Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 karate monkey brand new Shimano drivetrain. Getting a noticable ticking noise at the cranks. It does it with chain on and off. The crank arm is in the same position everytime it does it but doesn't always make the noise in every rotation. I've removed all frame screws,seat post and back wheel with same results. Two different hope bb and no improvement. Does it upside down and right side up. Never dealt with this before. Any suggestions would be helpful. I've done some research and the only thing left that I can think of is that the frame might be cracked but don't see anything.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,797 Posts
Yes, switch pedals and check again.

It's also possible that it's the crankset. Spindle/crank interface? pedal interface?

Those are the next most obvious things to check.

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are so many options here for what it could be it does it without the pedals as well I forgot to mention that my apologies. But I'm not ruling out the cranks, if it was the cranks being that they're brand new what would I be looking for exactly?

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,797 Posts
There are so many options here for what it could be it does it without the pedals as well I forgot to mention that my apologies. But I'm not ruling out the cranks, if it was the cranks being that they're brand new what would I be looking for exactly?
Posting a couple pics of your setup would help.

What cranks, Shimano? The pedals inserts (if there are any) could be moving/loose, but if you tried spinning the cranks without the pedals on and it still made the noise than it's probably not the cause.

The spindle could be shifting where is mates with the crank arm if they're not bonded together perfectly. But I would expect you would only stress it enough to make a noise under load. Turning the cranks by hand would probably not create the noise.

Can you post a video?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Probably not much help but I have a Hope BB that ticks with my shimano cranks.... I've stripped out the bearings & serviced them & while it did stop for a short while, it came back again. Have you got a shimano BB you can install to see if it goes away?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.