Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
That's ok I'll walk it...
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gearz said:
Hey Eric! :cool:
Where is this place? I've never heard of it.... Picture looks good though:thumbsup:
Gonna do that Tyee Ridge Loop again this year?:D
Yeah, I'll be doing Tyee again, but as an out and back as that bush wack'n at the end is for the birds. ;) After this high wind winter I expect thoses great summer trails are going to be a mess.

As for the location of Funny Rocks it's off of Manastash Ridge Road and below Manastash Lake near Ellensburg. I have a Topo map if your interested.:thumbsup:

Directions:
East on I-90
Take exit 106 and turn RIGHT just before the KOA camp grounds.
Turn LEFT onto Hanson Rd.
Follow Hanson Rd until stop sign.
Turn LEFT on Cove Rd.
Turn RIGHT on Manastash Rd.

http://perljam.net/motorcycle/funny-rocks-trials-20060827/leg3

·
m0un#a!n 8ik3r
251 Posts
Funny Rocks.. kewl.. I'd go ride there just for the name!!! :D

No but seriously.. J Cass was once telling me about some fun terrain he'd found in the Manastash Ridge area. Post a ride there this summer, Hawkens.. I'll try my best come join! Could even be done as a campout, with Cowiche Canyon the next day...

And um sure I would like a map, if ya got one. thanks in advance.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Crazy, I've driven those roads in my 4-by tons of times and I've never seen or heard about those. Lots of cool trails up there in Manastash though, I'm thinking about doing a peaches ridge shuttle come summer. According to the map its like 20 miles of downhill and ridge trail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny Rocks

I've been up there many times on my dirt bike and even that is a trek, but getting there on a MTB would sure make you apreciate it. If you like jeeps rolling, it's a cool place to watch, otherwise a mid week ride would keep you from getting run over on the tight dusty trails. Great Views

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Thanks for asking Hawkens. It does look worthy.

Clutchman, which way are you planning on going off Peaches? Nothing, and I do mean nothing, is just all down hill from there. You could do a run from there to Taneum Junction via a few different ways which is at least all sorta down stream. DLB will remember a shuttle we did from there a few years ago where we went down S. FK Manastash to Shoestring, cut across the stoopid jeep trails to Hoyt and then down Hoyt to Taneum Junction as a shuttle. The only funny thing about that run would be getting your shuttle monkey friend talked into it ('cuz its a shuttle, right?) and then see his face 20 miles later....

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Yeah, I posted that a while ago before I got ahold of some more detailed stuff. I was thinking about parking one truck at Taneum Junction, then driving up over on 3330 to the top of Quartz Mtn. and riding the Peaches Ridge trail down to the saddle, hook a left on S. Fork Taneum Creek trail over to the North Fork and then running that trail east all the way back to Taneum Jct. Now I know the North Fork trail is a total roller coaster but I really love running it in the mostly downhill direction. I'm not sure I could talk Jason into that one, maybe next year. Does anybody know if the top is snowed in? I know Quartz Mtn is up around 6k feet if I remember correctly. I'd imagine it's a no go right now but the weather has been pretty decent lately.

I've done the pedal up there from the Shoestring lake trailhead which is a really nice ride. I don't think I'd attempt it all the way from Taneum Jct. considering how little XC riding I've been doing lately. I pedaled up to Hoyt Mining trail about 2 months ago which wasn't too bad but It would definitely be an all day affair if I was going to give it a shot.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
It's probably fine now but that will change by Thursday. We once did the loop from Taneum Jct up to S Fk Taneum, then south over to Shoestring and up S Fk Manastash to Peaches and back down via Taneum Ridge from the top. Great ride. N. Fk is definately a hoot going down but a real [email protected] based on moto over use. IMHO

Hawkens and I were talking about doing the Shoestring/Keenan stuff this weekend after Rat Pac etc last weekend under great weather but I think by this weekend it will all be under snow again.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
No! Don't say that! I busted my Nixon front fork coming down the Taneum Ridge short loop 2 weeks ago and just unloaded all my $ on a bunch of new stuff for my bike. I'm waiting for my new Magura Wotan in the mail and we were hoping to shake it down on Kachess Ridge on Saturday. I'm crossing my fingers it will still be clear! Last time I rode it was a couple weeks ago when we had all those rainstorms coming through and that was not a totally pleasant experience. It was snowing pretty heavily at the top, but it seems to have warmed up a bit since then so we were going to give it a shot.

By the way, that S. Fk Taneum to Shoestring to all that stuff sounds pretty friggen epic! If the Kachess thing falls through I'd love to go ride with you guys if you don't mind having a fat out of shape shuttler chasing you up the hill. I'm pretty slow on the climbs but I don't mind going uphill like most of the guys I ride with.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Sorry, I'm pretty sure anything over 3K will be buried. Whew, and you could have wasted your time at Krapese too. (It's a joke, eveyone knows I don't like that ride...)

Cle Elum Ridge might still be okay though or the lower stuff off the West Fork or Middle Teanaway. It's all at only 2K or so.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Bummer, I knew I was going to have to plan for west-side riding here pretty soon but I was hoping the weather would hold out for another week or two. What the hell, we might give Krapese as you call it (personally I think it's fun, try shuttling I guess! That climb looks like a pukefest but I cannot attest to having done it) a shot anyways. Sometimes a little snow makes it interesting. Weather report looks like snow but not too harsh. Guess it's time to wax up the skis again!

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
The climb isn't bad at all actually. Shuttle that? Never. More time waiting for a rig than riding doesn't sound like fun and it's definately not a big bike run.

Back on thread: Maybe farther east towards Funny Rocks would be worth it. I have heard that there is some riding out near Vantage too. Or, the Sage Hill trails outside Wenatchee? I have always wanted to ride those ever since Grant Goodeve did some schmaltzy NW Backroads segment on it. I think Skooks has ridden it and claimed it good.
That's definately got to be lower. Plus, all the valley stuff around Roslyn and the back side. Borrego knows some of it though I try to keep getting him to ride more of it.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Looks like fun! Thanks for the pics, I think messing around with MTB's up there would be a blast. Crawl the 4x4 up with bikes on the back, ride the bikes down!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.