if the bridging was not in such a state of disrepair. Time to break out the hammer & nails agian. Plus I've been meaning to repair the large log over, & by repair I mean tear it it down & start over.

I use, by use I mean borrow from my sisters without thier knowing, a natural bug/fly spray for horses. You can dose yourself really good & it smells good. No chemical aroma at all. Plus it keeps the damn horse flys away.

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
Trail Mynx, I didn't know there is riding at Yawgoo. I rode around there once but couldn't find anything. Any tips, suggestions etc. where to look? Even if there's not a lot there I'd still like to check it out.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One more report...

I think its safe to say that riding in CT is back on for the foreseeable future. We did Middlesex yesterday, with the exception of two small spots near the pond, all was in excellent condition.

Going to hit Snip tomorrow again with the guys for a longer loop.

John

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Those bridges are in a terrible state. I would like to give you a hand at repair. Hopefully we can hook up schedule wise, can be tough especially during the summer. Shoot me an email direct: MDEnvEngr at hotmail dot com.

Bob

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cobretti said:
Trail Mynx, I didn't know there is riding at Yawgoo. I rode around there once but couldn't find anything. Any tips, suggestions etc. where to look? Even if there's not a lot there I'd still like to check it out.
A vast majority of the "ride" was more hiking and lugging my bike (with a lil help from my friends - gotta love the beetles) over rocks and things. I guess there are some "easier" trails there as well. A friend of mine took us there and showed my other friend and I some trails. I guess the "easier" trails are down the road a ways. If you go down the main road to the parking area on the right (go past all the scouting areas) there is a trail head there? What we did on Sunday was more of a hiking trail. The trail around the back of the lake was barely wide enough to WALK through, let alone drag/push/pull a bike along with you. I'm going to venture a guess that the other trail was more biker friendly. There was a group of bikers in that parking area on our return. We gave a friendly nod/hi as we rode past sweaty, spent, bloody and bitten. It was a fun time though!

I wish I had more info for you, but it was my first time there. Have you tried Arcadia? You can literally get lost in there :p Make sure you bring some sort of gps, compass, etc.

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
Trail Mynx, Thanks for the info. It sounds kind of interesting. At least I'll have a starting point next time I go there. As for Arcadia, no I havent been, but I read on rinemba.org that there will be lead rides starting this sun. for the next month or so I believe. I'm going this coming sun for starters. Could be a good chance to learn some of the trails. If you don't have plans yet keep it in mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.