Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the one. Listed on Dale's map its not recommended. But has the Parks Dept. being cleaning that one like Willow Canyon?

Thinking of riding Goatcamp on Monday. Any Flagstaff or Sedona riders want to catch a ride?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've actually hiked Ford Canyon (before buying a MTB)......it's a fun hike.

The "problem" for mountain bikes is the fact that, in spots, you're scambling up boulders and climbing up rocks with a couple of sheer drop offs (if I remember correctly). Like I said, it's a pretty rewarding hike. A lot of the trail near the top also takes place in the wash itself.....you get to see what the water does to the rock and why they call it White Tanks.

Just in case you're not convinced, they have a special message: HAZARDOUS SECTION Not recommended for equestrions and mountain bikers. Hikers must use caution.

You know, if they tell HIKERS to use caution.....

They also have a sign on the trail (not at the begining but when you hit this section) that says the same thing. It's actually ridable up to the sign...which is before you really start heading up the canyon.

There is no way to "clean up" the trail to riding standards without completely rerouting it. But then again, why would anyone want to reroute such a great hike?

Just my opinion.

Then again......try it and give us a ride report.....

·
Registered
127 Posts
I hiked it 3 weeks ago as I have been wondering the same thing myself,There is a lot of trail sanitation going on,like the bottom of willow canyon..I like to ride stuff that I have to walk or is hard to ride to chalenge myself.
I have to say that Ford canyon can not be ridden.hike it and see for yourself te best couldnt do it.

·
Rhino
567 Posts
Chalkpaw said:
You know the one. Listed on Dale's map its not recommended. But has the Parks Dept. being cleaning that one like Willow Canyon?

Thinking of riding Goatcamp on Monday. Any Flagstaff or Sedona riders want to catch a ride?
I've been asking this question for years with no actual biker answer. Well I rode it 2 weeks ago from Goat Camp down. It took me over 4 hours to ride/hike Ford Canyon. I know you don't know my skill or trail experience, but it's unrideable for several miles.
Rhino

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
urbanseeds said:
I've been asking this question for years with no actual biker answer. Well I rode it 2 weeks ago from Goat Camp down. It took me over 4 hours to ride/hike Ford Canyon. I know you don't know my skill or trail experience, but it's unrideable for several miles.
Rhino
Yup, it is a pain....But I did in fact write about it a few years back in regards to being an actual bike answer. ;-)
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2268642&postcount=7

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.