Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed fat bike skis on your bike?

does it work in the snow? I would like to know some feedbacks.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
I have ridden them. I worked for the trail company that has gone into production of them. The ski tracks so much better than a tire on snow it's not even comparable. It gives the bike such preferable handling characteristics to a front tire, offering a predictable over steer vs. the front tire pushing understeer which is lame and not fun. A fat ski bike is a drift machine. It is what folks have been trying to convince me fat biking is, but isn't.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the website shows the product isn't on sale yet. it looks very promising. I want to buy it when it is completed.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
He just stopped by my house to drop off some tools. I asked him where he's at. He's still in development of the tortion springs and has won a grant to help with engineering. Soon.

·
Banned
445 Posts
Meh... the video of the guy pushing his fatbike up the hill to come down looked lame. I'd just assume hike up the same hill with my snowboard and then come back down.

The video of the guy following the XC ski trail was more impressive, the front end floated really well but the rear tire broke through at the end and it looked like he was getting stuck. I'd think the set up would be kind of maddening. You constantly be sinking down at the rear wheel so you'd think you could float but couldn't. Might as well just snowshoe or XC ski. I've not really found my front tire to be my limitation but rather my rear tire. You'd also lose the all terrain nature of your bike. Riding on ice would suck with that ski. You wouldn't be able to ride from the snow out onto the beaches during the winter and in the spring when you are crossing gravel and pavement the ski would suck as well.

The ski needs a more secure clamping mechanism to the fork. Looks like the brake mount to the only thing preventing it from rotating and guys have broke off the brake mounts in the early days of snowbikes. Those are dirt bikes with a ski & track kit. They work pretty well in powder snow.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D1c6W8xbF_s

·
Registered
544 Posts
It would be good to have a much wider ski that can quickly clip over the front tire and yet be stable. Maybe carry the ski in a pack for the climbs. So you could switch back and forth climbing like a bike and descending like a snowbike. If it were to catch on probably need a dedicated back tire with a serious paddle pattern. Maybe that will be the next big thing.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It would be good to have a much wider ski that can quickly clip over the front tire and yet be stable. Maybe carry the ski in a pack for the climbs. So you could switch back and forth climbing like a bike and descending like a snowbike. If it were to catch on probably need a dedicated back tire with a serious paddle pattern. Maybe that will be the next big thing.
There is that. Its a ski, and has a saddle the tire sandwiches into. Can be taken off and strapped to a pack.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
The ski is attached to the drop outs. Having ridden both, the ski is a vast improvement over a tire on snow. You are right about versatility. Personally, I think fat bikes are lame, but the ski made it fun on snow. The electric pedal assist made it even more like an actual mtb experience since fat bikes are such pigs.

·
Banned
445 Posts
The ski is attached to the drop outs. Having ridden both, the ski is a vast improvement over a tire on snow. You are right about versatility. Personally, I think fat bikes are lame, but the ski made it fun on snow. The electric pedal assist made it even more like an actual mtb experience since fat bikes are such pigs.
Weird comment to make on a fatbike forum. I can say I've never, ever pined over owning an electrically powered fatbike equipped with a ski. The pedal powered version that was posted looked like a contraption. What is the point of this set up? It can't float any better over snow than a normal fatbike because the rear tire limits the floatation and it sank in just the same as a normal fatbike. It would need a rear track to balance out the floatation ability of the front and it would be so slow and heavy it would be no fun to ride or be practical. A normal fatbike could have gone down the same set up groomed trails
and then been ridden home over rocks, grass, pavement etc. it looked extremely slow and clumsy in the packed powder snow and was only good for going downhill which puts it in the same category as downhill skis or a snowboard.

Riding something with electrical assist isn't true biking IMO. Also riding a hardtail that that weighs 50 some pounds greatly limits how much fun a guy can have on the trail. I'd rather buy one of these if I wanted to ride an electric bike.
Zero FX Electric Motorcycle || ZERO MOTORCYCLES

Reactions: Velobike

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Weird comment to make on a fatbike forum. I can say I've never, ever pined over owning an electrically powered fatbike equipped with a ski. The pedal powered version that was posted looked like a contraption. What is the point of this set up? It can't float any better over snow than a normal fatbike because the rear tire limits the floatation and it sank in just the same as a normal fatbike. It would need a rear track to balance out the floatation ability of the front and it would be so slow and heavy it would be no fun to ride or be practical. A normal fatbike could have gone down the same set up groomed trails
and then been ridden home over rocks, grass, pavement etc. it looked extremely slow and clumsy in the packed powder snow and was only good for going downhill which puts it in the same category as downhill skis or a snowboard.

Riding something with electrical assist isn't true biking IMO. Also riding a hardtail that that weighs 50 some pounds greatly limits how much fun a guy can have on the trail. I'd rather buy one of these if I wanted to ride an electric bike.
Zero FX Electric Motorcycle || ZERO MOTORCYCLES
Well, I have a job as a groomer and was looking around for info on that topic. I ski. I bike in the summer on dirt. I have ridden fat bikes. The great failing is the understeer. Nothing feels shittier than pushing your front tire around. On dirt or snow. Everyone tried to convince me how great fat biking was so I tried them. Then I tried this. Having ridden it, it is far superior to a front tire in terms of handling. For those of you who enjoy riding on snow, maybe you're interested, maybe not.

For you to extoll on the drawbacks is pretty silly since you've never used it. The ski does not affect climbing, and is way WAY more fun on the decent. I mean, it's fat biking and all, but even so I assume fun on the DH still counts.
If I were to ride a 40 something pound bike....I would put a motor on it. Hilarious you bring up weight as an issue in a Fat forum. The fact that I am not a fat groupie and still took the time to share Brook's product might be more of a testament to it's quality and performance than if some enamored fat-fan' psromotion of it. I'm sayin', I think fat bikes are a slow, boring, heavy, uninspiring version of biking. Utilitarian at best. BUT.....with the FatSki Bike....I see potential. Take it or leave it champ.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts