Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd ask here, since so many folks seem to have cartop cargo boxes... My Yakima has a smallish crack in the lid of the box along one edge, maybe 3-4 inches long. I'm not terribly worried about it, but I'd like to prevent it from spreading. Has anyone tried to repair a box? I was thinking of at least slapping some ducttape on the inside of the box, you know, because ducttape fixes everything...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Go to a bodyshop supply store. (a real one), There you'll find this "magic" kit, unfortunatly I don't remember the name of it at the moment.- Anyway, it's a little bottle of polyester powder & some "cryo"-resin (an awful lot like superglue, but it's not). SUPER easy to use. You "v" the crack with a grinder wheel (a dremel will work) put the powder in the crack, and then drip the "resin" over that. It'll fizz, some white smoke will puff out and 45sec later it's done. Much nicer to use (& faster) than a traditional fiberglas repair kit.

If you just want to stop the crack from spreading - take a drill with a 1/8" bit, and drill a hole at each end of the crack - that will prevent the crack from "traveling". The main problem here is the hole has to be at the end of the crack & the end of the crack is further along than you think it is. Miss the end & the crack will just continue along it's merry way.

I recomend fixing it - that poly/cryo kit makes too easy not too.

·
Carpe Noctem
311 Posts
The cryo resin he mentions are also known as cyanoacrylate and can also be found easily at hobby shops, Zap is probably the most common brand, Look for the "thin" variety. They should have filler powders too but if you feel cheap you can also use baking soda in a pinch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts