Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedgoat's website says "nobody has worn one out yet". I would normally dismiss that as marketing hyperbole but experience has me wondering. When I ran full gears, I would replace my RF rings every year along with the rest of the drivetrain. About 18 months ago, I went with a 1x9 setup and put a Spot coated ring on. To date, I've just put my third chain on and there is no detectable wear on the chainring. There is no burr pushing up on the teeth, no change in the tooth profile, and the latest new chain fits perfectly with no "lift" when you put pressure on the cranks with the brakes fully applied. Now I'm wondering how long I can go with this chainring.

Since prices are always going up and 5-arm rings seem to be taking a back seat to 4-arm cranks, I'm wondering if I should stock up on at least one Spot chainring? Or will the one I've got be enough for a lifetime? :D

Your experience?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shiggy said:
Yes, I have (a 34-110) and in less than a year. Spot made that claim on their web site. I never believed it.

The Surly stainless steel rings are much more durable.
Do they only make one kind of ring - aluminum with some sort of hardening treatment? I wonder if our rings were made the same? Mine is 32-94, but that shouldn't make a difference.

What's funny is, I originally intended on getting a Surly SS ring but QBP was out of stock so I went with the Spot as a wild card.

Interesting.:crazy:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
steiny said:
Do they only make one kind of ring - aluminum with some sort of hardening treatment? I wonder if our rings were made the same? Mine is 32-94, but that shouldn't make a difference.

What's funny is, I originally intended on getting a Surly SS ring but QBP was out of stock so I went with the Spot as a wild card.

Interesting.:crazy:
They did then. A hard ano 7000 series aluminum. Looked very much like a Surly aluminum ring except for the finish.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
steiny said:
Speedgoat's website says "nobody has worn one out yet". I would normally dismiss that as marketing hyperbole but experience has me wondering. Now I'm wondering how long I can go with this chainring.

Since prices are always going up and 5-arm rings seem to be taking a back seat to 4-arm cranks, I'm wondering if I should stock up on at least one Spot chainring? Or will the one I've got be enough for a lifetime? :D

Your experience?
This is mine about a year ago; 3 years old and still in one piece; go figure..:yesnod:

1G1G, Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
No!

I still have a 36 tooth gold chainring that was original equipment on my BuSS when i bought it used, i rode it alot more, now it's on a different bike, my 2x2 commuter, where it is used sparingly for steep climbs. many, many miles, and not that much wear. maybe this helps: good chainline and i keep my drivetrain pretty clean.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
shiggy said:
Looks pretty shark-toothed to me, Brad. I replace mine when they look like that.
Agreed with Mr. Shig on this one. Once they start getting shark toothed they should be replaced.

BTW which would last longer:
SPOT?
Blackspire?
Boone?
Assuming that everything else is equal. Know that steel will last longer than alloy, but what about ti?

·
DiscoCowboy
342 Posts
No more Spot for me...

don't last long and are overpriced, Blackspires wear out even quicker about the same as Salsa's. So far the Surly has lasted the longest and had the most miles on it.

Dunno about ti, but unless it lasts 4x longer than a Surly, not worth it to me to save a couple grams.

crux said:
Agreed with Mr. Shig on this one. Once they start getting shark toothed they should be replaced.

BTW which would last longer:
SPOT?
Blackspire?
Boone?
Assuming that everything else is equal. Know that steel will last longer than alloy, but what about ti?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used a Spot 94-32 for 6 years; it was certainly worn, but not worn out. But c'mon, everything wears out eventually, especially on a SS! I switched to a 110 XTR crank and couldn't find a 110-34 Spot ring, so I went with the Surly stainless instead. They're durable, but heavy. The Spot is more bling. They're still trying to make the transition from B.C. to CO, so nothing will be available for a while.

·
Team Captain
1,322 Posts
I personally love my Blackspire steel rings. Over the years I've used 22's and 24's on my trials bike and everything between 32-40 on my 4X rig. I never was big on aluminum rings for non-shifting purposes. I've tried Salsa SS rings, and those things got chewed up faster than a steak in a dog pound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.