Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dozer
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my ride last night, I had a flat tire. After fixing it, I rode about a mile or so but noticed the rear end of my MotoLite felt a little squirmy. At the next stop, my riding buddy noticed that the linkage bolt that connects the chain stay to the seat stay had worked itself almost entirely out!

Has this happened to anyone else? What on earth would cause it to work itself out? Would putting blue Loctite on the threads impede performance at all?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had this happen to my 09 FTM. I put loctite on it and made sure I did not get any on the bushing in the frame. Put it in the threads of the female nut, not on the threads of the male allen screw. I also put a little waterproof grease on the out side of the allen nut to keep things moving smooth. I'm not sure if this is OK for the bushing or not but I have not had any problems. just wipe down the pivot real good so the dirt wont stick to any grease that may have squeezed out.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Happend to mine once and a while. I suggest finding the torque specs on that bolt when you take it out for the loc-tite.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
yeahdog31 said:
During my ride last night, I had a flat tire. After fixing it, I rode about a mile or so but noticed the rear end of my MotoLite felt a little squirmy. At the next stop, my riding buddy noticed that the linkage bolt that connects the chain stay to the seat stay had worked itself almost entirely out!

Has this happened to anyone else? What on earth would cause it to work itself out? Would putting blue Loctite on the threads impede performance at all?
Yup, make sure you use some loctite and torque it to the proper specs.

·
Dozer
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. A little bit of preventative maintenance now is a lot better (and cheaper) than having the swingarm fall apart, break, and possibly wreck me.

Anyone have a good line on replacement bolts? The head on one of mine is stripped.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unfortunately the bolts and bushings are different for the FTM and Motolite. We do recommend using blue loctite on the threads to make sure the Horst Link bolts don't come loose.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Titus_Mikey.....help us Brothers Out

yeahdog31 said:
Thanks guys. A little bit of preventative maintenance now is a lot better (and cheaper) than having the swingarm fall apart, break, and possibly wreck me.

Anyone have a good line on replacement bolts? The head on one of mine is stripped.
Can you hook us up....

I've had the same problem two weeks ago but was able to make due with a bolt from the hardware store.

·
Dozer
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Motolite_Mofo said:
Can you hook us up....

I've had the same problem two weeks ago but was able to make due with a bolt from the hardware store.
Talk to BikerBob. He's sending me out some bolts pronto. :D

·
At Work
1,819 Posts
Check them periodically, found a loose bolt a few weeks ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts