Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had 2 03 frames both crack on the seat tube just below the weld. Im told that
the 04 frames are not doing this if true please post and let me know. I tore down my 03 team today and will drop it off at the LBS on monday. I talked to Bruce at IH on Friday and he said that they will replace it with the 04 frame this time. Bruce also said that the 04 frames are useing a thicker seat tube and that the welding process has been changed. Im looking forward to receiving the new frame being it has the new style control arm on it and I will be able to run a bigger tire.Hats off to Bruce in customer service and to Tod for being so infomative to us all. I have never had a problem reaching either one of them. Also one more question. is the shck bushing the same widthe on the 04 as the 03 so I am sure everything will bolt back on. any help please, I do delieve that the 04 frame will look good with all the 03 expert components on it witch was the first one purchased.

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Haggis said:
03 seatpost 27.2, 04 27.0mm. You will need a new post...
Haggis, are you sure that's not the other way around? My early '03 has a 27.0mm post. I was going to swap with one of my other bikes and I couldn't.

Kathy :^)

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Lucky said:
Haggis, are you sure that's not the other way around? My early '03 has a 27.0mm post.
You're correct -- '03 and '04 are both 27.0, but someone just recently posted they bought a "fluke" '04 with a 27.2.

I should mention that I'm still riding my original '03 frame -- all 200+ pounds of me -- with no cracks or any other problems to complain about. This bike has been nothing but good to me.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
fluke 04 hollowpoint replacment frame

Speedüb Nate said:
You're correct -- '03 and '04 are both 27.0, but someone just recently posted they bought a "fluke" '04 with a 27.2.

I should mention that I'm still riding my original '03 frame -- all 200+ pounds of me -- with no cracks or any other problems to complain about. This bike has been nothing but good to me.
uh, I guess that would be me. The seat tube on my 04 replacement frame has ID of 27.2 mm and a OD of 32.2mm. I did manage to get the 31.8mm front derailleur to bolt up OK. I'm very curious to hear if anybody else got 04 frames like mine.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
AZmtncycle said:
The seat tube on my 04 replacement frame has ID of 27.2 mm and a OD of 32.2mm.
Oh, didn't realize you had an out of spec OD as well. Does that make it a collector's item, like the stamp with the upside down airplane?

My sis bought an '04 maybe 6 weeks ago and we swapped seatpost on the spot (for one longer), and the 27.0 fit the bill. Just last week I was playing with seatposts on my '03 and again, 27.0 they were.

Hey, you didn't happen to notice if they accidentally welded a OnePointFive head tube on yours?!?

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
same sized head tube

Speedüb Nate said:
Oh, didn't realize you had an out of spec OD as well. Does that make it a collector's item, like the stamp with the upside down airplane?

My sis bought an '04 maybe 6 weeks ago and we swapped seatpost on the spot (for one longer), and the 27.0 fit the bill. Just last week I was playing with seatposts on my '03 and again, 27.0 they were.

Hey, you didn't happen to notice if they accidentally welded a OnePointFive head tube on yours?!?
Fortunately, it's the same 1 1/8" zero stack head tube. This weekend I pressed in the original headset from my 03. The rebuild process is going slow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts