Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anybody out there has tried making a hybrid fork with an answer/manitou 1.5 steerer and stanchions mated to a Marzocchi lowers and internals?
Would it work seeing how both are 32mm stanchions?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Hey, I'm running a Manitou Firefly Plus coil spring in one leg of a Z150SL...does that count? Well, maybe not. I don't have my Flick Plus in the shop right now (a friend has it borrowed), or I'd go and measure the OD on my Marz fork stanchions against it to see if they are both exactly 32mm...I mean they would have to be "exact". Plus a myriad of other issues could come into play here like which internals you're going to use to match with attaching the Marz lowers...wait...you'd have to use Manitou internals to match the top caps...my head is starting to hurt just thinking about all the variables. I have a Flick Plus and two hybrid Z150SLs, but I wouldn't waste my time trying to swap the necessary parts around to see if they'd fit and possibly put one or more expensive fork parts at risk of damage. I think I see where you're trying to go, but this means you may have a Breakout or B+ with a 1.5 steerer which is a pretty darned good fork. Are you trying to achieve Marz damper carts and internals or just the Marz lowers or what?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More details

I love the Marzocchi dampers aswell as the open bath design. So what I want to do is only swap out the crown steerer tube assembly on the 1.5 manitou and run everything else Marzocchi, top caps, dampers, eta, lowers bushings etc etc
The reason is that I can't stand seeing an awesome Intense 6.6 frame with a 1.5 headtube and then reduce it and run a 1 1/8 fork. So there you have it if you have the parts you could easily check, the variable here would be top caps, stanchion diameter and length that is it.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I wonder...

gkler said:
I love the Marzocchi dampers aswell as the open bath design. So what I want to do is only swap out the crown steerer tube assembly on the 1.5 manitou and run everything else Marzocchi, top caps, dampers, eta, lowers bushings etc etc
The reason is that I can't stand seeing an awesome Intense 6.6 frame with a 1.5 headtube and then reduce it and run a 1 1/8 fork. So there you have it if you have the parts you could easily check, the variable here would be top caps, stanchion diameter and length that is it.
If the threading in the top cap area of Manitou stanchions will be identical to the Marz 32 mm stanchions? I'm off today, but I'll try to go by the shop with some vernier calipers and check OD. I think you're pursuit may be unnecessary, but it sounds interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.