Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally our trip to Bayville/Toms River is gonna happen. Leaving NH on the 8th and plan to ride 1/2 day on the 9th. So far, looks like Hartshorne is our best bet, not too confusing and decent mileage.

Looking at the map, I'm thinking of parking at the Buttermilk Valley Entrance then do a clockwise loop:
1. Laurel Ridge
2. First left onto Grand Tour
3. Grand Tour halfway round Monmouth Hills
4. Connect to Battery Loop
5. Battery Loop and do some sightseeing
6. Back to Grand Tour finishing half round Monmouth Hills
7. Back to Laurel Ridge
8. Finish on Buttermilk Trail head

I figure, from the guide I found at monmouthcountyparks.com, this loop would be roughly 7-7.5miles which I feel is good enough. Dunno if we will be up for Rocky Point Trail as a alternate for Battery Loop though.

You think this is good enough? Or any suggestions?

Also, heading up on GSP, mtbnj says Exit 109 but it seems that Exit 114 is less confusing and possibly less traffic lights? Sorry not familiar with the area.

Any more tips for us?

Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Will change the loop to include Rocky Point. Maybe just do Rocky Point and Grand Tour and we still have some steam left, do some more extra trails. Probably head up early Friday morning from Bayville.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnnieA and Rogueldr:
Thanks for suggesting Rocky Point. We went to Hartshorne today and parked at the Rocky Point lot. Did Rocky Point Grand Tour to Laurel Ridge then back on Grand Tour. After a little rest did some of Cuesta Ridge till we ran out if steam. Was very hot and humid out there.

We had tons of fun. Had to admit walked parts of Rocky Point especially ones littered with big roots and sand on the uphills.

A great trail system, very good flows in quite a number of spots

Too bad we won't get to Allaire as the wife is already giving us the look. Next time..........

·
Registered
836 Posts
took a vaca there and ended up going laurel ridge- grand tour- rocky point all the way around back to cuesta ridge then laurel back to the buttermilk parking lot. really fun place so much so i went back instead of trying a new place. wasn't super difficult, if i remember right two climbs on rocky point were tough from a cardio-leg stand point but the hardpack had tons of traction. i did notice a couple points of rocky point were getting pretty wide from people trying to take the easy route which is kind of a bummer, but whoever does the trail building maintenance does a great job of trying to keep tat stuff at bay. i definately recommend it for anybody looking for a new place to ride. if i remember right i did about 11.5 miles and hit the two diamonds and trails connecting them. not that much as far as mileage but it is so fun you could do the loop twice

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
adumb which direction did you go on Rocky Point. We did clockwise and there was this climb that runs alongside the river that we had to walk. Sure it will be fun going the other way. There was another on Grand Tour, after meeting up with Laurel and crossing Cuesta, the one that loops back to Cuesta. We walked up in cw but did it again ccw and it was more fun.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i did rocky point clockwise and did grand tour counter clockwise...some of the sections we super fast with some banked turns in them almost like a bob sled run. most of the stuff in mass where i ride is bumpy rocky descents it was nice to have some smooth stuff and enjoy railing some corners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.