Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If not, it would be cool if those of you running your bikes with a suspension corrected 26er fork or a custom designed non-suspension corrected rigid 29er fork could throw up a photo of your bikes.

I'd like to see how they impact geometry - especially on smaller sized frames, and even moreso on a small Karate Monkey -if anyone has gone that route on their Monkey.

Thanks.

Mark

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MMcG said:
...I'd like to see how they impact geometry - ... and even moreso on a small Karate Monkey -if anyone has gone that route on their Monkey.

Thanks.

Mark
A 26" fork on a KM would totally screw up the geometry. Steeper angles, lower BB.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Unless you get a shim to put on the fork to take up the difference. Steerer won't be made for it though. And the KM is a good 29" frame on which good forks fit, why bother?

Maybe on S sized 29"er it could make sense, but only when reach is on the short side for the rider. Shorter forks also increase reach, you know... a 30mm shorter fork (26" vs 29", give or take) will increase reach more than a full 2" bike size would.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay Shiggy - I gotcha.

So would a taller Niner fork actually help raise the bb a bit on my Karate Monkey?

If Surly ever makes a change to the frame, they should definitely raise the bb up a bit.

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
coconino

This Coconino has a planet X rigid sus corrected 26er fork, although last I saw this bike it had a new custom Vultutre fork cause he didn't like the tight clearance. The bike was built for it though...

-M

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
wolfy said:
This Coconino has a planet X rigid sus corrected 26er fork, although last I saw this bike it had a new custom Vultutre fork cause he didn't like the tight clearance. The bike was built for it though...

-M

Forget about the fork...tell us more about the bike and the seemingly custom rear rack.

B

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
Oh, so the thing about that rack is that I think it's custom. It's unpainted and brazed steel tubing. It's prety light. It mounts to a cool seat collar that has bolt threads for it. Pretty cool. I think Steve Garo made it too.

On a side note: those are comfy bikes. I've ridden the one pictured and another 26er. Stout, but comfy. Filets are cool looking too.

-M

·
2,856 Posts
MMcG said:
If not, it would be cool if those of you running your bikes with a suspension corrected 26er fork or a custom designed non-suspension corrected rigid 29er fork could throw up a photo of your bikes.

I'd like to see how they impact geometry - especially on smaller sized frames, and even moreso on a small Karate Monkey -if anyone has gone that route on their Monkey.

Thanks.

Mark
As requested.

Pace 26" corrected rigid fork (440mm) on a custom Kent Eriksen 29'er frame. Emphasis on custom of course because the frame geometry was built knowing that I would have that fork. Plenty of clearance!

And this is the guy that inspired me to use the 26" Pace;

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=177642&highlight=phil+wood+frame

Ed E

Attachments

·
2,856 Posts
Drewdane said:
Why do that? It's a sincere question, not a snide one.
In my case I wanted the Pace fork. They make two that I could use; a corrected 26" (440mm) and a corrected 29" (465mm). I did not want my bike suspension corrected. The clearance with the corrected 29'er Pace fork would have looked out of proportion and it's not a look I wanted. The 440mm fork works perfectly if you are going non-corrected on a 29'er.

Ed E

·
Registered
374 Posts
edemtbs said:
In my case I wanted the Pace fork. They make two that I could use; a corrected 26" (440mm) and a corrected 29" (465mm). I did not want my bike suspension corrected. The clearance with the corrected 29'er Pace fork would have looked out of proportion and it's not a look I wanted. The 440mm fork works perfectly if you are going non-corrected on a 29'er.

Ed E
Copy that exactly!

[offtopic]Ed, did you start a thread on your bike? looks gorgeous!

Looks like you've been trying different setups (the bars). What did you prefer and how are you riding it now??

[/offtopic]

JJ

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.