Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help with the choice,

Looking for xc bike between $500-600 range and found that I can buy these in that range: Haro xls r3, Ibex ignition 2, and Jamis Dakar. I prefer to buy from local bike store (Haro & Jamis) to do tuneups and stuff but by reading Ibex reviews I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. So which should I choose? Bike store staff suggest Jamis for "quality" as well as lifetime frame warranty and probably the name but by reading reviews Haro seems like a better deal.

I will be a weekend rider, nothing crazy, just riding for fun and I want a reliable low maintenance bike since I don't have much time to fix stuff. I am 6 fett, 220lbs so taking that into consideration what parts should I pay most attention to? Shocks? Bottom bracket????

Thanks everyone, need to decide by this thurs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven't ridden the Haro or the Ibex, but i did a full day test ride on a dakar and loved it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at all, they're great bikes. Even with lower end components, the bike was fairly light and a good climber, and also sweet on descents to. Definately a good buy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After test riding the Haro and Jamis, I would think long and hard about what my intended use is. Do you see yourself possibly really getting into biking, possibly doing a couple of races, etc.? If so, I would especially concentrate on the high dollar stuff like the frame, fork, wheelset, and cranks and make sure those are as top notch as they can get at your pricepoint. Make sure to allow for some good pedals and shoes (maybe score an Eggbeater/shoe combo online or maybe get thrown in for a good price at the LBS). Have fun with your decision!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.