Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Case/Res

woodyak said:
I will be traveling to Hartford for a couple of days in a week or two and I'd like to sneak a ride in. Anything cool close to Hartford? I prefer techy stuff but I'll take anything I can get.
The place closest to Hartford would be West Hartford Res. Its a good riding spot, some techy stuff, but pretty beat down - it gets a lot of traffic. Similar situation at the second closest riding spot - Case Mountain in Manchester/Glastonbury - though probably a bit more tech at Case.

Let me know if you're looking for a tour, if our schedules line up I could show you Case - its a good after work ride.

John

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
One of the wonderful things about Connecticut is how close everything is.

I usually ride the res. because it's within riding distance from my house, or on the way home from work. When people ride with me there for the first time they think it's super technical. I've never felt this way, but I ride there all the time.

Case on the other hand, has more rock features, drains well, has some man-made features if you know where to look, is steeper and would be my choice of the two.

Nassahegon has some of the tightest, twistiest singletrack the state has two offer. It's about 1/2 NW of Hartford. Similar to Case as far as rock features, but tighter, and less traffic.
Here's a couple of Nassahegon features:

Sorry for the crappy camera phone pics; they don't do justice to the height or twistiness.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jisch said:
The place closest to Hartford would be West Hartford Res. Its a good riding spot, some techy stuff, but pretty beat down - it gets a lot of traffic. Similar situation at the second closest riding spot - Case Mountain in Manchester/Glastonbury - though probably a bit more tech at Case.

Let me know if you're looking for a tour, if our schedules line up I could show you Case - its a good after work ride.

John
Thanks for the offer. I'd much rather have the tour. I hate hearing that I missed all the good stuff. I'll contact you when I know my schedule. Some of my work will be after hours but I could probably do that work after my ride if necessary.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Yeah, Case is definitely a maze of trails. Let me know your schedule - I need to take some time off soon so maybe it will line up for a day time ride.

John

·
Registered
79 Posts
Perfect timing on this thread, I just moved to West Hartford from Maine a week ago! Where's the best spot to jump into the Reservoir trails? I haven't been out there at all yet but I'm less than 2 mi from the Reservoir. Should I be looking at a map before I go out there if I go alone or is it marked up?

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Definitely look at a map (www.bikerag.com), though I suspect you could jump on someone's wheel easily enough. Generally, if things haven't changed much from years ago when I used to ride there, people go clockwise starting from the lower parking lot - head out to your left if you're heading into the parking lot and look for the singletrack exiting to the left of the paved path.

The parking lot is at the back of the MDC right off of route 4 - directions to the parking lot are at Bikerag as well.

John (and welcome to CT!).

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
knightscape said:
Perfect timing on this thread, I just moved to West Hartford from Maine a week ago! Where's the best spot to jump into the Reservoir trails? I haven't been out there at all yet but I'm less than 2 mi from the Reservoir. Should I be looking at a map before I go out there if I go alone or is it marked up?
There is a group ride every Sunday from the main lot on RT 4 @ 8:00 AM.
Ask for Charlie (he's usually wearing a Nemba trail ambassador jersey).

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
knightscape said:
I ride the Rez after work often on Wed nights, start around 5:30. I would be happy to show you a round sometime. As mentioned before Nassahegan in Burlington Rocks! I ride there quite a bit on the weekends, usually early on Sunday mornings with some friends. If you are intrested in joining us for a ride shoot me a PM or email.

Other good spots to check out close by are Penwood in Simsbury and Nepaug in Canton & Case in Manchester

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I headed out there for a quick ride tonight. The cliffs up on top of the hill are pretty cool. I've definitely got some exploring to do.

Tim, I'll PM you for a ride in a couple weeks after I get back from a trip I'm heading out for. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts