Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check it out: http://www.hartlett.co.uk/hw.htm

WB bought the US patent rights to the system.

This new QR thru axle system looks to be much faster to use than the Maxle RS system that must be unscrewed. Seems to be pretty bomber as well. The down side is I'll have to buy new lowers for my WB 130mm forks. May need a bigger than 20mm hub as well, not sure yet.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I'd seen the Hartlett mentioned in Bike mag; good to see WB committed to a competitive product in all areas. Rock Shox' Maxle is a real selling point for them, but this system does look like an interesting alternative.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Hang on a second....
the 100mm Magic fork with thru-axle is already $795...
yes, you read that correctly....SEVEN HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE DOLLARS.

this seems odd to me.

considering the market share that WB has...you'd think they'd want to come to the scene with something a bit more cost effective.

i can only imagine that the cost of the forks will go up even more with this new "feature."

i loved the stiffness that my WB forks offered me...but that list stops there.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
This is cool to hear. I remember seeing the initial design data on the hartlett design and it's neat that this started from independent, humble beginnings.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Padre said:
Hang on a second....
the 100mm Magic fork with thru-axle is already $795...
yes, you read that correctly....SEVEN HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE DOLLARS.

this seems odd to me.

considering the market share that WB has...you'd think they'd want to come to the scene with something a bit more cost effective.

i can only imagine that the cost of the forks will go up even more with this new "feature."

i loved the stiffness that my WB forks offered me...but that list stops there.
I do not see that this means a substantial increase in the fork price. I am sure it will go up but through axles are mostly proprietary already.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
29erchico said:
Check it out: http://www.hartlett.co.uk/hw.htm

WB bought the US patent rights to the system.

This new QR thru axle system looks to be much faster to use than the Maxle RS system that must be unscrewed. Seems to be pretty bomber as well. The down side is I'll have to buy new lowers for my WB 130mm forks. May need a bigger than 20mm hub as well, not sure yet.
Much faster than a Maxle? What, screwing my Maxle 4 turns takes all of 3 seconds.....crap, I gotta toss my Pike, that is clearly too much extra time and it's ruining my life.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More Hartlett info:

Faster than lawyer lip equipped standard QR fork wheel removal. Flip release lever, rotate axle aprox. 30 degrees and yank out axle.

Designed around the 20mm standard so no building new wheels for current standard T/A users.

Really looking forward to getting this system, and Mikesee's style plushness upgrades, on my WB 130mm forks. Now if I can just talk them into a Marz/Mav style lockdown system for climbing I'll have it all.

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
Rivet said:
Much faster than a Maxle? What, screwing my Maxle 4 turns takes all of 3 seconds.....crap, I gotta toss my Pike, that is clearly too much extra time and it's ruining my life.
I'm certainly not knocking the Maxle's because they're super sweetious, but the Hartlett IS actually faster. Haven't ridden one yet, just diddled with the axle.

Hard to go wrong with either, IMO.

MC

·
Registered
123 Posts
who makes a 20mm thru axle rear hub?

Preferable a SS cassette style? I've only ever located 12mm thru axle for the rear.

Maybe that axle dia would leave no room for the pawls of a cassette (Tho I've never taken a rear hub apart to look at the arrangement.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
bobde said:
Preferable a SS cassette style? I've only ever located 12mm thru axle for the rear.

Maybe that axle dia would leave no room for the pawls of a cassette (Tho I've never taken a rear hub apart to look at the arrangement.

No one. As would leave no room for the cogs and bearings. 12mm is as big as they make them (and the frame needs to be build to accept it).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.