Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase my first FS bike and am considering a Haro in my short list. Also included is a Trek EX8.

I have a couple questions, that perhaps someone might be nice to answer:
1. I see the Haro Sonix S was Bike of the Year in a magazine. Can't find it on Haro's web site. I assume it's been replaced by the Sonix Comp?
2. What's the weight for a small sized Sonix S?

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey rrpalma, I first must say I ride a Haro Xeon S (same suspenion design just 160mm instead of 120mm) I didnt find the review posted in the link too accurate. First the gentleman writing the review was riding a demo bike, so who knows what the condition of the Sonix was in mechanically (especially because of the creaking sound he mentioned, that has "in need maintenace written all over it". ANY full suspension bike will need to be serviced and cared for appropatly. Second It didnt sound like he had the sag properly adjusted which plays a big role on these bikes, and dont let that scare you, these bikes have just been engineered that way to produce the beautiful results that they are capable of.

I found it very odd that he had the suspension locked during his climbs, because the design of these bikes give very little bob if any really. And to be honest with you, I have only test rode my bike with it locked (I like the plush feeling, and I find it climbs better with the suspension unlocked). When pedaling up steep hills I think my Xeon climbs like a mule, literally! Every pedal stroke the back will just dig its way right up the hill, and Ive climbed some very steep dirt hills. Heck one ride I about passed out at the top because it was so steep and I said to myself hmm if the bike is willing and capable then I NEED to be able climb it. He also mentioned that he had trouble keeping the front end down during climbs, all I can say about that is if your climbing a very very steep hill why would you be sitting with your weight over the rear? You need to adjust your weight properly on the bike, its about common physics. Same as when you descend, would you put your weight to the front of the bike..? No of course not! Same is true with dirt bike and atv's when climbing or descending.

All in all I really love my Haro! And I can tell you Haro has Excellent customer service, which in this day and age is worth more than words can say. I can also say this, you will be paying more for the Trek than the Haro, and I can bet you the Haro will have better parts for the $ ;)

Not too sure what type of bike your looking at purchasing for your intended riding style, but you should also consider the Xeon line. Im a very very savy shopper and I researched bikes to death (mad hours looking and contemplating my purchase). I compared everything from travel, suspension designs, shocks, forks, brakes, drivetrain, shifters, you name it and I compared. Im extremely happy that purchased Haro (and you cant beat the price parts and ride). Everything from the suspension design, customer service, parts package, quality welds and the damn sexy look of my bike, oh and I cant forget to mention the awesome ride it gives me!

I hope your shopping goes well for you and I wish you the best of luck in your new purchase, and dont let those bike store guys sell you on that Trek (just because thats what they sale ;) ) Im not knocking Trek by any means but hey Im a Haro ride'a.

BTW there are much better reviews out there for that Sonix than what was posted.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for both your comments.

Actually, I did identify myself with the test rider, since I'm also a lightweight rider (about 132 lbs):
I am a lightweight rider, only 125 lbs., and pedaling heavy bikes becomes a factor on the longer riders of three hours or more. In the back of my mind I was dreading the climb due to the weight of the bike
and this is *very* important to me, since I also have to live with it:
A lot times I get bounced around on the rough trails when the speed gets faster. In the past this was due to my light weight and riding stiff XC bikes.
Most of my riding is XC, with very few to none small jumps. Bike needs to be lightweight and a very good climber.

I know the Trek EX 8 is 28 lbs. How much does the Haro Sonix Comp weigh? Is the Sonix Comp the new VLS120?

Thanks again for reading!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Jill will chime in after her beauty rest and answer the weight question and more technical advise. :thumbsup:

Also take into consideration what Jill suggested and asked from BAM being a test bike not a personal bike does make a difference which is why Jill wanted him to reevaluate some of his first impressions. :rockon:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your best bet is to go and test ride the bikes your looking at ;) Then you will know whether you you like either of them or maybe something else may catch your interest.

Being you feel similar to the tester of the above review look at this quote or quotes below and lets put them all together:

"It had been a long time since I've ridden an XC trail bike with more than 3 inches of suspension travel."

That right there should tell you somthing.. What did he have to base his review off of.

This quote below goes Hand in hand with the above quote I posted:
" A lot times I get bounced around on the rough trails when the speed gets faster. In the past this was due to my light weight and riding stiff XC "

And we cannot forget this quote either:
"My past rides at Downieville have either been on a hardtail or on a FS with only 3 inches of travel."

So if we add up the Review with those quotes this should be telling you something.

This is my take on his review. And you really need to remember, you dont know this guy or anybody on the internet for that matter. You should take whatever you read like a grain of salt, review everything and make your own decision, everyone is biased. Everybody has different preferences, tastes and opinions on the same subjects. Look at reviews on ANYTHING on the internet some people will just love whatever it is, and some people will hate it.

Not sure if you've looked at this place for a bike yet but here is a link for a Sonix:
http://greenfishsports.com/product/...ke-Haro-Haro-Sonix-LT-Mountain-Bike-2008.html

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Sorry it's taken me a day or two to chime in...I've been sick. :(

Anyhow, starting from the top. It was actually the 2006 Werx Sonix that was voted Mountain Biking magazine's Bike of the Year. The frame on that bike and the Sonix S you are considering are identical...only the parts spec'd on the bike are different.

The Sonix S has been replaced by the Sonix Comp. You can actually access our archived websites here: http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/subNav3.php

I don't have the weight on the small size Sonix S; the medium size weighed in at about 28lbs.
If you are riding XC, the Sonix would be a better choice for you than the Xeon, IMHO.

Like a couple people have said, take reviews for what they are worth...they are great tools but at the end of the day they are simply one person's opinion. The vast majority of reviews we've had on the Sonix bikes have been super positive...but every now and then we'll get a review where it just wasn't that person's cup of tea. That's just the nature of bikes...ask 10 people to give you their opinion of what bike you should buy and you'll likely get 10 different answers.

A magazine editor brought up a really good point not long ago: if you have $1,500 or more to spend on a bike, it's hard to buy a bad one. There are a LOT of great bikes on the market these days. You'll just need to pick the one that suits your riding style and budget.

·
Registered
233 Posts
rrpalma said:
I'm about to purchase my first FS bike and am considering a Haro in my short list. Also included is a Trek EX8.

I have a couple questions, that perhaps someone might be nice to answer:
1. I see the Haro Sonix S was Bike of the Year in a magazine. Can't find it on Haro's web site. I assume it's been replaced by the Sonix Comp?
2. What's the weight for a small sized Sonix S?

Thanks!
...if you have questions, and have not bought yet, i have a '08 sonix comp and so far so good...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.