Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having enormously wide feet and growing frustrated with Lake not making a extra wide beefy enduro style shoe Im thinking of trying to make a DH/enduro type shoe that has room for a cleat...

Got some shoe making books and am going to make a last out of my foot shape but was wondering about material for the upper + lower...

Is this crazy? Closest custom mtb shoe I've found was 1200$ and had BOA's on the side that I'd rip off immediately. Figured I could spend that money on maybe trying something myself.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
having enormously wide feet and growing frustrated with Lake not making a extra wide beefy enduro style shoe Im thinking of trying to make a DH/enduro type shoe that has room for a cleat...

Got some shoe making books and am going to make a last out of my foot shape but was wondering about material for the upper + lower...

Is this crazy? Closest custom mtb shoe I've found was 1200$ and had BOA's on the side that I'd rip off immediately. Figured I could spend that money on maybe trying something myself.
Good luck, i give you props for trying this! If successful you can start making them for people for $1000. I kind if have a feeling the chances are high that you will become to understand why theyre $1200 though.
Hard to beat real leather for shoe uppers. They break in and form to your shape.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
having enormously wide feet and growing frustrated...
I'm with you! My feet aren't enormously wide, but they are wide. It seems the MTB shoe industry assumes everyone has long narrow petite feet and like shoes that look like Aladdin slippers. My only option has been shoes that are too long in order to get the width I need. The best ever shoe in my opinion were Cannondale Roams. Wide, tough, with great hike a bike tread. Perfect enduro shoes. They are long since out of production. I bought 3 pair when I heard they were discontinued years ago. On on my last pair and they are on their last leg (foot?). I can't find anything that comes close to fit or function.

I've never thought of making a shoe from scratch as you suggest. But I have toyed with the idea of modifying an existing hiking shoe and adding a stiffer soul liner and SPD's to them.

Original Roams. Notice the width.

Maybe modify something like these? Might be too much work with little, if any, success.

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
Get a shoe stretcher. Do a quick internet search and you will find plenty for sale.

Get the shoes a little wet (they don't need to be soaked) and stretch each shoe for a few hours. A big difference in width at the forefoot can be made.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,082 Posts
Get a shoe stretcher. Do a quick internet search and you will find plenty for sale.

Get the shoes a little wet (they don't need to be soaked) and stretch each shoe for a few hours. A big difference in width at the forefoot can be made.
Thanks for the tip, I often have problems because besides wide feet my left one is bigger so I will look into the stretcher thing.

I wear Lake MX85DARK which fit me pretty good.

OP could you not just modify a regular fitting shoe like that into what you need instead of starting from scratch?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Shoes are fully stretched and comfy but my wide foot hangs over the outside of the sole which over time aggravates my IT band. Im looking for more sole support.

Thanks for the encouragement tho, gonna try to dissect some old shoes and see whats up inside em while I wait for the foot molding stuff to show up...

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Back in the day...early to mid 80's, we used to use soccer or football cleats. We would grind down some of the cleats and then add tee nuts under the sole so we could mount cleats( toeclip cleats).
At that time there weren't any aggressive mtb shoes available. Some people used road shoes also.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,322 Posts
this vid has most of what you need for noob info in building footwear

take what works ignore what won't

Reactions: phazedalx

·
Registered
750 Posts
Tangent topic. I have wide feet. Lakes wides are better than most I have tried. On a whim I ordered a pair of wide Shimano ME7s. Turned out to be more roomy than my wide lakes. had them for 5 months. Great shoe so far. Might be worth checking out.

Reactions: acer66

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
3,080 Posts
Years ago 5.10 re-sole kits used to be available and Ive seen a few sole changeups that always interested me. I would contact Unparallel Sports to see what they would charge to do a resole of your favorite shoe that fits or purchase the resole kit yourself. Their rubber is the closest thing to 5.10 Ive come across and for good reason if you read into their history (ex 5.10 crew).

check it out here: Rubber & Wholesale Orders | Unparallel Sports

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.